Author Topic: LaVerne's Vietnamese Cherimoya Info  (Read 20165 times)

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
Re: LaVerne's Vietnamese Cherimoya Info
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 02:42:18 PM »
Hey Clay, have you tried the Vurtnamese variety somewhere before? What didn't you like about it?

Tanguy, thanks for the information. Whatever those varieties from some Vietnamese supermarkets are, they are excellent tasting. The ones from Lucky Seafood in Mira Mesa are top notch, they don't have any yet.
Simon

Whites, Honey Hearts, Vietnamese....This is what they sell at most of the farmers markets out here in Temecula....I'm not to crazy about the sweet cherimoyas that lack acidity....these are  mainly just sweet....not my favorites....not really worth precious space in the yard when their are so many more better top tier Cherimoyas like:

EL Bumpo
Chaffey
Booth
Peirce
Sabor
Big Sister
Fino De Jete

I onced purchased a very smooth cherimoya.. no bumps at all almost perfectly smooth skin. the flesh was wonderful, it was really creamy.. almost like ice cream.. any idea what variety that could have been? I thought it might be honeyhart.

I like a little acid to my fruits too, I already have the vietnamese in ground.. hopefully good fruits, if not I can graft it over to something else. though I'm sure they'll be pretty good

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 02:49:13 PM »
The cherimoyas that I got from Westminster "Superstore" last week look different than your posted pictures, Simon.I wonder what variety this is...
But the taste is just like you described: "I love the juiciness, sweetness, great acidity and large size. It was not fibrous at all. The tree is a little leggy and can get very large."; other word: excellent! :)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:52:44 PM by Samu »
Sam

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 02:59:07 PM »
99 ranch is selling cherimoya for 4.99, I picked up one little bit over a pound, I don't expect it to taste great.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
Sam, those look like Dr White. I have one fruiting in my yard with fruit that look identical. It's one of my favorite varieties. Super juicy and nice size.

Simon

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
Maybe I'm just out on my own on this, but my General consensus is that almost every Cherimoya has that classic Creamy Ice cream, dip with a spoon, texture once ripened. All are very sweet with that classic Cherimoya flavor. A few have very acidic flavors thrown in there giving Lemony and Pineapple flavors thrown into it....Those are *my* favorite... El Bumpo is King of the sweet Moyas, far more concentrated with a small amount of acidity for balance.

For the most part, many of the them taste almost identical in flavor, and differ only in  outer appearance which may be more bumpy or more smooth, slightly sweeter, more or less seedy, small or large.... flavor is almost the same on many of them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:47:29 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »
Maybe I'm just out on my own on this, but my General consensus is the almost every Cherimoya has that classic Creamy Ice cream, dip with a spoon, texture once ripened. All are very sweet with that classic Cherimoya flavor. A few have very acidic flavors thrown in there giving Lemony and Pineapple flavors thron in there....Those are *my* favorite... El Bumpo is King of the sweet Moyas, far more concentrated with a small amount of acidity for balance.

For the most part, many of the them taste almost identical in flavor, and differ only in  outer appearance which may be more bumpy or more smooth, slightly sweeter, more or less seedy, small or large.... flavor is almost the same on many of them.

I understand what you're saying.. lol they all have nice texture, usually really juicy.. but the one i am talking about was particularly creamy.. like dairy.. like half and half..almost unbelievable..  I actually saved the seeds from it, I had a nice one growing, but used it as rootstock for a custard apple, I think it might be time to germinate more seeds.. lol

mushroombob

• Logan, Utah, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 08:26:36 PM »
Last year I went to a tasting at the south coast research station in Irvine. Most of the fruits tasted similar, but there were definitely a few that stood out above the rest.

I am still waiting for them to release the variety names that went along with the numbers

I think #17 was my favorite, in case anyone has the inside scoop

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 10:13:52 PM »
They're not going to release the variety names for numbers. They only released the top 3 favorites for 2014.

Texture: Lucida, Deliciosa, Selma
Flavor: El Bumpo(by a clear margin), Selma, Lucida

Overall(all very close): Lucida, El Bumpo, Selma

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »
They're not going to release the variety names for numbers. They only released the top 3 favorites for 2014.

