Author Topic: Will Brogdon avocado seedlings eventually produce SIMILAR decent fruit?  (Read 1022 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
I realize all/most avocados do not grow true, but some of my neighbors who I have given Brogdons to have asked me if it's worth planting the seeds.  I have already told them all to buy a grafted tree, but with some people they won't listen & that will just never happen...........................So will planting a Brogdon seed or any avocado seed USUALLY & EVENTUALLY produce something SIMILAR to the parent tree or is it a total crap shoot what you'll get MOST of the time?  Thanks.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
It’s more likely they will get an inferior fruit and if your neighbors are older they may never get a chance to taste a fruit. It’s not to say never to try from seed though. I’ve planted quite a few avocado seeds and I had one fruit after two years, that’s out of hundreds., and it’s delicious.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Don't waste your time on seedlings.  My Brogdon/Waldin is now a rootstock hosting 4 healthy, vigorously growing GEM grafts/branches.

For S. Florida I'd recommend Reed, which used to be sold commercially there.  It laughs off heat.  My greenhouse recently hit 112F until I got to it and gave everything a shower.  No damage. 

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
It should produce something similar.  Especially if the tree was not cross pollinated.  Of course grafting it is a guarantee.  But something new and unknown could be good too.  You can always let the tree grow a bit and just graft some of the branches and leave some alone.
Brad Spaugh

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
I only buy grafted trees, but have cheap neighbors. 
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Don't waste your time on seedlings.  My Brogdon/Waldin is now a rootstock hosting 4 healthy, vigorously growing GEM grafts/branches.

For S. Florida I'd recommend Reed, which used to be sold commercially there.  It laughs off heat.  My greenhouse recently hit 112F until I got to it and gave everything a shower.  No damage.

Actually here in Florida 9B cold hardiness is a bigger issue than heat.  Overnight winter temps on below 25 during cold snaps are not uncommon. Record low is 22.  Have lost a Florida Haas, Harvey Lemon & 2 Navel Orange trees to cold weather in the past.     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk