Poll

What name of the Luc's Garcinia sp. find do you like the most?

Mexican Garcinia
11 (22.4%)
Lucangosteen
3 (6.1%)
Lucosteen
10 (20.4%)
Limoncillo
15 (30.6%)
Other?
7 (14.3%)
Langosteen
3 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: May 05, 2015, 06:45:04 PM

Author Topic: Poll for the name of Luc's Garcinia sp.  (Read 18439 times)

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Poll for the name of Luc's Garcinia sp.
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 06:15:56 PM »
Mayaosteen

Mexosteen

I believe Maya culture was in southern Mexico and Central America. No Mayas in Acapulco where Luc found these wild plants. I believe that was Aztec area. So Aztecosteen?  ;) Probably for marketing purposes they would change it to something like Aztec Gold.

The Aztecs were terrible at marketing.. their billboards took years to carve.  No way should they have a say in this.... 
Regardless, I think it will take a long time for some people to get over not referring to it simply as "Luc's Garcinia", which is reasonable as it is the Garcinia that Luc pointed out to the gabachos.  :P  ;D

"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 06:31:25 PM »
I like Langosteen, its a catchy name easy to pronounce and not to long. This naming was just a consensus of what others think and what those of us on the forum would like to call it among one another. It could reach broader audiences if those supplying the seeds here share the seeds and fruit with others using the name. Also google may add some validity to the name overtime.

I don't think Limoncillo is a good name for broader reach and uniqueness (it reminds me of a Italian lemon flavored liquor). A lot of fruits in Mexico have common names, that are interchanged with fruits. This makes it harder to distinguish between fruits, ex. sapote (used for a bunch of fruits) or pitaya (used for other catus fruits). I voted for Lucosteen, though I would change my vote to Langosteen (it sounds even better).

Come up with a few new names and I will rework the poll with the new names and reset it.

Langosteen sounds exactly like a species of European Prawn (Langoustine). Indeed it is pronounced the same (I haven't heard anyone pronounce the 'ou' as the 'Oui' segment  in the word 'Ouija'.

http://www.irishlangoustine.com/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:00:54 PM by starling1 »

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 06:43:09 PM »
Mayaosteen

Mexosteen

I believe Maya culture was in southern Mexico and Central America. No Mayas in Acapulco where Luc found these wild plants. I believe that was Aztec area. So Aztecosteen?  ;) Probably for marketing purposes they would change it to something like Aztec Gold.
I like Aztec Gold myself unfortunately I beleive we might not want to Muscle into Cartel strain of Marijuana that has a citrus smell & becomming popular with the youth of today.  👊. The Cartel dont mind & would love to carve blood into some one Marketing Billboard a lot faster than their Ancestor the Aztec!💀

How about Dodo Fruit?  An almost extinct giant lemon drop garcinia intermedia once Used by Aztec Priests Human Sacrafice for A Hearty Lunch ( you ever eat heart sashimi, you need a sweet tart Ponzu to cleanse the irony taste), Luc had rediscovered, languishing unknown to lazy dumb scientists, before it will finally become extinct like the Dodo Bird of Maurintis; with Cartel expansion into the area and zero research or knowledge from Mexico Universities aint saving it! Dodo Fruit A big Dumb Yellow Fruit Soon to be Extinct!  Save the Dodo Fruit it cures Alzhimier and Dementia, Superfood of the Ancient Aztec guarantee to give you vision of the future. Crap I am aready seeing future vision already, better get off TFF and feed girls & get dinner on the table before the Big Boss get home, she aint going to be happy & I might end up like the Dodo Bird!😜  Dodo Fruit Dumb Stupid but a Tasty Mangosteen!😵😲😑💤 Dodosteen!😋
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:33:06 PM by Coconut »
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 07:50:19 PM »
Mayaosteen

Mexosteen

the area were Limocillo is native is just outside of Puerto Vallarta in the west coast of the pacific; from 50 to 450 meters above sea level; far away from Mayans; Aztecs and Acapulco
El verde es vida!

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 08:04:57 PM »
Lucmoncillo
Thera

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »
Mayaosteen

Mexosteen

the area were Limocillo is native is just outside of Puerto Vallarta in the west coast of the pacific; from 50 to 450 meters above sea level; far away from Mayans; Aztecs and Acapulco
Raul, How many miles/km from the beach can one expect to find limoncello?

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 08:10:30 PM »
Mayaosteen

Mexosteen
[/quote

Raul, How many miles/km from the beach can one expect to find limoncello?

the closest ones I have seen are in Mismaloya town; maybe 2/3 km from the beach in the low hills probably 50 meters above sea level

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:15:45 PM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »
RAUL ........we just got rid of the Easter tourists ( I hope you made a lot of money ) now that you pinpointed the - whatever we decide to call it - area there's gonna be an invasion of rare fruit collectors ....

About the future name , for those who have the Asian market in mind : Luangsteen or Buahsteen may work LOL
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 10:09:04 PM »
Mayaosteen

Mexosteen

Oh sorry, i meant to say Puerto Vallarta, and instead got another famous tourist destination: Acapulco. No indigenous tribes native to Puerto Vallarta whose tribal name we can unethically use for mass marketing?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »
call it what you will, but don't call it ugly, or a fast grower!

15 gal, looking as pretty as princess!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 12:20:23 AM »
call it what you will, but don't call it ugly, or a fast grower!

15 gal, looking as pretty as princess!

How about grafting purple mangosteen on it to see any compatibility? Anyone try it yet?😎

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 03:07:25 AM »
I got a name Mexigosteen  ;D

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 03:31:37 AM »
I got a name Mexigosteen  ;D
Ha ha love that!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »
How about a unique ideal let the guys who found and selected it name it?

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 06:32:50 PM »
RAUL ........we just got rid of the Easter tourists ( I hope you made a lot of money ) now that you pinpointed the - whatever we decide to call it - area there's gonna be an invasion of rare fruit collectors ....

About the future name , for those who have the Asian market in mind : Luangsteen or Buahsteen may work LOL
. Wrong Market Luc too far south in South East Asia with those names; work on the affluent names for Northern Asia were the premium are better!😄  Asia is often glump as one homogeneous pot of rice by Occidentals but its not!  Asian dont see European as one white lump of grit, rather a smorgasbord, it probably explains why they are able to enter markets in Africa, Middle East and South America faster than the old Western European/ American Hegemony!  Had dinner with wife's Brit in law Hedge Fund Manager Brother Steve Last week at Morimoto & was surprised How so much of the UK & European pension funds have migrated toward Asia (East & West) Even Steve is learning Japanese  with a Brit Queen Accent Brilliant!😀
Hey you can raise your prices now with a crop failure 2015 and all this name controversy we stir up its great marketing publicity! Never price your works collecting ticks & seeds at a discount; when you have a monopoly demand a premium quickly before saturation in a few year (before tissue cultures kick in). Now dont drive a Ferari in Cartel Country with the new pricing or the source of discovery can be shut down and a ransom is in the order!💰💰😃 Members here are to poor to meet the Ransom donation requirements go bail you out, hell they are even going to raise a stinking ruckus if you raise a few bucks for your seeds during your ticks & lyme disease Cartel trespassing collection expedition!👳🐪😆😆😆👍👍👍
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:38:55 PM by Coconut »

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2015, 06:37:55 PM »

. Wrong Market Luc too far south in South East Asia with those names; work on the affluent names for Northern Asia were the premium are better!😄  Asia is often glump as one homogeneous pot of rice by Occidentals but its not!  Asian dont see European as one white lump of grit, rather a smorgasbord, it probably explains why they are able to enter markets in Africa, Middle East and South America faster than the old Western European/ American Hegemony!  Had dinner with wife's Brit in law Hedge Fund Manager Brother Steve Last week at Morimoto & was surprised How so much of the UK & European pension funds have migrated toward Asia (East & West) Even Steve is learning Japanese  with a Brit Queen Accent Brilliant!😀
Hey you can raise your prices now with a crop failure 2015 and all this name controversy we stir up its great marketing publicity! Never price your works collecting ticks & seeds at a discount; when you have a monopoly demand a premium quickly before saturation in a few year (before tissue cultures kick in). Now dont drive a Ferari in Cartel Country with the new pricing or the source of discovery can be shut down and a ransom is in the order!💰💰😃 Members here are to poor to meet the Ransom donation requirements go bail you out, hell they are even going to raise a stinking ruckus if you raise a few bucks for your seeds during your ticks & lyme disease Cartel trespassing collection expedition!👳🐪😆😆😆👍👍👍

Coconut , you could do a video like the Achacha guys did , maybe with a 1/2 naked girl , could be an Adam & Eve type of thing , we have an Adam in the forum and plenty of snakes in the Glades already.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »
Just as long as Adam keeps HIS clothes on!!!   :o

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 07:03:25 PM »
Adam should get a mohawk haircut. Then he can be filmed chasing fair maiden with bag full of Luc's precious bounty through the everglades. She starts to sink in quicksand, and rather than struggle and meet her death she instead calmly opens her bag full of Lucosteens and merrily munches them down. Ok, so there were no Mohawks in Everglades. Who cares about historical accuracy?  ;)
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
Just as long as Adam keeps HIS clothes on!!!   :o
these women want a distinguished gentleman with Tennessee top hat, who's skilled in the art of plant propagation!  :P

Napoleon Dynamite talks about skills
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2015, 04:57:39 PM »

Coconut , you could do a video like the Achacha guys did , maybe with a 1/2 naked girl , could be an Adam & Eve type of thing , we have an Adam in the forum and plenty of snakes in the Glades already.