Texture: Lucida, Deliciosa, Selma
Flavor: El Bumpo(by a clear margin), Selma, Lucida

Overall(all very close): Lucida, El Bumpo, Selma

All I need is Selma to complete my bucket lists!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 11:19:44 PM »

From what JF/Behl said, maybe San Mateo/Cumbe also? :)
Thera

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 11:53:04 PM »

From what JF/Behl said, maybe San Mateo/Cumbe also? :)

Ahh Yes, That Watermelon size Cherimoya!!!! I want one lol

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »
Is that the super sized cherimoya from Peru? I would love scion if anyone gets ahold of any. I have a friend from Peru and I asked him to keep an eye out for any giant cherimoya when he goes back to visit. I wonder about the quality.

Simon

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 11:01:02 AM »
Is that the super sized cherimoya from Peru? I would love scion if anyone gets ahold of any. I have a friend from Peru and I asked him to keep an eye out for any giant cherimoya when he goes back to visit. I wonder about the quality.

Simon

Yeah I think the Cumbe is th eone that could feed a village.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
Sam, those look like Dr White. I have one fruiting in my yard with fruit that look identical. It's one of my favorite varieties. Super juicy and nice size.

Simon

So, yours have that great acidic taste too? That's what my wife and I and everyone else we gave the fruits too liking these so much. One of them call the fruit a  "Sweetsop"! Well, pretty close, but even better, cause it's fiberless.  ;D
Hmm, I wonder what the other varieties that I haven't tried out there taste like? I can't imagine other cherimoyas can be better? (Before I started reading this forum 3-4 months ago, I had no idea that there are so many varieties out there...duh!). Oh, we are so blessed!  :D
Sam

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »

Simon

So, yours have that great acidic taste too? That's what my wife and I and everyone else we gave the fruits too liking these so much. One of them call the fruit a  "Sweetsop"! Well, pretty close, but even better, cause it's fiberless.  ;D
Hmm, I wonder what the other varieties that I haven't tried out there taste like? I can't imagine other cherimoyas can be better? (Before I started reading this forum 3-4 months ago, I had no idea that there are so many varieties out there...duh!). Oh, we are so blessed!  :D

Yeah Socal has the best of both worlds! Stone fruits and tropical.... I'm looking into top Tier Variety Figs at the moment..... There is an entire forum dedicated to Figs (Yeah go *Fig*ure)... seems their are fig nuts out their just like us tropical nuts..... with over a  100 fig varieties....I think this is worth looking into since Socal has arguably one of the best climates to grow them as while the tree fruits, it needs next to zero water which otherwise spoils the fruit or degrades the quality in some cases.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 05:37:18 PM »
Yes, I notice there are a lot of fig lovers too, but I am not there...yet. 
I am just content with what a few young trees that I have, so I 'd just
staying at the minor league, for now ... :D
Sam

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »

Simon

Yeah Socal has the best of both worlds! Stone fruits and tropical.... I'm looking into top Tier Variety Figs at the moment..... There is an entire forum dedicated to Figs (Yeah go *Fig*ure)... seems their are fig nuts out their just like us tropical nuts..... with over a  100 fig varieties....I think this is worth looking into since Socal has arguably one of the best climates to grow them as while the tree fruits, it needs next to zero water which otherwise spoils the fruit or degrades the quality in some cases.

Fig trees are definitely drought tolerant, but I'm not sure how much fruit you'd get from a non irrigated tree. Mine is the most productive with water.

Another concern is their  spreading root system,  if you plant on not watering plant it far from a house, patio or plumbing lines.. lol I've had fig roots grow up into 5 gallon pots under the fig tree, and even like 10 to 15 feet away from the tree! always shocked, but I know their fig roots because they smell like fig when broken!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 08:36:25 PM »

Simon

Fig trees are definitely drought tolerant, but I'm not sure how much fruit you'd get from a non irrigated tree. Mine is the most productive with water.

Another concern is their  spreading root system,  if you plant on not watering plant it far from a house, patio or plumbing lines.. lol I've had fig roots grow up into 5 gallon pots under the fig tree, and even like 10 to 15 feet away from the tree! always shocked, but I know their fig roots because they smell like fig when broken!

O wow that doesn't sound good! are you saying I shouldn't plant any fig trees along the raised patio wall where the roots could potentially burst through? because this like the only place left for them.

Most productive with water? Well from the reports I read, I think its based on how much water they get while tree ripening, supposedly water tends to wash out the flavor giving you a bland Fig? again I know nothing from personal experience...just love to google.

PrincessTigerLily

• US, San Diego CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »
I purchased a Vietnamese Cherimoya from Lowes a year a go.  Last year it put out some flowers (slender and fuzzy looking compared to the honeyheart). I did not get any fruit from the tree. Do I need another variety to pollinate it? The Vietnamese Cherimoya is the only annona plant that is flushing with buds right now.  Can someone give me a review on the taste?  I already have a bunch of AP grafting on it but was wondering if I should graft some more.

Thank you in advance!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2018, 11:18:27 AM »
https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/cherimoya.html

You can pollinate the flowers from the same variety. It gives more reliable fruit set. See the pollination section and illustrations in the link.

Just do it once a week or less frequently is fine. Both male and female stage flowers must be present on the tree. You do want to try making it fruit in the interior of the tree for sunburn protection and larger fruit.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »
A friend gave me some fruit from what he called Vietnamese Cherimoya, not sure if he planted seeds or if that is what it was called when he purchased his plant. The fruit was large, most averaged 1-1.5 pounds and the fruit was conical, very symmetrical with light green skin. The skin was mostly smooth with some fruit with very small bumps on the skin. For those of you that live in San Diego, the fruit looks and taste identical to the fruit sold at Lucky Seafood. The flesh is white and sweet with good acid balance. To me, the fruit taste very similar to "Dr White" cherimoya.

This could be a totally different fruit though. There is a large Vietnamese community here in San Diego and many people grow Cherimoya here.
Simon

Yesterday I toured the La Verne Nursery (wholesale grower) with the Los Angeles Chapter, California Rare Fruit Growers. La Verne Nursery supplies potted plants to Southwest nurseries including Lowes and Home Depot. The nursery tour was lead by Daniel Nelson, Director of Nursery Operations.
CRFG members were allowed to pre-order trees in advance of the field trip. I did not... but succumbed to impulse and bought a Vietnamese Cherimoya and "Jamie Rose" Avocado tree. My notes say that Daniel said the Vietnamese Cherimoya came from Santa Barbara Exotics and was Dr. White.

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »
Any more info on "Jamie Rose" avocado?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
A friend gave me some fruit from what he called Vietnamese Cherimoya, not sure if he planted seeds or if that is what it was called when he purchased his plant. The fruit was large, most averaged 1-1.5 pounds and the fruit was conical, very symmetrical with light green skin. The skin was mostly smooth with some fruit with very small bumps on the skin. For those of you that live in San Diego, the fruit looks and taste identical to the fruit sold at Lucky Seafood. The flesh is white and sweet with good acid balance. To me, the fruit taste very similar to "Dr White" cherimoya.

This could be a totally different fruit though. There is a large Vietnamese community here in San Diego and many people grow Cherimoya here.
Simon

Yesterday I toured the La Verne Nursery (wholesale grower) with the Los Angeles Chapter, California Rare Fruit Growers. La Verne Nursery supplies potted plants to Southwest nurseries including Lowes and Home Depot. The nursery tour was lead by Daniel Nelson, Director of Nursery Operations.
CRFG members were allowed to pre-order trees in advance of the field trip. I did not... but succumbed to impulse and bought a Vietnamese Cherimoya and "Jamie Rose" Avocado tree. My notes say that Daniel said the Vietnamese Cherimoya came from Santa Barbara Exotics and was Dr. White.

Thanks for the confirmation ricshaw, we can now stick a fork in it.
Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2018, 06:00:09 PM »
I wish folks would quit calling the Cherimoya variety developed by Orton Englehart ' Honeyhart' ---as---Honey Heart- give the man his due it's 'HONEYHART'. An just because a Nursery started calling it HoneyHeart most likely to get away from giving Orton his due!!! Doesn't mean that's the correct spelling of that variety!