Author Topic: Osmocote plus - lacking calcium? (Potted mango)  (Read 894 times)

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
Osmocote plus - lacking calcium? (Potted mango)
« on: November 21, 2019, 08:01:42 AM »
Hey guys,
So we've been using Osmocote Plus for a while now on our container grown mango and other tropical fruits. I noticed there is no mention of it containing calcium, which I know is important. What's the best way to supplement calcium when fertilizing with Osmocote Plus?
Would something like Espoma garden gypsum work?
@ BSbullie, Cookie Monster, Guanabanas, Mark in Texas

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Osmocote plus - lacking calcium? (Potted mango)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 08:03:23 AM »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 08:11:31 AM »
My mangos get plenty of Ca with an occasional watering from the well which is super high in bicarbs of Ca and Mg.

Your bag is fine.  I top dress my mango beds with gypsum powder that I collected from the road along a local gypsum mine.  Trees are very healthy and green.

Having said that....if you don't have a Ca deficiency then don't worry about it.  I too feed with Osmocote Plus.

FWIW @tagging doesn't work in this forum.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:15:32 AM by Mark in Texas »

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 08:32:23 AM »
My mangos get plenty of Ca with an occasional watering from the well which is super high in bicarbs of Ca and Mg.

Your bag is fine.  I top dress my mango beds with gypsum powder that I collected from the road along a local gypsum mine.  Trees are very healthy and green.

Having said that....if you don't have a Ca deficiency then don't worry about it.  I too feed with Osmocote Plus.

FWIW @tagging doesn't work in this forum.

Thanks Mark. We grow in air pruning pots with Promix BRK20, Osmocote plus and top dress with bagged cypress mulch. Not sure if we have a Calcium deficiency, but I didn't want to wait till Ca deficiency issues arose to act on it. At the same time I don't want to go crazy adding things and create a problem either. Should I scratch in some gypsum or what do you think? If so, can you suggest an application rate.
I should mention the plants get city water if it hasn't rained in a while. We don't have a well.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:36:58 AM by dross99_si »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 02:25:20 PM »
I'm pretty half assed when it comes to plant food and gypsum tossing a handful or 2 of either or.  You'll just have to try it and then read your trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk