Author Topic: Bonny Doon Avocado  (Read 5004 times)

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
Bonny Doon Avocado
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:41:52 PM »
Hi, I was curious. Does anyone have a Bonny Doon Avocado planted in ground? I would like to know how it is doing for you. I was told from someone else that the original tree is in a protected location which leaves the cold hardiness stated somewhat suspect. I would also like your thoughts on taste, productivity and growth.
Thanks

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
Re: Bonny Doon Avocado
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »
I can't speak specifically on that one, but I have seen supposed "cold hardy avos" growing next to walls, building, and heat sinks before.   

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »
Hi, I was curious. Does anyone have a Bonny Doon Avocado planted in ground? I would like to know how it is doing for you. I was told from someone else that the original tree is in a protected location which leaves the cold hardiness stated somewhat suspect. I would also like your thoughts on taste, productivity and growth.
Thanks

The original tree isn't in a protected location.  It's behind a grocery store in Santa Cruz, CA, in the open, though it is surrounded by concrete.

A couple of years back I spoke with one of the people who works there, and he said that many years back that the produce department was right next to that area, and one of people there planted a seed (which I assume means it's a Hass seedling).

I haven't tasted the fruit, but it gets pretty high marks from those I've spoken with, including Ellen of Epicenter Nursery who propagates it.  Ellen's place in La Selva Beach is a good bit colder than Santa Cruz even though it's only about 10 miles away -- La Selva Beach is pretty solidly zone 9b and every few years dips down to 22 F or so, and they get very little summer growing heat (similar summer weather to San Francisco) to mitigate the cold winters.  Despite that it apparently does well.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 10:21:34 AM »
Hi barath,

Nice! Yes, between your comments about the avocado here and on Cloudforest, it is one that I am very excited to try. Thanks for the info!
- Mark

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 10:41:15 AM »
Here's a quote from Ellen about her Bonny Doon tree after the cold spell we had in December 2013:

The Bonny Doon is an incredibly tough tree.  It got down to 22 degrees two nights in a row and that tree suffered less damage than even my Zutano.

(As a reference point, here in the East Bay it bottomed out at 30 F during the same episode -- La Selva Beach can get cold!)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:50:51 AM by barath »

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 11:01:55 AM »
Here's a quote from Ellen about her Bonny Doon tree after the cold spell we had in December 2013:

The Bonny Doon is an incredibly tough tree.  It got down to 22 degrees two nights in a row and that tree suffered less damage than even my Zutano.

(As a reference point, here in the East Bay it bottomed out at 30 F during the same episode -- La Selva Beach can get cold!)

Whoa, that's awesome! I planted a Zutano for its cold hardiness. But Zutano fruit is just 'meh'. I know what I am going to be top-working it with :)
- Mark

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 09:06:02 PM »
Tried to get a Bonny Doon for a couple years from Epicenter, but was unavailable. I should just drive up and get some scion wood!
Shane

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 08:11:43 AM »
Hi, I am a little confused about the original trees location? The story I read about it stated it was located (in front) of a wine tasting room? The original Bonny Doon winery before they moved. So which one is the real one described by Ellen at the epicenter? Is the grocery store in the former winery's location?
Thanks

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 11:02:09 AM »
Hi, I am a little confused about the original trees location? The story I read about it stated it was located (in front) of a wine tasting room? The original Bonny Doon winery before they moved. So which one is the real one described by Ellen at the epicenter? Is the grocery store in the former winery's location?
Thanks

Their tasting room is (was) on the street behind the grocery store.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 06:25:19 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me :). At my age I get confused  a lot more easily ;)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 11:37:15 AM »
Whats the grocery store name or a street name close by anyone see the tree lately is it still standing ?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 04:31:33 PM »
Looks great as usual, I’ll try to pick some fruit and get a picture up.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 03:54:01 PM »
I got to see the tree in person myself, but it was at night not a real large tree it seems like its only about a mile or 2 from beach and its close to a building and surounded by alot of cement i dont think this tree sees real cold temps but Ellens tree or trees sounds like her area gets much colder. I didnt notice fruit but i didnt look super close so im not sure if its an alternate bearer or not.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 05:48:33 PM »
I've got one growing in ground for a few months now. Doing fine

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 10:50:32 PM »
Some of This year’s crop from the Mother tree.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 06:16:39 AM »
Nice, I still have the one I grafted. The top got frozen back by the freeze form the year before, we had below freezing temps for a solid week. I had a quick frame over it with a tarp and flood lights. I did manage to get a few fruits between the squirrel raids and they are good. I think I need to step up my feeding regime though I am afraid of over doing it.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 12:19:45 PM »
You said some damage from freeze the year before do you have idea on temps that did the damage like 25 or 27 degrees ? And other post on picture does fruit get any bigger ? they seem like a miniture reed for shape, is the flesh in fruit about same amount as a small hass ?

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »
It's hard to be accurate on the temps because I did protect the tree during the freeze. I did not measure the temps inside the tarp enclosure, however the outside temp hit lows of 18 degrees for six nights straight. Also put 4 five gallon buckets of water in the enclosures to help. I now have the Boony Doon planted next to my propane Tank on the side of my house where it will get full morning sun during the winter. Fruit are small with a small seed and a good taste. The Epicenter has a more detailed description.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 05:05:20 PM »
With Angie there is an off-flavor near the skin.  When this predominates, your eating experience suffers.
John

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
The Bonny Doon has worked out well for me so far, manageable size and has fruited. Currently I am searching for scions or grafted trees of these varieties.
1. Big Black Johnson
2. Delray
3. Puebla

The first two are newer less known types and the last is a old almost extinct type.
I wonder what would happen if I cross pollinated the big black Johnson with my Bonny Doon?
Maybe a smaller cold hardy tree with better fruit?
Might be fun to find out. :)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 03:21:36 PM »
My boony doon graft small in pot will get in ground in a year... the black johnson should be fairly cold hardy since the fruit looks like a hughe mexicola but ya might be good to try to cross it with a boony doon since epiceter claims the boony doon can handle cold temps. Or cross with a duke many say they can also handle low temps well.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 03:28:37 PM »
Too bad BD fruit is small thats the thing i dont like so much but the taste reported by others as excellent ive never tryed a BD fruit yet. I look forward to the day in a few years from now.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 03:37:11 PM »
The mother tree not hughe im guessing 20 by 20 feet at the most it has 3 trunks i have no clue how old it is i consider it protected mainly from being close to the ocean, it might get protection from building also as its probably within 20 feet away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk