Author Topic: Bring more light to part shade areas of the garden?  (Read 3525 times)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Bring more light to part shade areas of the garden?
« on: March 11, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
I am trying to figure out if anything can be done to bring more light to the base of my north facing wall. I heard about mirror, mylar, and even solar panels!! Thoughts? Experiences? Concerns? Thanks a lot!  :)
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
Re: Bring more light to part shade areas of the garden?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 03:26:25 PM »
I have also seen water being a good light reflector (for example, a pond in my backyard lights the ceiling of my porch), problem water is going to want to be level, and therefore will only reflect light at the same angle as the sun (which offers a very narrow range and low light reflection). Now that I think about it, the solar panel will do the exact same thing.... You will get a narrow focus beam of light. You really want light dispersion, so whatever used would need to be the equivalent of a convex surface and offer light dispersion.

This is an interesting topic!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 03:44:47 PM »
You want to use mylar to increase reflectivity. The area that receives sunlight you would apply the mylar to the surface of it and angle it so it reflects light into the shaded areas. Here is an example of a good mylar roll http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-100-Ft-Diamond-Film-Foil-Roll-Reflective-Mylar-Hydroponic-4-039-x-100-039-M033-/291258235771?_trksid=p2054897.l4275, the diamond type helps diffuse the light better so you don't get hot spots.

What you would probably want to do is make weather resistant stands with a flat surface that can be moved or angled. Example plywood free standing walls that can have the mylar roll glued onto.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

jackedfruit

• Sweden, Zone 7a / Greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 03:48:50 PM »
I wouldn't recommend mirrors as they tend to have fluctuations in them. As a result there will be an uneven distribution of the sunlight, in other words, you would get thermal hot spots which could potentially burn your plants.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:51:38 PM by jackedfruit »

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 04:17:45 PM »
Or maybe make frame from pvc 1 inch pipes

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:22:15 PM »
Or maybe make frame from pvc 1 inch pipes

Yeah that can be done too, the only thing I thought about it was the wind could rip it (though the mylar I linked is pretty tough stuff at 11mill). Also the reflective area would move slightly with the wind.

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 04:23:58 PM »
A few years ago I grew tomatoes at an apartment with only 2 hours of direct sunlight. I used Panda Film (a bright white poly sheet used in hydroponics) to create a reflective valley of sorts. It worked really well, had tons of fruit. The panda film is really strong, much stronger and heavier than mylar. I tried mylar but it was too crinkly and ripped in the wind. I attached the 10ft wide sheet against my house then used stakes on the other side of the valley. All my plants sat inside the valley. When the sun was shining, it was too bright to look at. Not pretty but it got the job done:

EDIT: updated with better image
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:26:23 PM by Josh-Los-Angeles »

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 04:37:11 PM »
Thank you everyone, @Josh-Los-Angeles I especially appreciate the photo as I have a hard time visualizing angles!

My narrow lot is only 33' wide. Kind of contemplating to place light reflecting materials by the south-facing wall and direct some light to the north-facing wall. If the base is too far away, longan and lychee (in part shade) are about 20' away and may benefit from some boost!

Will mylar / panda film burn or damage nearby plants? Thanks again all!

jackedfruit

• Sweden, Zone 7a / Greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »
Will mylar / panda film burn or damage nearby plants? Thanks again all!

Probably not if you use something like the "diamond mylar" that nullzero refered to. As long as the film disperses the light evenly you should be fine.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »
I must be searching with the wrong keywords on google images. Any photos of good outdoor implementation would be truly appreciated!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 07:20:50 PM »
I must be searching with the wrong keywords on google images. Any photos of good outdoor implementation would be truly appreciated!

PVC frame idea is the easier I would say. You get a bunch of PVC pipes and some elbows and make a free standing triangle. Then wrap the diamond mylar around it and zip tie it to the PVC frame.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 07:55:43 PM »
Flat white paint anyone? Maybe painting some flat boards and lay them against the south facing wall at some angle. Easy to adjust and remove. The rate of reflection cannot compare to mylar / panda film though.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 10:37:29 PM »
Flat white paint anyone? Maybe painting some flat boards and lay them against the south facing wall at some angle. Easy to adjust and remove. The rate of reflection cannot compare to mylar / panda film though.

Like the idea of painting some flat boards, but just
wondering why would you use flat paint?
I thought a glossy paint would reflect more light, no?

Anyway, if it worked good white sheet like for Josh above,
your painted board idea might work as well too...
Sam

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 01:32:08 AM »
I read somewhere that mylar / panda film reflect light in 90+% range, while flat white paint is 70-80%. Glossy paint somehow is worse. I haven't decide yet, low maintenance vs. better light reflection

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk