Author Topic: "Colombia" mango  (Read 2162 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
"Colombia" mango
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:48 PM »
Went to frankies over the wknd and they were selling this mango...  Must've gotten it on a past trip.  They called it "Colombia" mango.  Any other names for this one?  all I know is that I liked it a lot! Very juicy, no fiber.  Had a small zing at the end.  One of my favorites this summer. 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:12:05 PM by palologrower »

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: "Colombia" mango
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 10:43:07 PM »
I think one of the most known Colombian mangos is Vallenato, could it be the same?
El verde es vida!

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 11:23:41 PM »
Colombia does not have a big selection of local varieties,  I looked over some Spanish language documents,  and believe the one you have could be the Colombian "Manzano" variety.  shape and color look about right.  not sure if the Colombian manzano is the same as the Mexican manzano,  I do not think they are the same,  the Colombian manzano is described as being around 300 grams,  and I believe the Mexican one is a lot bigger, if I am not mistaken.

Manzano in Spanish is "Apple"  just in case you did not know. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:48:06 PM »
Colombia does not have a big selection of local varieties,  I looked over some Spanish language documents,  and believe the one you have could be the Colombian "Manzano" variety.  shape and color look about right.  not sure if the Colombian manzano is the same as the Mexican manzano,  I do not think they are the same,  the Colombian manzano is described as being around 300 grams,  and I believe the Mexican one is a lot bigger, if I am not mistaken.

the Mexican one is "Manzanillo" it refers to the  name of the town it was selected ,Located on the Pacific coast, and the color is more of a very dark red almost wine color through the whole mango...
El verde es vida!

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 02:11:31 AM »

the Mexican one is "Manzanillo" it refers to the  name of the town it was selected ,Located on the Pacific coast, and the color is more of a very dark red almost wine color through the whole mango...

Cool, was running on memory, just remembered they were not that small. and were red and not as oval.   we have a local variety that is also called manzano,  I guess they get these names from the locals because of the shape/color .
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
Thanks for the information!  And no, I don't know any Spanish.  Only know Japanese....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk