Author Topic: Bananas for sale in SoCal  (Read 7996 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Bananas for sale in SoCal
« on: April 13, 2018, 12:35:43 PM »
Hi all, I grow the following bananas.  All heights listed are the height of the Pseudostem i.e. "trunk" at fruiting height. By propping I mean that certain varieties when fruiting become top heavy and will fall over. To prevent this they need to be propped up.  The size doesn't really matter because they grow so fast. The true value here is that you are actually getting the variety you pay for.  Many, many bananas sold online and at nurseries are mislabeled. 

2-3 gallon plants are $20 and about 2-3 feet tall total height excluding pot.  California Gold, Blue Java, Paggi and Dwarf Red cost $30.
5-7 gallon plants are $35 and about 4 feet tall total height excluding pot.  California Gold, Blue Java, Paggi and Dwarf Red cost $45.
15 gallon plants are $50 and 5 feet or taller, total height excluding pot.  California Gold, Blue Java, Paggi and Dwarf Red cost $60.

Currently available for sale I have Gold Finger in 15 gallon, Manzano in 2 and 5 gallon, Mysore in 5 and 15 gallon, Gros Michel in 5 gallon, Raja Puri in 2 gallon and California Gold in 5 gallon. 

Dwarf Brazilian - Beautiful plant, grows to 9-10' tall, nice wide dark green leaves, produces large bunches of delicious fruit. This is a Hawaiian variety. In Hawaii it is called an Apple Banana. THIS IS A MUST HAVE! If you only grow one banana, this is it! Never needs propping.

Gold Finger - Nice banana, grows to about 8', large fruit. It is a cross between Dwarf Brazilian and Gran Nain (the bananas you buy in the store i.e. Chiquita bananas). Needs propping.

Manzano - Grows tall and skinny, produces bananas that have a slight green apple taste to them, grows to 12-13' tall. Requires propping.

Mysore -  Very vigorous, monster of a banana plant. The plant is beautiful with reddish purple coloring in the trunk, and the underside of the leaf. Produces huge bunches of very sweet flavorful bananas. Widely grown in India and one of the favorite dessert bananas there. Very ornamental and a good producer of quality bananas. Grows to 13-14' tall. Requires propping.

Blue Java AKA Ice Cream - This is the real Ice Cream banana. Most bananas sold as Ice Cream aren't the real thing. What makes this banana unique is it's light and fluffy texture with a slight vanilla taste. The fruit ripens to a blue, silver color with light green leaves on the plant. Grows to 12-13' tall. This is a Hawaiian variety. It requires propping. This variety costs $10 more than other varieties.

Dwarf Namwa - Produces 200-300 of the sweetest bananas you have ever tasted! Fruit flesh is dense and light orange colored. This banana is from Thailand.  Does not require propping. Grows to 7-9' tall.

Red Iholene - One of the most beautiful banana plants due to its attractive coloring of red and purple on the trunk and under sides of the leaves. The pink fleshed bananas are delicious fresh or cooked and is a favorite Hawaiian variety. Very beautiful plant but it is cold sensitive.  It grows to 12'.

Gros Michel - The original store bought banana! Up until the 1950's this was the most popular banana sold in the world. Most of the plants were killed by disease and the banana industry switched to a new variety. The Gros Michel is a little larger and MUCH better tasting than the bananas sold in stores today. Grows to 12', requires propping.

California Gold - What makes this banana special is it's cold tolerance. It is reported to be the most cold hardy fruiting banana. Excellent for colder areas where bananas usually can't grow. Grows to 8' tall and does not require propping. This variety costs $10 more than other varieties.

Raja Puri - A very popular banana from India. It is very tolerant to cold, heat and wind.  It grows 8-10' tall. Sometimes needs propping.

Dwarf Red - Very beautiful short plant that is sensitive to cold. Only Gros Michel is more cold sensitive. The plant has red coloring to Pseudostem and fruit. If you live close to the coast I highly recommend this variety. It is a beautiful plant, with beautiful fruit that tastes great and doesn't need to be propped. These are the red bananas you can buy in the store. It grows very slow. Grows to only 7-8' tall. This variety costs $10 more than other varieties.

Paggi - Not much is know about this variety. It is believed to be related to Gros Michel. Many that have tried it say it is the best tasting banana they have ever had. I believe it grows to about 12 feet. Limited availability. This variety costs $10 more than other varieties.

Bill

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 03:36:25 PM by BestDay »

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Re: Bananas for sale in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 06:48:49 AM »
Is the Ice Cream aka Blue Java?

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:00:04 AM »
Yes the Ice Cream I have is the real Blue Java.  Right now I only have a small pup and I'm not sure if it will live.  I didn't get much corm or roots when I removed it from the mother plant.  Try me in a couple weeks and I'll let you know how it did.

Bill

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »
Have all of these varieties produced fruit for you in your yard?

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 03:31:39 PM »
No, not all. I have fruited namwa, ice cream, California gold, raja puri, goldfinger, and dwarf Brazilian.

Bill

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
Bill what types are currently available?  My brother in law lives in LB, can I send him or mother in law to pickup some banans?  I prefer shorter trees that don't need propping as it's windy here.  I already have dwarf Cavendish and ice cream.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:55:19 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 12:57:29 AM »
PM sent.

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
Post price please.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 12:09:42 PM »
That's strange somehow when I modified the post I deleted the price.  I have modified it again to now show the price.  They are $20 each.

Bill

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 06:13:28 PM »
Are these pick up only or can you ship?
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 07:27:50 PM »
PM sent.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 09:38:25 PM »
Availability updated.

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 03:49:40 AM »
can you ship these?

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 10:04:52 AM »
Sorry but I'm not really interested in shipping these.

Bill

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 02:10:52 AM »
Hi Bill, just checking what you still have in the large sizes? Thanks, Chris
-Chris

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »
I have one 7 gallon Namwa and one 7 gallon Blue Java available. I have one 15 gallon Blue Java but it is supposed to be picked up and paid for today. If that doesn't happen then it is available.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
Availability updated.

Bill

Kaelix87

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »
PM sent.

Ckitto

• USA, CA, Hacienda Heights
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 09:06:09 PM »
PM sent. Interested in the 6 gallons Draft Brazilian.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 12:10:19 PM »
Availability updated.

Bill

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 01:41:17 AM »
P to the M sent.
-Chris

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 02:33:13 PM »
Availability updated.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »
Availability updated.

Bill

Peru918

• Charleston, South Carolina, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2019, 02:12:21 PM »
If you ever become willing to ship, I'd love to buy a few

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 02:33:37 PM »
Hi, sorry but shipping really isn't worth the hassle to me.  Good luck.

Bill