Author Topic: Figs in the tropics?  (Read 20030 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Figs in the tropics?
« on: July 25, 2012, 01:10:27 PM »
Does anyone have experience with growing common fig (ficus carica) in the tropics or know if anyone or tree(s) successfully grown in tropical location(s).  I'm aware and familiar with Ficus racemosa grown in Vietnam, but was wondering if I was to give my father-in-law a Ficus carica, how well will it fare?  Will it go through dormancy or skip due to tropical condition and how does it affect fruiting/quality?
Tim

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Figs in the tropics?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »
Does anyone have experience with growing common fig (ficus carica) in the tropics or know if anyone or tree(s) successfully grown in tropical location(s).  I'm aware and familiar with Ficus racemosa grown in Vietnam, but was wondering if I was to give my father-in-law a Ficus carica, how well will it fare?  Will it go through dormancy or skip due to tropical condition and how does it affect fruiting/quality?

While South Flroida is not in the tropics, my expereince may be helpful.  First, I have grown (or rather atempted to grow) several figs.  So far, I have tried Brown Turkey, Mahogany, Celeste, Green Ischia and recent introductions (thanks JSVand) of LSU Gold and Black Medeira.  I do not do well with these at all.  They do not like my soil in general.....or perhaps it is a nematode issue, I am not sure.  The LSU Gold and Black Medeira didn't do much better even in a pot ( my lawn man weed whacking the heck out of them, notwithstanding).  Celeste seems to be the most viable option for growing here.  However, mine fruits very little.  I have been told that I can get better crops on it by doing some pruning.  I have put this project (pruning) on my list of things to do (that I probably won't ever get to).  The fruit that is produced is quite nice....but the birds think so too, so I get to eat almost none of them.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »
Thanks for the input, Harry.  I was thinking along the line of LSU series as well.

They fruit on new wood and respond well to pruning/severe pruning so hack them back when you get the chance.  Check this link out

As much as Black Madeira being a superior fig to most, it cracks & split even in San Diego, I can't imagine it being a success for you in FL.  I think John's just messing with your head  ;D
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »
Frankiies in Hawaii has a cultivar called Excell, which is white, and performs well in tropics.

I also hear they can be grafted on to more tropical ficus species, and you can have a really unique huge fig tree.

I've been grafting figs now, and it's quite easy.

I have some  tropical type fig rootstocks that I'm going to graft up soon.

I'll be sure not to post the status of my grafts....each time I do, they fail.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »
Of the 45 local wild fig species Ficus racemosa is common and comes in 2 forms, a lowland 100 ft type with big red fruit mostly on the lower trunk and an upland one that is shorter and more ramiflorous/cauliflorous.They prefer streamlines in the 50 to 90 inch rainfall zone.
A workmate successfully grows brown turkeys whereas I could not.He tanks up on fruit but his genoa,conundria? and white adriatics struggle.People told him it would be impossible with the heat an humidity of summer and in a spot that gets 90 inches of rain a year.He takes great delight in showing pictures of his booming trees.I tried an my brown turkeys died and I could not find other heat lovers.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »
I grew excell whites, brown turkey and white genoa a few years back. They grew okay, but army grubs destroyed all three in a single day while I was at work. To grow them I'd need to net the plant at all times. With the store price between $20-40 per kilo, its probably worth it. I've got a few sandpaper figs at the farm, some of which are good, but quite small.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »
Yes figs grow well in the tropic. Should really say they grow well in dry tropics. Here in the rainforest they don't do so well. Even when they fruit they tend to be bland. Over on dry side of the island they do just fine. One of most consistent bearers here is Brown Turkey, not worth fighting the birds over in my opinion. I tried 1/2 a dozen cultivars when i first got here. Just gave up on them.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 06:38:52 AM »
Oscar I was aware that they prefer drier climates.Most people I know lose their plants in the warmer and wetter time of the year.I figured it was because the minumums stay above 74 for months and humidity is at saturation.On the wetter parts of the the adjacent tablelands where summer mins are more like 64,figs seem to do ok.They grow really well and are good quality from the dry parts of the atherton tablelands with a subtropical climate.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »
Thanks everyone for great inputs.  As much as I talk down on Brown Turkey and lumping it with Tommy Atkins, I can't bring myself to give anyone this fig, friends or foes  ;D

Being a city plot with two fully grown mango trees, there's hardly any room left to put another in ground tree so potting is more logical.  They can also wheel it to a protected area in the wet season as well.  Finding the right candidate is the key.
Tim

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »
Tim,

Try to track down these fig varieties;
BATTAGLIA GREEN
HUNT

Supposedly these do well in the south and put up with excessive rain. Both have description for excellent quality fruit.  I found the varieties under here; http://figs4fun.com/Varieties.html

From figs4fun.com
"DESCRIPTION
At Saharanpur, India, 'Brown Turkey', 'Bangalore', 'Black Ischia' and 'Lucknow' are successfully grown. Around Bombay, there is only one variety, 'Poona'. (019) "

These may do very well in a hot humid tropical climate;
BANGALORE
POONA

Some others that may perform well (reported to do well in southern states);
ALMA
CELESTE
EXCEL
LSU PURPLE
NERO
SHTAWI

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:04:19 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 05:53:11 PM »
I found the varieties under here; http://figs4fun.com/Varieties.html
Hmm.. Jon Verdick's website. You can probably get it from him down in San Diego. Last I heard he had 800+ fig plants, or varieties, I forget which.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 06:02:03 PM »
I found the varieties under here; http://figs4fun.com/Varieties.html
Hmm.. Jon Verdick's website. You can probably get it from him down in San Diego. Last I heard he had 800+ fig plants, or varieties, I forget which.

Bought a Vista fig from Jon back in 2010. So far its doing well, needs to be moved to a larger container though.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Camillo Alexis

• Pomegrove tropicals
  • Eat what you grow and grow what you eat
    • Granada St. Georges (West Indies)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU5bkcCvm-vFbvWG_LwIbmg
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 01:36:13 PM »
I live in an ultra tropical climate in the Caribbean. There is a variety that grows very well here and fruits well. I have tasted it and it takes a while to acquire the taste for it,  can't comment on whether or not it is a good tasting variety as I've never had any other fig for comparison, i'll post pics when I can. 

ps. I also have a small cutting that is growing very well.
Eat what you grow and grow what you eat

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 02:20:27 PM »
Tim,

Older thread, but if you still haven't decided on a variety to send, maybe this will help a bit in decision making. How about Panache fig(tiger stripe)? This guy from Indonesia, grows the Panache variety and seem to get fruits, maybe you can get cuttings to F-I-L and they'll do ok in Vietnam?

His link from GW of his propagating method http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg1101440816156.html

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:51:35 PM »
Good day,

I was given a fig cuttngs that originated in Southern California. I am not sure what variety it is but it grows well here in our province here in the Philippines which has a dry and rainy season.  It also fruits throughout the season also.

Tropical fruit collector enthusiast

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 12:54:04 AM »
I remember in trial i did here of 6 or so types of figs that Alma did well and was good tasting fig.
Oscar

gav

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 03:30:43 AM »
Hi fruitnursery,

Could you please describe more what you have observed with your fig plant? Fruit size, shape, skin color, pulp color, etc. It would be interesting to know more about it.

I am also from the Philippines, Davao specifically, and have plant figs early last year 2013. I already have some 7 varieties, both from seedlings and cuttings. Of all seven, the Brown Turkey is the most remarkable because it has grown to 7 feet high and started to give sweet ripe figs which are resistant to splitting despite the rains. Others are catching up in growth: Corfl, Kadota, Kun Ming, Osborne, China "Fertility" and Anatolian Autumn Green.

I hope other fig planters in the Philippines will also share their experiences. Ciao!

Sudyot

• Thailand/Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 11:01:02 PM »
Hello, asa ka dapit sa Davao brad? Naa ko Thailand now and I have figs in here doing well and selling well also.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 12:08:27 AM »
LSU purple was my best performing fig this year. I ate 2-3 figs a day all summer long, I had a LSU gold that kicked butt last year but it died last winter on an unusually cold night in the end of February. I planted another LSU purple this year. I have tried about 10 varieties and the LSU figs handle the humidity the best. They also don't loose all their leaves in the winter like most figs and produce the following year. I plant in the ground with allot of mulch which is suppose to help the florida nemotodes. But I also read the LSU purple is more resistant to nemotodes anyway?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 12:49:04 AM »
I too have tried several of the varieties Harry tried without success. I tried soil amendments out the wazoo, some grew like wildfire, some got rust none ever fruited. I threw in the towel this last fall.

Regards,

Gary

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
I saw Figs (Ficus carica) at Tenerife (28°N), it's not tropic, but it's near and winter is just 6° colder than summer.

Ficus in tropic should be evergreen.