Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 939873 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #975 on: December 13, 2014, 10:27:55 PM »
I shared Simon's S. Megalanthus hybrids pdf link, on his Awesome Yellow Dragonfruit hybrids thread, with a CRFG friend.

My friend sent back an interesting related PowerPoint pdf. Check it out.
http://www.agrimaroc.net/cactus-congress/s22-%20Pitahayas%20introduction%20agrotechniques%20and%20breeding.pdf

Those people are real knowledgeable about crossing DF varieties.

I was looking for somewhere to say that they were crossing the sweetest and highest quality DF varieties in all possible combinations, a sort of try all possible combinations and see what is the best result. But, I did not see that mentioned anywhere. Perhaps doing something like this will achieve the desired DF fruit sweetness and quality results.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 13, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing the article ricshaw, it was awesome! I wonder how the fruit of the Haploid plants turned out? Doubling the number of chromosomes decreased the size of the fruit, I wonder if halfing the chromosomes will yield larger fruit?

There appears to be some good work being done by people in the Agriculture industry, I hope some of the nicer plants that they develop will reach our soil and mouths in the near future. In the meantime, we have many CRFG and backyard breeders that are making their own crosses and paving their own road forward.

Simon

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 13, 2014, 11:37:16 PM »

some killer looking varieties there. Would love to get my hands on those.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 14, 2014, 12:00:39 AM »
The Powerpoint Rick shared noted Nematode damage to the plants.  Has anyone grown dragon fruit in the ground in Florida and had issues with nematodes?
Brad

Jexton

• Cape Coral
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 14, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
I have 4 in the ground and planning on adding 11 more. I haven't had any nematode issues, neither has a local friend how has 3 in the ground.  :P

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 14, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »
I had a recent trip to the martin county property appraiser's office -> 1111 Southeast Federal Highway, Stuart, FL 34994 and came across this dragon fruit growing over the fence into the parking lot. Since I had my pocket knife on me I nabbed two cuttings, serendipity.

-joep450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 14, 2014, 09:39:33 PM »
Also ricshaw that pdf is amazing, very excited to see what new varieties the future holds, thanks for sharing.

-joep450

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 14, 2014, 10:42:24 PM »
I know of  a person in Thailand who grew loads of dragonfruit variety's. One day they got infected by a fungus and they all died.

Maybe it was nematodes who killed, i don't know. But has anybody tried woodvinegar against nematodes?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 14, 2014, 11:49:10 PM »
I had a recent trip to the martin county property appraiser's office -> 1111 Southeast Federal Highway, Stuart, FL 34994 and came across this dragon fruit growing over the fence into the parking lot. Since I had my pocket knife on me I nabbed two cuttings, serendipity.

-joep450

Looks like this one has some of the good Guatemalan type genes. It may need cross pollination but the fruit should be oval, sweet with magenta flesh. I'm thinking of the kind with single thorns rather than clusters of them.
The owner probably wouldn't have mind too much, especially on the lower branches that they probably wanted to prune anyway. They would be unhappy if someone took fruits.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 15, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »
I love the look of some of the gnarly black fruited varieties. Would like to see the cockatoos or kurawongs try to pinch one of those!

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: December 19, 2014, 05:45:23 PM »
I planted some dragon fruit cuttings at the base of this palm tree today. First, I zip tied the cuttings to the base of the tree then piled some soil around the base of the cuttings.

The left and right are zamorano DF while the center is the unknown cuttings I got from a few posts above.

My goal is to have the two types of DF grow up the palm tree then start branching out above the trimmed hedge, I think it will look really nice also keeping the DF trained below the palm canopy. To the left in this picture is a ross sapote and behind tiki torch on the right is a semi dormant seedling sugar apple.

-joep450

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 25, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
https://www.google.co.th/search?q=dragon+fruit+tree&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=77ycVMf_JZepuwTIsoCICg&ved=0CBsQsAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=5cqpYOy3W__64M%3A%3BECb6gwbT5S4IWM%3B5cqpYOy3W__64M%3A&imgrc=5cqpYOy3W__64M%253A%3BaLUkTrBJnI5hPM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fpaulabrown.net%252Fdragon-fruit-plant-turning-yellow-29.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fpaulabrown.net%252Fdragon-fruit-plant-turning-yellow%3B500%3B375

I want to grow dragonfruit like on these pics. Short and compact and loads of fruit.

I always thought they have to hang down before they can fruit but thise grower must have some special tricks i guess.

What did they do to get this? Obviously they pruned them a lot but is that small pot also helping to let them fruit?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 25, 2014, 09:16:52 PM »
I have seen these types of pics before and had the same questions.  I wouldn't rule out some kind of trick to allow them to sell more vines. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #988 on: December 26, 2014, 12:37:35 AM »
https://www.google.co.th/search?q=dragon+fruit+tree&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=77ycVMf_JZepuwTIsoCICg&ved=0CBsQsAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=5cqpYOy3W__64M%3A%3BECb6gwbT5S4IWM%3B5cqpYOy3W__64M%3A&imgrc=5cqpYOy3W__64M%253A%3BaLUkTrBJnI5hPM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fpaulabrown.net%252Fdragon-fruit-plant-turning-yellow-29.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fpaulabrown.net%252Fdragon-fruit-plant-turning-yellow%3B500%3B375

I want to grow dragonfruit like on these pics. Short and compact and loads of fruit.

I always thought they have to hang down before they can fruit but thise grower must have some special tricks i guess.

What did they do to get this? Obviously they pruned them a lot but is that small pot also helping to let them fruit?

I think what we are seeing is several cut Dragon Fruit branches, with fruit, placed in a pot for sale like a flower arrangement. I think it is a way to give the fruit as a gift.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 12:39:09 AM by ricshaw »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 26, 2014, 12:51:43 AM »
Ricshaw i agree, this looks too good to be true. Nice way to sell the cactus or as a gift.

adalmoro

• Brazil, MS, Campo Grande.
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Pitaya Dragon Fruit Photos
« Reply #990 on: December 26, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »
Ricshaw i agree, this looks too good to be true. Nice way to sell the cactus or as a gift.

I agree too ...
This image helps to understand:

This text says because these trees are sold:
http://vietnamtoday.net/Print.aspx?Culture=vi-VN&q=120644

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 07:35:22 PM by adalmoro »

lajolla

• Southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 26, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »
anybody with flower buds right now in Socal, if so what varieties?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 26, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »

I have some on my yellow Colombian.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 26, 2014, 11:02:13 PM »

I agree too ...
This image helps to understand:

This text says because these trees are sold:
http://vietnamtoday.net/Print.aspx?Culture=vi-VN&q=120644

Good eye 'adalmoro'!!

Here is another picture for people to test which "cladodes" are upside-down.

lajolla

• Southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 27, 2014, 08:23:56 PM »

I have some on my yellow Colombian.

how long does your yellow season last?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 27, 2014, 08:38:24 PM »
According to UCCE field tests, most Dragon Fruit we grow in Southern California takes around 40 - 45 days to harvest. The Colombian Yellow Dragon Fruit takes around 150 - 180 days to harvest.

lajolla

• Southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 29, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »
Thanks Mark and Ric.

Any tips on how to make a cutting grow super fast and produce fruit within a year period?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 29, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »
Thanks Mark and Ric.

Any tips on how to make a cutting grow super fast and produce fruit within a year period?

Yes, replicate a warm environment with long daylight hours. So put it in a heated greenhouse with some holidays lights or flourescent lighting when the sun goes down LED is more efficient but more expensive.
A friend in coastal San Diego once went from seed to fruit in 18 months or so. It's the exception rather than the rule.

lajolla

• Southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 29, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
Thanks Mark and Ric.

Yes, replicate a warm environment with long daylight hours. So put it in a heated greenhouse with some holidays lights or flourescent lighting when the sun goes down LED is more efficient but more expensive.
A friend in coastal San Diego once went from seed to fruit in 18 months or so. It's the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks any recommended fertilizers? how well do worm castings work on DFs?

dmk

• Hyderabad, India/ Ormond Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 31, 2014, 01:44:08 AM »
Poles without top structure?

So I am in a situation where I have the poles without anything on the top. They are reinforced concrete poles with a flat 3x3 inch top. The cuttings would reach the top in few months. Therefore getting in to panic mode I have looked at various options for the top but nothing constructive seems to fit (on the poles as well as my budget).

I'm now considering to leave the poles without anything on the top, like in these images from the net.
(copyright images, using direct link)
http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/dragon-fruit-plantation.jpg
http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-field-young-dragon-fruit-plants-lead-concrete-poles-pitaya-plant-aka-cactus-up-image32472770
http://pippikorean.blogspot.in/2012/01/dragon-fruit.html

How would this work for the plant?