Author Topic: "inarching" jackfruit  (Read 1845 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
"inarching" jackfruit
« on: July 16, 2016, 09:24:11 AM »
I have a couple of jackfruit seedlings (thanks to a generous forum member!) in the same pot. I read on Hort Purdue (https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/jackfruit_ars.html): "In Travancore, the whole fruit is buried, the many seedlings which spring up are bound together with straw and they gradually fuse into one tree which bears in 6 to 7 years." So what do people here think - if I bind my seedlings together will they eventually fuse into one tree? I'm inclined to try it, but I don't want to kill my jackfruit.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: "inarching" jackfruit
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:15:24 PM »
I've read that growing multiple seedlings in close proximity will cause the seedlings to eventually grow so close that they will eventually fuse together, this method may be easier than approach grafting multiple seedlings.

The downside is that you will have some time before they fuse and each seedling will grow as a single tree with its own trunk so it will not have the added benefit of multiple root systems feeding into a single trunk. The benefit of multiple seedlings grown together is that you will have multiple fruit from the different trunks.

It really depends on what your goal is? If you want precocity, innarch or approach graft onto a single trunk.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 12:16:31 PM »
See this thread to get some ideas
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=109.0

Simon

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »
... each seedling will grow as a single tree with its own trunk so it will not have the added benefit of multiple root systems feeding into a single trunk.

I'm not sure this is entirely true, Simon. Once two branches completely fused with each other, they become one. They are NOT just glued together. Therefore, starting from the fused point on up, it's just one trunk. And in the case of 2 trees fused together at the trunk level, they just become one trunk with 2 main branches. My point of view anyway.
Thera

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »
Thera, that's a great point. The seedlings will still need to grow to the point of fusion Before any benefits of additional photosynthates from any additional rootstocks.

Simon

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
I have done this and my current seedling bundle has been in the ground since 2011.  Not a single flower from any of the multiple bundled seedlings.  They are not completely fused but are probably at least partially fused toward the center of the bunch.  I'll take a current pic tomorrow if I get a chance. 

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 09:06:14 PM »
Let me clarify a little. The seeds arrived already sprouted and with their roots entangled. Not wanting to break the roots or the sprouts, I just planted the three as they were in the same milk carton. They're all about 6 inches tall now, roots are starting to poke out the bottom. I know jackfruit is a pretty big tree and I don't really think I have space for more than one anyway, plus at this point separating them could be disastrous. I guess my question is, should I just plant them together as they are as if they were one tree and let them do their thing, whatever that turns out to be, or should I tie them together like they say in the text I quoted? I suppose a third option would be actual inarch grafting, but I don't think my skills are up to that so I think I'll rule it out from the git.
Related question - if the trunks of three seedlings fuse as they grow together, by the time they produce fruit, whose fruit are they producing? That of one of the seedlings, or two, or all???
Thanks for the input guys!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk