Author Topic: When to pick Edward mango fruit?  (Read 4952 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
When to pick Edward mango fruit?
« on: July 26, 2017, 06:38:20 PM »
 This year I will finally have a few Edwards to eat for the first time (praying no other critters intercept this). Bought this 3’ grafted from TT  in 2014. Last year it had tons of flowers but not one fruit. Read from Top-Trop it says Edward is picked when the base just turned yellow color. Could someone please post a photo of fruit when to pick? I will post a photo tomorrow.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: When to pick Edward mango fruit?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
Mine ripened very similar to how Hadens ripen and fall off except the color is more yellow with some being all yellow but some having red in them making them similar to Hadens in appearance. I actually had a hard time telling some of the Hadens from Edwards when mixed in a bucket.

The length of time that the Edward turned all yellow or on some yellow red was quicker and it fell off the tree limb once turned faster than the Hadens usually but not always. It is easy to see the change if going outside daily.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:30:02 PM by palmcity »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:33:35 PM »
"It is easy to determine when to pick because the fruit will turn yellow at its base. "

This is what TT says. One fruit already has this description but I doubt it's ready to pick. It was planted 4 feet from the back door, so I have no problem checking it multiple time a day :)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »
I see 2 fruits have started turn yellow last week. Does Edward emit strong aroma as ripe Glenn? I picked Glenn when they had strong smell.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »
One fruit in the middle of pic had some kind of lesion -- the dark spot -- and I applied Neem oil on the spot. What caused the lesions on mango?

The Argentinian ant like to herd bugs on the Edward fruits, but rarely on the nearby Glenn. They must know which is the better ones I think.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:32:09 PM »
I found a pic of a perfectly ripe Edward from this site:
http://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/lifestyles/mango-madness-better-place-grow-them-than-coast/plAgYQd9QmK6nsg0rXvGaI/

Compare to my fruits and this pic, I think it will be another 3 weeks waiting, touching and sniffing.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 02:41:25 AM »
http://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/lifestyles/mango-madness-better-place-grow-them-than-coast/plAgYQd9QmK6nsg0rXvGaI/

Compare to my fruits and this pic, I think it will be another 3 weeks waiting, touching and sniffing.

I would not necessarily using Florida grown fruit as a guideline for that grown in California.   You are better off getting advice from California growers who have successfully fruited Edward.  I have seen too many differences with the same variety of mango grown in Florida  vs California.
- Rob

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 05:29:53 PM »
Frank and Bill already ate their Edward, but my Edward has little changed from 7/24 last month. I guess the fruits want to absorb more sugar from the rare solar eclipse event. Well, the longer it stay on the tree the better it gets I hope.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
Finally my Edward got little soft and I pick a fruit few days ago, afraid it might drop. It took almost 6 more weeks since I post the first photo when they started to turn yellow!!! No wonder Edwards loaded with honey sweetness.

It has thicker skin than most mangoes I know. No aroma from outside. I wish it has aroma like Maha or Glenn. The beak felt soft but shoulder still quite firm and I was about to wait for another day, but then I thought why not try it at different stages of ripeness.  So surprised to see that it’s already perfectly ripe inside -- deep yellow outside turns to orange at center, like an egg yolk. So much honey like sweet with strong acidity/tart  but not any hint of Asian resinous or pine taste. Some hanging fruits oozed out clear color drops that tasted like sugar/honey near the shoulder and stem.  The description from Pine Nursery is not match to my Edward at all, that it says "aromatic and golden yellow with reddish blush…" (see attached photo and it looks more like a Glenn than Edward).  However Toptrop has a more accurate description and its photo looks exactly as my Edward “perfect blend of sweetness and tartness thanks to its Indo-Chinese / Indian background” . I can see the Indian characteristic but where is the Indocin resinous character? From the taste I see Edward is more on Indian side than Indocin, but guess what, it has a poly-embryonic seed!!! Edward is one of the best mango for people who like Indian taste character as Kent, Keitt, etc.. but for me I prefer Okrung over anything at the moment.

From Pine (I think the fruit description and photo fit a Glennn better):
"Edward is a fiberless cultivar that is sweet, aromatic, and considered by many to be the finest tasting of all Florida mangos. The skin is a golden yellow having a reddish blush where exposed to the sun."

From Toptrop :
"The most outstanding feature of this variety is the perfect blend of sweetness and tartness thanks to its Indo-Chinese / Indian background. It is also firm, yet has no fiber. It is easy to determine when to pick because the fruit will turn yellow at its base. "
Notice the small black dots on fruit.

This photo shows my Edward (right side photo) and one I found on internet. Notice the small black dots on mine and light yellow vs the other looks more like Glenn.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:02:31 PM by sapote »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 06:19:29 PM »
Finally I think my "Edward" is really a Peach cobbler based on a photo from 2019 Socal mango tasting and Simon's Peach cobbler pic.

Simon, please post the inside of your Peach Cobbler when you open it. Do PC tends to have a soft nose while the shoulder still hard, and it's dark orange inside?

Is PC is polyembryonic?

Btw, what happened to Edward that I didn't see a single one at the SoCal Tasting 2019?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:23:26 PM by sapote »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »
Finally I think my "Edward" is really a Peach cobbler based on a photo from 2019 Socal mango tasting and Simon's Peach cobbler pic.

Simon, please post the inside of your Peach Cobbler when you open it. Do PC tends to have a soft nose while the shoulder still hard, and it's dark orange inside?

