Author Topic: Has anyone fruited Marang in south florida?  (Read 6963 times)

DJMadonia96

• Southwest Florida / Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Has anyone fruited Marang in south florida?
« on: January 23, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »
I managed to get ahold of a couple of Marang seeds. I was wondering if anyone has had luck getting them to fruit?

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone fruited Marang in south florida?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:06:25 PM »
here is one of the latest updates on FL from Oscar
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=26058.msg303567#msg303567

I have one seedling as well about 18in tall, I am planning to keep it potted and bring it inside until 8-9ft tall , then we'll see.
I will post pics if I make progress

Cheers
Marius
- Marius

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
South FL is the same climate as mine , 20 degrees North , I have fruiting marang at 300 meters above sea level .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 12:23:33 AM »
South FL is the same climate as mine , 20 degrees North , I have fruiting marang at 300 meters above sea level .
Southernmost point in Florida is 25 degrees, very different from 20 where you're at. A more comparable city in Mexico to S. Florida latitude would be Nuevo Leon, very far to the north of Pto. Vallarta. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:09:53 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 10:47:25 AM »
I planted 3 in ground.  They lasted 2-3 years, but did poorly, never reaching above - few feet high.  They definitely did not do  well in my yard.   As a comparison, I have had luck with breadfruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »
I planted 3 in ground.  They lasted 2-3 years, but did poorly, never reaching above - few feet high.  They definitely did not do  well in my yard.   As a comparison, I have had luck with breadfruit.
Probably the soil rather than the climate. Breadfruits are very tolerant of limestone, in fact they grow on coral atoll islands. Not sure, but perhaps the marang can't take the high pH of your soils?
Oscar

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 07:04:29 PM »
I am about 2 miles from the beach and my soil is all sand, down to 6ft or more (deepest I've dug), thus I'm hoping it's a bit better than lamestone...though I'm not sure if the ocean winds won't bother it too much since I know his breadfruit cousin hates wind.
- Marius

DJMadonia96

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 08:50:43 PM »
I'm thankfully far enough from the sea that I have nutral ph soil, but close enough to have milder winters. My soursop made it through no problem but it's in a protected position. If I plant any marang in the ground I'd assume I should do the same. Even with the bad cold snaps my yard stayed in the low 30s.

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 02:55:19 PM »
I'm in South Florida and tried to grow Marang for 30 seeds, all die even though I have successful germination. I tried indoor light, shade, full morning sun (all in potting soil in small pot). How do you guys get it to grow more than 5" tall? Anyway, I went to Excalibur as I read that someone saw they have Marang a while back ago. Richard told me to get Pedalai as it taste similar but better, and they will have Pedalai soon.

So, since Marang is such a pain the rear to grow, do you think Pedalai is a good substitute?

Also, with global warming, may be South Florida will get the climate like Miami/Key West in a couple years, so by than may be Marang (even Durian) will fruit in South Florida?

DJMadonia96

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 03:29:03 PM »
I'm in South Florida and tried to grow Marang for 30 seeds, all die even though I have successful germination. I tried indoor light, shade, full morning sun (all in potting soil in small pot). How do you guys get it to grow more than 5" tall? Anyway, I went to Excalibur as I read that someone saw they have Marang a while back ago. Richard told me to get Pedalai as it taste similar but better, and they will have Pedalai soon.

So, since Marang is such a pain the rear to grow, do you think Pedalai is a good substitute?

Also, with global warming, may be South Florida will get the climate like Miami/Key West in a couple years, so by than may be Marang (even Durian) will fruit in South Florida?

I have seeds of both species going. Some elephant jack seeds as well. That being said other than this winter it has been quite rare for me to get nights below 30. I'd say that many species are within the realm of possibility if they are properly protected from the cold. I'll have to see how the marang do long-term, but I'll probably wait until they are quote large to put in the ground.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »
When my Marang plant start to have yellow leaves, I tried raise them in the garage with light full time, they all die eventually. I will upload picture of the plant and see if it's climate related or something else. The sad thing is, I bought a Marang plant from ebay, it got ship from Hawaii to FL, spent 5 days in the mail. When I receive the plant, it's perfect just like the picture in ebay, but after left it outdoor with night temp no lower than 65F, it die within 10 days. Which part of FL are you at? I can't imaging Marang growing more inland of FL since it's a lot colder in land.

DJMadonia96

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 06:17:57 PM »
I'm costal sout west florida. Zone 10a

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 07:36:57 PM »
This marang tree as been negelected and unprotected for the last 4 years. Every once in a while, I pick it up after it has fallen on its side.  It got down to 37F here this winter.

Brandon

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 12:53:32 AM »
This marang tree as been negelected and unprotected for the last 4 years. Every once in a while, I pick it up after it has fallen on its side.  It got down to 37F here this winter.

At this speed your great grandchildren will be able to enjoy fruits of your labor  :P

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 01:16:51 AM »
the leaf burn on your Marang, it looks just like the leaf burn I was getting on my breadfruit, was starting to even burn the stem, and the top died off.  moved it to purely filtered light location, morning to 12 pm light blocked by walls and tall trees, afternoon and evening light blocked by sugarcane and roseapple.   growth is vigorous, green, no leaf burn, recovering, very confident of it now.   Assume breadfruit, marang, pedelai, these naturally want to be more of a single tall bole canopy tree, which means in the jungle they wouldn't see direct sunlight until 15 years of age or so.  On the other hand I have Lakoocha seedlings planted, and they are getting 3-4 hours of direct sunlight, and they are doing ok so far, but they have different leaves.

At this speed your great grandchildren will be able to enjoy fruits of your labor  :P

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 04:39:46 AM »

Pedalai tastes good, but is a very small fruit compared to marang. Also pedalia gets to be giant tree very quickly  in right climate. Global warming will not change Florida soils, nor will it change wide swings in temperature from day to night. The ultra tropicals like nice steady temperatures and not a big swing from daytime to nightime temperatures.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 05:19:28 AM »
TOLERABLE MINIMUM TEMPERATURES COMMON NAME CELCIUS
Abiu+1Mamoncillo-2Acerola+1Mango+1Black Sapote-1Mangosteen+3Breadfruit+8Marang+5Casimiroa-5MiracleFruit+1Charichuela+1Nutme+1Durian+3Pitaya+1Fiji Longan+1Pitomba-2Grumichama-2Pomelo+3Guava2Rambai/Tampoi+1Inga+1Rambutan/Pulasan+3Jaboticaba-3Rio Grande Cherry-6Jakfruit/Chempedak+1Rollinia+1Jujube-2Rose Apple+1Langsat/Duku+1Santol+1Longan-3Sapodilla-2Lychee-3South American Sapote+1Madrono+1Spondias+1Malay Apple+1Star Apple+1Mamey Americana+1Uvilla+1Mamey Sapote+1Wampee-4
PALMS
Jelly-5Salak+1NUTSGalip/Pili+1Macadamia-2Okari+1

Above are some of the published cold tolerances of fruit from the 1980's from length experience in Australia. I can see some errors like breadfruit should be 3c and chempadak should be 3/4c.Kelegang.marang,pedalai have similar tolerance to chempadak and kwai muk can handle lower temps.If smaller trees are needed of those with similar cold hardiness I would try kwai muk,keladang and chempadak.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »
These are what happened to my Marang seedling:

Any idea what could cause this? I have them under grow light occasionally get late afternoon sun from window. These were in the garage around 75-80F in South Florida winter (not humid). The photos were taken in December, they all are dead now.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
Global warming...lol

In all seriousness I have tried several times to grow Marang as an indoor/outdoor houseplant but I can never get them to survive. The Pedalai was more hardy in my experience but that wouldn't last either. I'll just wait till I move to try them again. Perhaps somewhere in Florida is the perfect micro-climate and soil to grow one. After all I can remember hearing folks saying hat Mangosteen couldn't grow/fruit in Florida but we now know under the right conditions it sure can.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »

Any idea what could cause this? I have them under grow light occasionally get late afternoon sun from window. These were in the garage around 75-80F in South Florida winter (not humid). The photos were taken in December, they all are dead now.

I read this all the time: " I gave them warmth, humidity, artificial light and they still died". First of of all most trees aren't your tomato plants. They have far more adcanced features how they able to sense and interact with surrounding environment. Many cool studies and experiments in this field. They have grearter need for real sunlight rather than tomato for example. Artificial light probably has one type of infra-red out of three, maybe few other wavelengths. There is a whole spectrum of ligh missing or gets filtered by a glass.
Another example, I could probably thrive and survive for a while in underground bunker with plastic food and a tanning bed to compensate sun. But eventually I will start to deteriorate
longing for real sun on my face and feeling of wind in my hair like I'm genetically accustomed. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 11:57:52 PM »

I would guess salt burn. Are you using filtered water?
Oscar

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
Oscar,

I'm using rain water. May to too much fertilizer in the potting mix? May be I should use seed starting mix instead?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 07:45:04 PM »
Oscar,

I'm using rain water. May to too much fertilizer in the potting mix? May be I should use seed starting mix instead?
What kind of fertilizer? Does it have sodium? Yes better to start in seed starting mix. Don't use fertilizer till well established.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 06:02:44 AM »
Chlorides like KCL can burn edges as well.

Rob P

• Australia, Gold Coast Queensland. 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 10:24:13 PM »
I have grown and fruited a Marang in South East Queensland, Australia  at latitude 28o South which has a climate almost like Tampa or Melbourne in Florida in regards to mean average temps and rainfall, except that I do not get the occasional freezes that they get. In 2007 we had a one in fifty year cold snap that saw two morning min. temps at 3 and 3.5oC and the tree was just fine.