Author Topic: Will passion fruit climb/damage brick and stucco?  (Read 1167 times)

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
Will passion fruit climb/damage brick and stucco?
« on: November 19, 2020, 03:56:30 PM »
I got a brick chimney I’m thinking of growing passion fruit up.  There is nearby stucco as well.  Will it damage these surfaces?  Heat from the chimney won’t be an issue.  It’s very thick.  I’m super limited on space in the side yard (like 4’ wide and I’d like to keep it that way) so building a trellis a foot off the wall isn’t going to work.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Will passion fruit climb/damage brick and stucco?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 04:54:40 PM »
I got a brick chimney I’m thinking of growing passion fruit up.  There is nearby stucco as well.  Will it damage these surfaces?  Heat from the chimney won’t be an issue.  It’s very thick.  I’m super limited on space in the side yard (like 4’ wide and I’d like to keep it that way) so building a trellis a foot off the wall isn’t going to work.

Passiflora do not have aerial roots like, say, English Ivy or Virginia Creeper. They climb with tendrils that just lasso around stuff.
So #1 it should not damage your home, but #2 I don't see how it would climb it either without that trellis. :(

Could you build a trellis that hugs much closer to the chimney? I don't see that it needs but just a little clearance to wrap its tendrils.

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
I could probably rig up something close to the wall then if it won’t reach out and adhere/damage.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 06:35:29 PM »
Like others have mentioned you should be fine with passion fruit no roots to embed, one that could be a problem would be dragon fruit it has aerial roots that can damage wood siding anyway. I know it happened to me on T-111 siding but caught it in time and removed d.f. vine.

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 07:58:40 PM »
Good heads up about the DF.  Since your local Scott let me know if you ever want to trade DF cuttings.  I don’t think there are too many of us around here.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 03:01:53 AM »
I think you should leave a bit more space between the trellis and the wall simply for ease of pruning and management, air circulation for the plant and also to not have fruit trapped in the slim void between wall and plant.

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »
^Good point about the void. 

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 12:24:47 PM »
You could screw into your chimney and tie wire around for the tendrils to grip. Otherwise they won't be able to support their own weight

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 03:52:02 PM »
I think the best u can do and easiest also is to mount a thin cattle panel fence onto the wall. I have seen this work very well for other people....

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 10:24:01 PM »
I’m thinking two 5 gallon buckets with concrete.  Two 4”x4”x10 pressure treated posts with chain link in between at a slight angle leaning against the house.  Plants growing up it.  Doesn’t have to look fancy.  It’s on the side yard.  It gets the best light. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:25:51 PM by MorroBay »

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 10:27:16 PM »
What sized container for passion fruit should I use?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 12:53:02 AM »
If u use such trellis type make sure  to fix the tops of the wood polls to the wall, that way it will be sturdier. If its all around concrete u can even skip the buckets filled with concrete and just have the wood pole sit right an the ground, just ajust the angles on both sides so it is nice and fits the angles of the surfaces. I would suggest having a wood pole around every meter of distance the area u are considering has. Then u just make small holes with the wood driller, big just enough for the wire , that are spaces eavenly on the length  of the poles , just do not stretch the wires too much so they dont curve in the poles.

For the pots I have one purple pf planted in a big cutted out drum . If planting in the ground is not an option, u should use a rather big pot with an airy and porous substrate. 
My telephone does not let me to upload a pic of my plant at the moment, will try later....
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 01:06:30 AM by Plantinyum »