Author Topic: Oriental fruit fly in the Redlands!  (Read 13193 times)

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Re: Oriental fruit fly in the Redlands!
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 03:37:13 PM »
Saw them checking a trap in front of my house today. It was negative. He said another negative breeding cycle and we'll be clear.

That is awesome news!

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 03:38:46 PM »
I'm interested in these insect traps- for personal observational purposes. Are those custom traps or home made? Can sticky fly tape be used?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 01:58:23 PM »
For those interested here is a map of the quarantine area and fruit fly findings.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 03:13:44 PM »
I'm interested in these insect traps- for personal observational purposes. Are those custom traps or home made? Can sticky fly tape be used?
The point of those traps is to take surveys over a period to time and geographic area: what species are active there, estimate the size of the population. Map it over a large area and you get a good heat map of insect concentration areas and you can, for example, focus effort on treating the hot spots.

Not sure if it's useful for you to do as an individual unless you have miles and miles of land and people to set traps and count insects every few months.

With fly paper, you'll get an idea of what insects you have but no idea if that's enough to be of concern, since you don't have data from surrounding areas to compare.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 03:48:12 PM »
i thought you were talking about the "Redlands" in Texas actually
which made me real nervous (in New Orleans)
ive never seen a fruit fly.

I did find Asian psyllids in my satsuma and lemon trees a couple of months ago.
Asian psyllids are responsible for citrus greening disease.
they "sometimes" carry the virus. I have the Asian psyllids...
The Dept of Ag came out and took samples,
i am waiting to hear back to see if my trees have the virus.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 10:25:04 PM »
If this Fruit-Fly invasion is persistent, there may be no other choice but to contact plant scientists that are familiar with the new 'CRISPR/CAS9' technology, in order to ultimately make the Fruit-Fly extinct and problem solved.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17632.msg222516#msg222516
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/crispr-dna-editing-2/
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2015, 11:43:12 AM »
Hi guys don't feel bad I have live in Central  Fl. for 49 yrs. and I have never heard of the (Redland) new to me! ,but I do remember in 1998 when a Huey Helicopter spray my new $24k Chevy Van with Malathion as I was en route to Orlando from Tampa to take a State exam, the spots stained the grill and plastics could not get them off.
Carlos O

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2015, 04:06:20 PM »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »
natural news is usually a very hype site. I found this and it does look like they will still have the quarantine on until February unless they find more flies when they reset the countdown for waiting 3 life cycles. They have found 165 flies.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-florida-fruit-flies-20151024-story.html

It might be an opportunity for a processor to harvest and cook/freeze/can some fruits if it could be done inside the quarantine zone so that fruit wouldn't be wasted, or an opportunity to feast within the hot zone!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:52:24 PM by pineislander »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 11:13:19 PM »
111 fruit flies? I catch that in a day.  :o
If they spread, the US is in for a shock. Though I imagine they'd only be able to live in the very south of Florida, as they don't go far south of Sydney here.
They do sting thin skinned mangoes (My ARKP gets hammered, but Kwan, most greens, and Maha are fine), so Zill will just have to breed for thick skin as well  ;)
Actually, they sting just about everything, except super tart fruits. I've had them in very thick skinned pummelo, Meyer Lemons (100% of fruit get stung), tangelo, mandarins, eggplant, tomato, chilli, grumixama, pomegranate. Basically, if they are hungry and its not too cold, they'll sting almost anything sweeter than a Eureka Lemon... Happily they cant sting small round tight skinned fruit, so Jaboticaba is okay. Dry sapotes are also okay - Black, yellow, mamey, green are all okay. White gets destroyed. Anonoas are okay. 100% of stonefruit get done.
Here's to hoping they don't get loose...

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2015, 11:36:10 PM »
Hi guys don't feel bad I have live in Central  Fl. for 49 yrs. and I have never heard of the (Redland) new to me! ,but I do remember in 1998 when a Huey Helicopter spray my new $24k Chevy Van with Malathion as I was en route to Orlando from Tampa to take a State exam, the spots stained the grill and plastics could not get them off.
Carlos O

Carlos
I remember those days in the 80's. They were spraying malathion it seem like everyday....my poor cherry head loro bit the dust left it outside too long.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2015, 07:50:03 AM »
Are there any natural predators to this fly?

I sit on my countries Board of Ag and we recently had an in depth series of meetings with overseas visitors who had been afflicted by the pink mealy bug.  We did so because the commentary from various experts ranged from irreversible devastation to landscape and some crops (it can be hosted on over 400 plants also) vs. this is hardly noticed and with proper preparation becomes a non-event.

It was clear from the meeting that while the bug has potential to live on that range of plants it actually prefers a handful.  It also has a number of natural predators, the most effective of which are a type of wasp that is parasitoid. Thus in time, it becomes naturally controlled as the egg laying comes part and parcel with hosting parasitoid wasps that keep the pink mealy bug in check.  In stable locations, it is thus hardly noticed where parasitoids exist or are introduced.

This is a stark contrast to the shock and awe side of the story promote by some local authorities. I say all that to say, with at least some invasive plants and bugs, there are situations in their home base that keeps them in check.  Weather in this case also qualifies.  Worth considering.

And yes, Natural News has become known to sensationalize the facts, mixing them with hype such that the reader often had to search for and distinguish objective facts amidst unqualified opinions. 

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »
Are there any natural predators to this fly?

I sit on my countries Board of Ag and we recently had an in depth series of meetings with overseas visitors who had been afflicted by the pink mealy bug.  We did so because the commentary from various experts ranged from irreversible devastation to landscape and some crops (it can be hosted on over 400 plants also) vs. this is hardly noticed and with proper preparation becomes a non-event.

It was clear from the meeting that while the bug has potential to live on that range of plants it actually prefers a handful.  It also has a number of natural predators, the most effective of which are a type of wasp that is parasitoid. Thus in time, it becomes naturally controlled as the egg laying comes part and parcel with hosting parasitoid wasps that keep the pink mealy bug in check.  In stable locations, it is thus hardly noticed where parasitoids exist or are introduced.

This is a stark contrast to the shock and awe side of the story promote by some local authorities. I say all that to say, with at least some invasive plants and bugs, there are situations in their home base that keeps them in check.  Weather in this case also qualifies.  Worth considering.

And yes, Natural News has become known to sensationalize the facts, mixing them with hype such that the reader often had to search for and distinguish objective facts amidst unqualified opinions.

Some zones in Mexico have been declared fruit fly free.   so they CAN be controlled. 

I have been looking into this a lot,   since this year the D.R. had a block on exports to the US.  ( seems a packing house had them ).

The farmer can: 
1) remove all damaged fruit from trees. ( stung ) and destroy.
2) Not allow any fruit on the ground.
3) Use traps.

That is enough to control them on the plantation side.

problems I have seen,  are that some abandoned plantations or ones that do not apply these techniques.  keep the infestation going.   this I have witnessed here,  a plantation owner may do all these things, but a neighboring farm may not,  so they are in constant battle to control.

Besides beneficial insects you mentioned.    I believe beneficial nematodes, bacteria and fungi would help also.

part of the fruit flies life cycle is underground.  beneficial fungi bacteria and nematodes can control them at this point.

The good part of all these practices is they benefit the farmer in other ways.  controlling other pests.  not just fruit flies.

Bacteria
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/jul/08/bacteria-fruit-fly-nematode-parasite

Nematodes
http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/nematodes.html

One research paper on beneficial fungi for fruit fly.
http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/42/109/42109317.pdf

Again,  a grower can do all these things,  but if you have someone near that does not,  they will host the flies, and keep the cycle alive.   all the above seems complicated but it is not.

you only need a few traps,  the nematodes, bacteria, and fungi are just mixed with water, and sprayed.   most of the labor is in just keeping your trees and fields clean, of fallen / rotten fruit.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2015, 03:12:03 AM »
i thought you were talking about the "Redlands" in Texas actually
which made me real nervous (in New Orleans)
ive never seen a fruit fly.

I did find Asian psyllids in my satsuma and lemon trees a couple of months ago.
Asian psyllids are responsible for citrus greening disease.
they "sometimes" carry the virus. I have the Asian psyllids...
The Dept of Ag came out and took samples,
i am waiting to hear back to see if my trees have the virus.
The good thing is that I don't think they like the cold (psyllid), I had mild infestation of them and winter wiped them out, haven't seen any since.  I've heard others say the same thing.  Freezing weather is good for something.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 05:34:07 AM by Doglips »

Carl.D

• Australia, Brisbane, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2015, 03:28:09 AM »
Hopefully all traces of them will be wiped out, the sooner the better.
It's a pain in the ass the regular one's we have here in Queensland, but these are tame compared to this one.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2015, 04:24:55 PM »
This is the latest from the Government agencies. Seems like the aerial spray of spinosad of a few weeks ago has done the job,  plus all growers inside the quarantine applying bait with spinosad. No more fly

Good Afternoon,

Please find attached the Oriental Fruit Fly update for 11/9/2015:

Fly Count:
Daily Finds: 0       
Total count to date: 165
Date of first find: Aug. 26, 2015
Date of Last Find: 10/10/15, 30 Days of no Oriental Fruit Flies Found.
Estimated end date of quarantine: 02/23/2016  (based on temperature projections that affect OFF life cycles and provided there are no additional finds).

Did Quarantine Area Change?  No

Did Core Area Change? No

Are There Changes to the Pre-Harvest Option?  No

Oriental Fruit Fly Eradication Program Compliance Agreement sign-up OFF Homestead Extension Hours
18710 SW 288th St.
Homestead, FL 33030
305-248-3311
Regulatory Staff available at IFAS Extension, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 3 to 5 pm

Oriental Fruit Fly Eradication Program Information Booth (Weather Permitting) Tom Thumb Gas Station Krome Avenue and Eureka
7 days a week, from 10 am-2 pm

Division of Plant Industry Helpline
Contact us Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. EST
1-888-397-1517  (352) 395-4600 (Outside North America)
DPIHelpline@FreshFromFlorida.com

Thanks,
Cheryl
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2015, 07:52:25 PM »
This is good news, Carlos.
Jeff  :-)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »
I recently killed a male oriental fly in LA.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2016, 02:28:38 AM »
Well i too have serious issues with oriental fruit flies attacking sappodilla fruits.All mature sapodilla fruit in needs to be bagged >:( or else you gonna have fruits with rotten parts infested with maggots

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk