Author Topic: Queensland  (Read 2595 times)

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
Queensland
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:56:36 AM »
Hi Everyone, not sure if this is the place to post so please move if you have too. I am hoping to visit Queensland in January 2016 and am looking for reccomended places to see. I am going to try and split my time between the south and north. Whilst on the gold coast I am going to head down into northern nsw and see tropical fruit world, Daleys if possible, forbidden fruits, burringbarr nursery as well as a few others, in the north I am going to try get to limberlost and maybe get as north as cape tribulation tropical fruit farm. If anyone has any recommendations on places to visit, or are willing to share their experiences, gardens etc, I would appreciate any info anyone has to offer. PM me or post here.
Regards

echinopora

• View Profile
Re: Queensland
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:31:07 PM »
Just fruit related stuff? Turners garden center in Rochdale sometimes has some good stuff but pricey, mt coot tha in brisbane has a botanical garden with some fruit trees, some rare fruit sometimes shows up at the byron farmers market on thursday mornings, check to see if picone exotic orchard still does tours near Tyagara.  If you are in newrybar have a stop into harvest cafe. I live half way between terranora and tweed heads,  shoot me a pm if you want.

Rob
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:55:58 PM by echinopora »

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »
You're definitely going to want to take a trip to Rusty's fruit market up in cairns. Might be worth sending  message to Mike T, he might be able to help you out.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 05:56:23 PM »
Echinopora, mainly tropical fruit and nut related, though I'm interested in any recommendations. Starling; thanks Ill add rustys to the list. Any dragon fruit farms/ growers that i could go visit?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:58:12 PM by druss »

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 06:03:01 PM »
Echinopora, mainly tropical fruit and nut related, though I'm interested in any recommendations. Starling; thanks Ill add rustys to the list. Any dragon fruit farms/ growers that i could go visit?

You could pay a visit to red fox pitaya in nanango. Bernice is a nice Lady, a skilled breeder, and runs tours. Avoid Tamborine Dragon fruit farm. The guy that runs that place is a mean spirited Joker, and all his varieties are terrible with exceedingly average brix ratings and no flavour.

http://www.aussiedragonfruit.com/Contact_Us.php
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:14:01 PM by starling1 »

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 08:13:43 PM »
I think Digby sold the cape trib business, so I don't think they run the tours and tastings anymore? I wouldn't head further north than Mossman for Scomazzons.
A drive between Townsville and Cairns would prove productive - Bruno Figera and Peter Saleras and others may be open to visits. There are a few others around Tully that have everything. Best to try to contact through the RFA.
If in Cairns, yes Rusty's and the Flecker gardens are the main easy access spots. The fruit tree plantings at the lakes across from the airport road are pretty impressive in the right season. Mike has all the hot tips though...

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 04:11:58 AM »
Are you after anything specific df wise (cuttings) or more interested in seeing the setups?
Rob

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 09:28:13 AM »
both really, we dont get much in the way of variety here. So if I can taste and possibly purchase then excellent,  Id also like to see some setups there seems to be a bit of an art to it and some seem to have more luck than others. This applies to most of the tropical fruit trees, Id like to taste some fresh not cross country shipped samples, speaking of which someone mentioned to visit picone orchards if I had time. I will send a msg to MikeT and see if he has any hot tips :). Thanks Bmc , by RFA you mean rare fruit australia? I am not a member there yet and didnt see a forum. I will email Cape trib and see if they do tours, no point going that far otherwise. getting a good list now .

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 02:19:54 PM »
I'm sure if you message a month or so before you come you might find some gifts along the way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk