Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Citrus tachibana

(1/10) > >>

lebmung:
Anyone growing Citrus tachibana?
According to Swingle it is strongly resistant to frost and snow.
Unfit for eating?

SoCal2warm:
It's probably close to Changsha mandarin in terms of edibility, though a bit more sour.

lebmung:

--- Quote from: SoCal2warm on March 16, 2019, 06:42:04 PM ---It's probably close to Changsha mandarin in terms of edibility, though a bit more sour.

--- End quote ---

"Changsha produces heavy crops of small, puffy, and seedy fruit. However, the fruit is very sweet and juicy."

SoCal2warm:
This is just from memory, the impression I got from reading about it in some research, it's a very close relative of C. reticula (mandarin) but more like a wild mandarin cousin. The flavor is probably a bit more bland, less sweet, and definitely inferior to a normal mandarin, but not distasteful.

C. tachibana has apparently been used in the past to breed several other native Japanese citrus varieties. It is the only citrus species believed to have been native to the islands of Japan.

It has moderate fairly good tolerance and apparently is quite accustomed to the growing conditions in Japan. (Which probably means its native climate is zone 9 but it can also survive zone 8, possibly with a bit of difficulty further north.
It's probably adapted to a somewhat cooler maritime climate than typical citrus.

You can take that for whatever it's worth. (Just some rough information in case you cannot find a better accurate source)

lebmung:
Yes I read the description. It's a wild mandarin native to Japan. The use it decoratively at shrines and imperial buildings.
I am more interested if someone ever tasted one.
It's used as a rootstock in Japan for satsuma mandarin along with Yuzu. Maybe try to adapt it to zone 8.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version