Author Topic: Annona sp.: Is this growth pattern stable in the longterm?  (Read 1856 times)

Rose

• Oregon
    • View Profile
Hello! This is my first post here.
I have a specimen of an Annona sp. that I haven't been able to identify with confidence, and I'm troubled with its current pattern of growth. In the attached photos you can see that it's rather unbalanced, with a large branch on one side and a few bushy offshoots on the other. My concern is that as it grows older, the trunk may snap at the division and severely injure or kill the tree. I don't have any experience to speak of in the matter of pruning or other methods of assistance, and I haven't been able to find any advice pertaining to this particular case. Any suggestions?

Here's a little photgraph of the leaf and new growth for anyone who wants to try a more knowledgeable hand at identifying the species. Yes that is my wrist, and not visible (my mistake) is the extreme tapering at the end of the leaf.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: Annona sp.: Is this growth pattern stable in the longterm?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 05:35:08 PM »
Welcome to TFF

Your seedling could be Annona purpurea aka Soncoya.

Moh'd

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 01:50:59 AM »
I believe it is Annona deliciosa/Rollinia deliciosa. The tree looks great by the way. Chris
-Chris

Dane

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 01:55:29 AM »
Yeah this is definitely a Rollinia !
I would prune the 2 small branches and put a bit of pressure on the large branch to straighten out

Rose

• Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »
I was hesitant to remove the branches as they've grown so large. Is there any preparation I should do ahead of time, and where on the branches would be the safest spot to cut?
The seller advertised this as "Annona edulis" so having it turn out to be deliciosa doesn't surprise me. That looks very much like what I have!
Thank you for the replies!

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 01:10:45 PM »
Yes, it looks like biribá... I will believe that the tree just knows how to grow... but dont follow my idea, maybe I am wrong.
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 09:50:07 AM »
I believe it is Annona deliciosa/Rollinia deliciosa. The tree looks great by the way. Chris

Annona mucosa.  What a terrible name, but it's the current accepted one   :Þ  (Species 2000 / ITIS Catalogue of Life / GBIF; BioLib.cz and NCBI say Rollinia mucosa, but nobody accepts A. or R. deliciosa anymore).  Has to be right up there on the list of terrible plant names alongside Eugenia dysenterica.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:02:04 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 05:24:18 PM »

Annona mucosa.  What a terrible name, but it's the current accepted one   :Þ  (Species 2000 / ITIS Catalogue of Life / GBIF; BioLib.cz and NCBI say Rollinia mucosa, but nobody accepts A. or R. deliciosa anymore).  Has to be right up there on the list of terrible plant names alongside Eugenia dysenterica.

many collectors list annona deliciosa and annona mucosa as different species... they are convinced... Helton does it...
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 05:45:04 PM »
It still has its extra large juvenile leaves so its hard to tell. I am not in the R.mucosa camp with this one so would be rooting for soncoya or something else rarer and central American.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 06:00:03 PM »
many collectors list annona deliciosa and annona mucosa as different species... they are convinced... Helton does it...

Lots of collectors still list A. macroprophyllata as A. diversifolia too.  But that doesn't make them officially recognized names. :)

Sometimes names we all know and use get changed out, and often for lousy ones  :Þ  You know that Randia formosa is now Rosenbergiodendron formosum?  I mean.... *sigh*...
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk