Author Topic: Question for Fruitlovers!  (Read 3136 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Question for Fruitlovers!
« on: June 25, 2012, 02:24:17 PM »
hey Oscar

was thinking about shipping small seeds that have sprouted and are fragile..like inga...and wondering if you couldn't suspend them in that gelatin looking stuff that I see plants growing in (as a medium).

I'd think you could put them in a small plastic case (not too dissimilar from what you'd get out of those machines when u put a quarter in, and get a stupid toy).

Maybe put the seed in the tiny plastic case, with it half full of gelatin/soil mix, then fill other half...cap off and send?

Just an idea...I'm always wanting to increase the chances of a rare new fruit arriving to my town!

So far I must admit, you don't seem to need such an invention...all my seeds from u have done quite well when partially germinated...but I have heard inga has limited distribution due to the fragile seeds, and quick germination of the seed while still in the pod.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

BTW...looking for Inga sessilis !

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Fruitlovers!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »
Mr. Saffron,

what gelatine are you talking of?

Inga seeds are recalcitrant as hell. The best medium for keeping them viable is not taking them out of the pods. What I do is to mail the whole pods, so the seeds arrive in perfect conditions even after weeks  ;)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
I have found with inga edulis the best fattest fruits usually have seeds that have already sprouted when you eat the fruit.Roots can be quite long and in one I had on the weekend some roots were 5 inches even though the fruit was only just ripe.I wonder if a sealed plastic bag wrapped in damp paper would be enough.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 07:02:44 PM »
hey Oscar

was thinking about shipping small seeds that have sprouted and are fragile..like inga...and wondering if you couldn't suspend them in that gelatin looking stuff that I see plants growing in (as a medium).

I'd think you could put them in a small plastic case (not too dissimilar from what you'd get out of those machines when u put a quarter in, and get a stupid toy).

Maybe put the seed in the tiny plastic case, with it half full of gelatin/soil mix, then fill other half...cap off and send?

Just an idea...I'm always wanting to increase the chances of a rare new fruit arriving to my town!

So far I must admit, you don't seem to need such an invention...all my seeds from u have done quite well when partially germinated...but I have heard inga has limited distribution due to the fragile seeds, and quick germination of the seed while still in the pod.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

BTW...looking for Inga sessilis !

While it's true that the inga seeds often germinate inside the pod i wouldn't say that they are fragile. The best tactic is to harvest the pod a bit on the green side, BEFORE they start to germinate, but are already fully formed. Actually this is also the best stage for eating. If you get them at that stage, before they start turning yellow, then there will be no delicate long roots to deal with. If there are some long roots you can still ship them by using any moist medium and placing inside a small box with packing material, so they don't get crushed or bounced around. I think that's easier than using gel. I think the gel works really well though in bare rooted plants and seedlings.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 07:04:14 PM »
Mr. Saffron,

Inga seeds are recalcitrant as hell. The best medium for keeping them viable is not taking them out of the pods. What I do is to mail the whole pods, so the seeds arrive in perfect conditions even after weeks  ;)

It's not possible for me to send inga pods anywhere. Strictly forbidden by ag rules. Would be nice if i could as that would be super easy and people could enjoy eating and cleaning the seeds themselves.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »
Mr. Saffron,

that gel looking stuff thats soiless, type in soil gel into google u find it
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 01:57:05 PM »
Mr. Saffron,

that gel looking stuff thats soiless, type in soil gel into google u find it
I think its the same gel thats used to grow in vitro plants but with no grow hormones added.
It can be done Diy with agar and seeds wont need any fertiliser added because they allready have the food contained in the seeds.Verry small seeds might need fertiliser thogh.

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 03:39:01 PM »
The gel is agar. I think it’s a seaweed extract. I still have a few bottles of it when I was fooling around with micropropagation via tissue culture.

Just don’t add sugar to it and it won’t go moldy.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 09:39:44 PM »
I have Inga Spectabilis seeds that came from HI in paper towel, germinated but healthy.