Btw, what happened to Edward that I didn't see a single one at the SoCal Tasting 2019?

If your mango had strong citrus taste, then its peach cobbler. otherwise it isnt. Peach cobbler also has thick skin and doesn't turn yellow on outside. Inside of peach cobbler is more orange color than yellow.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »
My Peach Cobbler has some yellow on the shoulders. I’ll be sure to post a picture of it when it’s ripe. Your fruit cut open does not look like Edward.

Simon

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 06:41:05 PM »
The picture from Toptropical does not appear to be Edward

Simon

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 06:57:22 PM »
This year all 10 of my "PC?" are in green color even when ripe, no yellow shoulder as they were in 2017 as posted pic. The seed is compact shape (not long as Kent or Keitt) with short hairs and polyembryonic. I think it's 99% Peach Cobbler now until proven wrong. Spicy, strong flavor, sweet and acidity. Unevenly ripe with soft near seed but hard near shoulder.

I'm so lucky they shipped me PC instead of Glenn or VP for my Edward order. Hopefully my Edward scion will give a few fruits next year to compare with PC.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:04:11 PM by sapote »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 07:00:26 PM »
This year all 10 of my "PC?" are in green color even when ripe, no yellow shoulder as they were in 2017 as posted pic. The seed is compact shape (not long as Kent or Keitt) with short hairs and polyembryonic. I think it's 99% Peach Cobbler now until proven wrong. Spicy, strong flavor, sweet and acidity. Unevenly ripe with soft near seed but hard near shoulder.

Does it taste strong Mandarin citrus like?

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 05:37:42 PM »

Does it taste strong Mandarin citrus like?

It has strong taste but hard for me to describe what it is. It could be mandarin citrus but too complex for me to pinpoint. What other mangoes taste close to PC with similar thick skin?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 05:51:46 PM »
dont know but peach cobbler is very easy to detect given is citrus mandarin taste and its pulp that is quite unique paste texture.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 06:28:54 PM »
Ive got 2 edward trees on different rootstocks and both have droopy growth pattern.  Other types are totally erect here.  Is that how edward grows for others?  Im thinking of top working them.
Brad Spaugh

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 06:46:52 PM »
in wake of newer varieties, I topworked my Edward a while back. I was never impressed with its lack of sweetness, plus shy bearing characteristics. my goal is to hoard as many LZ, ST, PC, HK, Venus as possible. these are monster producers and get 30 brix here. LZ is the only one battling with PM right now, it could change.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 05:21:01 PM »
Edward is the most BALANCED Mango I have ever had.   It is a top 5 Mango for me for flavor.  The old varieties are still the best.  A lot of the new varieties a highly over rated.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 03:35:37 PM »
I was wondering if the shy bearing Edward is only for younger trees? Do things pick up as it matures? I have an Edward and it is loving the spot it's in even fighting off deer bites. I have tasted Edward and it is a lovely tasting mango IMO. If you had a choice od a Valencia Pride or a Edward, which do you prefer? 
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2019, 12:45:04 AM »
I was wondering if the shy bearing Edward is only for younger trees? Do things pick up as it matures? I have an Edward and it is loving the spot it's in even fighting off deer bites. I have tasted Edward and it is a lovely tasting mango IMO. If you had a choice od a Valencia Pride or a Edward, which do you prefer?

I have a Valencia Pride which I bought years ago as it was wrongly labeled "Edward".  It has a number of good qualities 1 Bears heavily in alternate years 2 Grows Fast (plant it and run), 3 Large meaty fruit 3 Semi Late 4 Slightly more cold hearty 5 Widely liked but narrowly loved.  Many might place it top 10, but not top 3.  I give my VP's to the neighbors and keep most of the Carries for myself. 

Edward (9) beats VP (7.5) for flavor and is probably more consistent annual bearer than VP.  I have read than Edward's reputation as being a shy bearer might be over stated for backyard purposes as one person said on this forum he was surprised at how many fruit his Edward tree put out.  VP is a good Mango, but Glenn would be a better choice if you want a good "middle of the road" Mango.

VP is on my top 10 list, but not top 6. Edward is a better tasting Mango than VP, but both are very agreeable and have broad appeal.  My top 6 are 1. Carrie. 2  Glenn 3. Lancetilla (For flavor not size) 4. Edward 5. PPK 6. Mallika.   

Despite the hype , I have yet to taste a newer boutique designer variety that I would grow, tho I haven't tried them all.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2019, 08:16:31 PM »
With apologies for possible hijacking of the thread, but why is Peach Cobbler so named if it has a citrus taste and not Peach/Peach Cobbler taste? Is there an effort out there to change it's name?

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2021, 11:37:40 PM »

I would not necessarily using Florida grown fruit as a guideline for that grown in California.   You are better off getting advice from California growers who have successfully fruited Edward.  I have seen too many differences with the same variety of mango grown in Florida  vs California.

Rob was absolutely right. After a few years waiting for 2 Edwards grafted on Glenn, I finally have 2 big fruits on one graft and one on the other. Many thanks to Bill aka Bestday who gave me the scions 3 years ago. They are mostly green with a little yellow skin but gave a little when squeezed. The fruits are white large and I used strings to pull the stem up and tied to the large branch.
Here is my SoCal Edward next to larger Maha fruits:

Shade side:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 01:45:06 AM by sapote »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2021, 01:01:13 AM »
Rob's always right.