Author Topic: Innarched and grafted Jaboticaba trees  (Read 10666 times)

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Innarched and grafted Jaboticaba trees
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 09:14:37 AM »
Pretty interesting stuff. I was inspired so I took a few scarlet jabs, probably the three worst looking ones I have and decided to experiment.  One inarched with sabara seedling, and two with multiple sabara seedlings braided together with the scarlet. I will be sure to post pictures when I have something to report.

Keep up the good work!

Well, The braided sabara seedlings died off, but the scarlet plant is doing fine. The jury is still out on the inarched graft.
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 11:03:47 AM »
Here is my Grimal grafted onto Sabara rootstock by Adam of Flying Fox Fruits. This tree was grafted around mid 2015 if I remember correctly and it is holding its first fruit now in mid 2017. The tree is 20 inches tall and 0.5 inches in diameter. It only has one fruit but it does have what appears to be flower buds starting to form elsewhere on the trunk. This fruit is really nice size for being such a young tree.

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »
Nice fruit Simon, i need to get my tree's in ground so that one day I'll get a fruit too! 8)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2017, 07:10:38 PM »
Thanks Scott, I think I'm going to actually keep most my Jaboticabas in pots since they fruit well in containers and it will be easier to move them to make room for other plants.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 09:49:59 PM »
I was walking through my jungle today and saw what I thought was a Jaboticaba Fruit sticking up above the weeds where I had several young potted Jaboticabas. I reached down and pulled the potted jab tree out and saw that the tag said Sabara and also noticed that this tree was my double rootstock experiment from this thread. I just can’t believe how early this tree fruited considering it’s a Sabara seedling and the diameter of the trunk is so small.

It’s just a single fruit so nothing to get too hyped up about but it’s still exciting. Maybe I got an off type Sabara seedling or the flower was cross pollinated by a red Jab? Can anyone tell by the leaves if it’s a regular Sabara seedling?

If you look at the diameter of the trunks at the beginning of this thread, you can see how thin my starting material was. If this seedling is a normal Sabara, it seems like I was able to cut in half the time to Fruit from seed. I could only think that it would have taken many more years if I did not innarch these two seedlings.

The double rootstocks definitely increased the rate of growth for this tree. I completely neglected this tree and definitely haven’t been giving it enough water. I will now try to reply it and start watering it regularly to see if I can get more production on it.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 09:51:19 PM »
Here’s the pics

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 09:52:06 PM »
The fruit

Simon

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 03:49:55 AM »
excellent work Simon. I am surprised the extra roostock would shorten the juvenile stage this quick. I have a sabara in ground from a 15 gal for almost five years. Its close to eight feet tall and the trunk about the size of my ankel and no fruit. Do you see flower buds emerging on the main trunk as well or is it mostly at the end of the branches?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 08:25:30 AM »
I never even saw any flowers. I’ll tske a closer look at the trunk to see if I notice any flowers there. This tree was somewhat hidden in tall weeds so there was a lot of shading. Only the outer canopy of this tree was in sunlight.

Simon

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 07:46:09 AM »
Fantastic result of a beautiful experiment.
It is really good to see one of your experiments paying off - and then so quickly as well. I have been following all your double rootstock experiments with great interest and like to experiment a lot myself. Most often to find that things don't really have the expected result. But this is great!
Thank you for posting! And ood luck on all the other experiments

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »
Thanks Xue and Solko,

Yeah, definitely lots of failures with a few successes but all the failures teach me and others what not to do. Hopefully this tree will start producing a little more each year. I’ve seen some really large Sabara trees about double the size of this tree that still hasn’t fruited yet.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2018, 12:37:17 PM »
excellent work Simon. I am surprised the extra roostock would shorten the juvenile stage this quick. I have a sabara in ground from a 15 gal for almost five years. Its close to eight feet tall and the trunk about the size of my ankel and no fruit. Do you see flower buds emerging on the main trunk as well or is it mostly at the end of the branches?

I just inspected this tree more thoroughly and realized that I also performed a paperclip girdling side experiment on this tree. Here is a picture of the branch that I girdled with a paperclip

Now if you follow this girdled branch up, I found this tiny cluster of flowers.

The actual fruit that is still hanging on the tree is from a branch that was not girdled so it’s inconclusive wether or not the girdling helped or not. The double rootstocks seems to work though.

Simon

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »
Very cool Simon. Will you leave or remove the paper clip? If you leave the clip, would it cause damage to the tree in the long run?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »
I just tried to remove the clip but it’s completely imbedded. I’m just going to clip off the excess and leave it. The cambium has engulfed the clip so there is sap flow.
Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2019, 10:12:08 PM »
I just noticed my first flower on my P. Coronata(Restinga) grafted onto Sabara rootstock.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2019, 10:24:34 PM »
While I’m at it, here’s the double rootstock Sabara with a small amount of flowers on it.

Grafted Grimal on Sabara rootstock

Grafted Paulista on Sabara rootstock. This is the only one that hasn’t flowered yet.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2019, 12:36:16 PM »
My double rootstock Sabara has a flower or two coming from a surface root. I’ve seen pictures of Jaboticaba trees with a bunch of fruit coming from the roots but it’s still cool to see it on one of my own plants.

Simon

kimjy3

• Virginia, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2019, 01:52:44 PM »
Very cool, Simon. Looks like the surface root is in the perfect spot for sunbathing!