Luc You are a Genius; a Video on YouTube would be an insult!, an Episode of  " Naked Fruit &  Peel ! " We can have your location as the Get up&down for a Parodying of Discovery Channel "Naked & Afraid" TV Documentary.  Each week Discovery put two buttocks naked  couple a White Guy & a white girl to survive 21 days in a wilderness location all over the world all Brazilian Wax as far as this Old fart can see on his HDTV at Comcrap! 😶The first several episodes they put too many white ghosts in there and all the white bed sheets got burnt crispiness.  So later episodes they added real Rednecks so they did not burn into Lobsters like a lot of Northern tourists laying Here on Spanish Reef Beach in Boca Raton.

So our TV Show will be "Naked Fruit & Peel" on History to Compete with Discovery, first Episode We Have Adam hanging loose on the show & a delicious looking Gal with nice racks & curves like the Lucangosteen or Langosteen if you want to add some spine, all clothings peel down to the Biblical Days of Adam & Eve! Of course being a family friendly show we just have those electronic fuzzy & Brazilian Wax!  Ricardo & Dreamfrutas can help Adam over come his Brazilian Wax fear as consultants on the show, Ouch!🙈  The two Constestants have 21 days to find as many rare fruits and collected budwoods keeping them alive for 21 days with the resources available.  Each contestant can only bring one horticultural items.  They will be given a tent, everyday they have to gather as many rare fruits & budwoods to trade for food & water, after 21 days they stole 🐴 mules from Raul house...and make it over to Luc with the Raulangosteen...  Ok At this point this old fart is running out of gases, so those with a fertile horticultural imagination can take over!😎🐴

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »
I want to change my "vote". I put in for the "langosteen", but then a few days later realized, it's the same as "langoustine", the prawn. Lol. We don't want to confuse fruit and seafood. :)

Luangsteen? I don't know, sounds similar to "langsatan", the name for aglaia edulis.

This is harder than picking out a baby's name.  ???

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »
Purely from marketing point Lucangosteen sounds too long and complex. Limoncillo sounds somewhat "lemony" and Spanish sounding. Asians may have problem with pronunciation.  Mexican Garcinia no go because ordinary people don't know what garcinia means. Lucosteen might be the best, but still gives no suggestion to people on fruit qualities. Mexican mangosteen or even American mangosteen (for marketing in countries like Taiwan) might be the best even if it's two words and long name. Word mangosteen immediately associated with high quality and for many it would give good hint.

I agree whole heartedly on all points, and in addition as others have said limoncillo would cause too much confusion with other fruits that also have that name including my beloved spanish lime. Which is also a terrible name, but at least from a marketing standpoint it gives a few hints about the fruit. It has a citrus like tang, a lime like appearance too. It's popular in spanish speaking countries, I'm guessing it might have been also spread by spanish settlers back in the day. Most of all the words "spanish" and "lime" are familiar to westerners or english speakers.

That's why I like American Mangosteen, it's simple and easy for people to grab. And like durianlover said, the name mangosteen already has merit. I love Mexico and I don't have negative connotations towards the country or the things they produce, but I could see how the rest of the world might have some stigma attached to that name. The last thing I remember in the news about Mexico was the cartel raising the prices of limes. Sadly I think leaving that name out would help this fruit be more marketable. I think it would be great though if this fruit could become real popular and take off. Maybe one day we could find this fruit in farmers markets here in the states. It has good potential since it appears we can grow it here too.

Another name I though of was Lucillo. Not descriptive, but gives an ode to Luc and sounds nice. Grand garcinia? Magnum Mangosteen?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »
looks like the original name limocillo is here to stay...

but is it "luc's limoncillo"

or just "limoncillo"?

Lol are we going to have to have another poll for that?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
"luc's limoncillo"

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 05:37:39 PM »
"luc's limoncillo"

hey I like that name...the double L rolls off the tongue.
 :P

I have some small seedlings I need to sell soon at the Manatee county rare fruit sale...I will make sure to label them as "Luc's Limoncillo"
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk