Author Topic: Mango tree and lychee flush growth  (Read 1399 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Mango tree and lychee flush growth
« on: November 01, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »
Last week we got rain not near as much as South Florida but a couple of my mangoes and both my lychee are having flush growth. This is a little concerning to me because I want them to calm down and prepare for flowering season. Is it still early enough that I shouldn't be concerned. I had zero lychee last season :(

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 03:10:32 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tree and lychee flesh growth concerns
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 12:51:07 PM »
It is what it is.  Mother nature rules.

How big/old is your lychee?
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tree and lychee flush growth concerns
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 01:11:57 PM »
The variety is unknown. I got it from the Vanderpool sisters which is Saint Cloud version of the Baldwin sisters. Anywho it's over 10 years old and about 8 ft tall
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 01:13:44 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 01:58:38 PM »
Don't water it anymore or the mango. Did you prune it in June/July?
My brother's wife is from China and her father is a farmer. He has lychees
every year on every tree. The difference is on their property it rarely
ever frosts but for 3 months its cloudy and very dry. It gets close to 40F
every night. Perfect cool dry period. After every fruiting season they prune
the trees back like the orange groves here and the fruit developes on the
new growth next year. Since we don't have the consistentant cool temps a
prolonged dry period will help and maybe enough cool nights?. If it's a wet
Winter then there is not much you can do. My brother's father in law also does
very well with mangos in their climate.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 02:20:48 PM »
Yes I pruned it back in early July. I only water in the dry season if I feel they need it. After last week's rains they took off like a rocket ship. Fortunately only a couple my mango had partial flush growth. I do not fertilized or water my sweet tart but it grows like a beast.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »
You want the lychee to flush after pruning.  It fruits off of new growth.  With that being said, only 8 feet after 10 years is on the small side.  Do you know if its an air layer or seedling? 
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 02:49:57 PM »
Most likely a Seedling it has really big fruit almost the size of a walnut. Is an alternate bear but I never really took any photos of the fruit because at that time I wasn't into photography. I was planning on submitting some photos with the next crop to see if you all could identify it. It used to be the second week in October we got relief from the heat but the last couple of years it's been a never ending summer. Almost like October is a summer month :(
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 02:53:24 PM by bovine421 »

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »
I think you will be ok. Mine started flushing towards the end of September and I knew the timing was going to be bad from past experience. I knew it would flush again end of November early December which is to early so I tip pruned the whole tree to set it back a few weeks. It started flushing mid October so it's a little ahead of yours but I'm afraid mine might still be to early on the next flush. I need it to wait until January but I'm not sure if it will wait that long. If it doesn't work out I'll know I need to adjust the timing next year. Mine has been in ground for 5 years and is getting big.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:06:43 PM by C24mccain »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 02:59:30 PM »
Thank you for your reassurance and information on timing of pruning. That is a beautiful tree you have what variety is it? I think mine must be an emperor by the size of the tree and the fruit.  It's been productive so it must have been air Layerd. I have my fingers crossed that everyone will have a good season for lychee
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 03:01:44 PM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »
Thank you for your reassurance and information on timing of pruning. That is a beautiful tree you have what variety is it? I think mine must be an emperor by the size of the tree and the fruit.  It's been productive so it must have been air Layerd. I have my fingers crossed that everyone will have a good season for lychee

Post a picture of a branch and the leaves.  The Emperor has a distinct look to it
- Rob

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 07:24:52 PM »

It's a Mauritius.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »

Post a picture of a branch and the leaves.  The Emperor has a distinct look to it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk