Author Topic: Pics from the garden  (Read 34805 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Pics from the garden
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »
Some updates from the garden:

Flowering jabo, still unsure what variety. My old landscaper has his own private nursery, sold me a large tree. In ground about 3 years now. 2nd time fruiting.

Glenn Mango in bloom

Lemon Drop Mangosteen

Achachairu? Not sure this is g. humilis, please chime in with opinions.

Seashore mangosteen

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 01:29:17 PM »
Yes, that is Achachairu. Great pics Rob and nice plants... thanks for sharing

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 01:29:29 PM »
Rollinia holding fruit. Just 2 survived Irma. Can't wait to try!

Jackfruit, grown from seed, tangy sweet farmers market variety. Going to graft onto it, little plant to left is from seeds that another forum member received from Fruitlover, me thinks. Cheena maybe?

Dark Star Dragon. Really has taken off since digging up and potting. Going to put a bicycle wheel on top and place in a heavier pot. Seems quite happy.

Yellow Dragon. Same as above, just not as happy yet.

R

American Beauty. Same again with the potting, although this one took a while to wake back up. Seems to be doing better.

Silas Woods sapo fruits. have only tasted one. Best sapo I've had, but only have tasted unknowns from farmers market.

Silas Woods tree. Topped as a forum member suggested. Cute little tree covered in small fruit

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 01:30:49 PM »
Yes, that is Achachairu. Great pics Rob and nice plants... thanks for sharing

Thanks! Good to know, I have wondered since getting it.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 08:03:05 PM »
G. aristata. Growing nicely for me. Like a bonsai

G. acuminata

Ponderosa Lemon. Tree produces non-stop, but damaged from holding fruit too young.

Time for lemonade

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »
Red Lady Papaya

Kapoho Solo Papaya: fav for eating green and marinated

Purple Caimito: still no flowers. going to graft on some other varieties soon

Nam Doc Mai 4: planning on grafting Maha Chanok to it this spring

Coco Cream

Kesar

Casturi sending out new growth. Planting in-ground soon. Found the perfect spot. Always room for one more

Sabara Jabo. No flowers yet.

Oro Negro Avo: think its time to prune out the lower branches

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 03:24:52 PM »
Looks awesome 8)

Your yard must have a really ideal micro climate.
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 04:38:08 PM »
Looks awesome 8)

Your yard must have a really ideal micro climate.

Thank you mucho! I water and irrigate a lot, maybe too much. The fence and high shrub wall insulates quite a bit from wind. Beyond that, our weather is usually nice for most tropicals and subtropicals. Only a few plants struggle here. Not sure the abiu is going to make it to fruiting, but everything else seems pretty happy.

Planning on building a pond this summer, which should add to our humidity and hopefully help during cold/hot/dry spells.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 08:52:25 PM »
Yes, I like to echo everyone too; beautiful photos, and healthy and varied choiced trees collection you have! You must have green thumbs! Congratulations!

Looking at your sapodilla, reminded me that I still think it's a good front yard tree: the elegant looks, easy maintenance, less prone to diseases and not too many people recognize it's brown but delicious fruits!   :D
Sam

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2018, 12:27:37 PM »
Thanks Sam, I love growing plants, and they tend to be forgiving with me for some reason.

Agree, sapodilla is a beautiful tree that usually is overlooked by fruit bandits. However, there are a few large trees down the street, and have seen a guy pulled over on the side of the road, and then later climbing the trees to nab fruit. Not as prolific as the mango bandits, but they are out there.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 12:40:01 PM »
Wanted to send out a big "Thank You!" to Brandon aka cbss_daviefl for hooking me up yesterday. Beautiful private backyard "nursery" with a ton of tropical fruit trees. Got a tour of the grounds and learned a bit. Well worth the drive.

Picked up this beautiful red hybrid jabo.

Already flowering and fruiting

Jabo sprouts. Are these separate plants or are they part of the mother plant?

Also picked up a few Maha Chanok scions, added to nam doc mai 4. Think I overdid it with the buddy tape, lol.

Also acquired some dream atemoya scions, added to Gefner last night. And my friend got a beautiful angie mango to replace the one that Irma took out.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »
I was great to meet the two of you!

The sprouts are part of the mother plant. I have never seen these branches grow much bigger than 6 - 8 inches. I have seen them flower rarely. I don't remember if they fruited or not. My guess is that it would be better to trim them off if they will never get sun.

Jabo sprouts. Are these separate plants or are they part of the mother plant?

Brandon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 01:38:41 PM »
Thanks Brandon, we had a good time. Friend's angie is already in-ground, and all grafts complete.

Think oro negro is finally blooming. Can anyone confirm these are avocado flowers?

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 02:18:02 AM »
10-4 good buddy. That's affirmative on avocado flowers. Chris
-Chris

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 07:45:33 AM »
10-4 good buddy. That's affirmative on avocado flowers. Chris

Woohoo! Thank you Chris. Very good news indeed. Have yet to try ON, but have heard good things about it when grown in this area.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 10:23:56 AM »
Hello everybody.

I could use some help identifying these 2 small trees. One should be black sapote, the other purple caimito grown from a seed from PIN. The marker on one of the tags is unreadable, and the other one disappeared in all the mayhem and confusion associated with hurricane Irma. Thought looking on the bottom of the leaves would clarify, but they look so similar. I am left uncertain. Please share your impressions.

I think the one on left, with larger leaves, is the black sapote, and the one on the right is caimito.

Underside of larger leaf specimen

Underside of smaller leaf specimen

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 05:11:32 PM »
I would say those are both caimito. Black sapote leaves are waxy and the bottoms are a lighter shade of green than the dark green tops. The leaves are generally flat and caimito's have ribbing.  Caimito leaf bottoms have distinctly different coloring from the tops. The new growth on the larger specimen also looks like caimito. I am not the best at recognizing foliage though.
Brandon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2018, 11:43:58 PM »
I would say those are both caimito. Black sapote leaves are waxy and the bottoms are a lighter shade of green than the dark green tops. The leaves are generally flat and caimito's have ribbing.  Caimito leaf bottoms have distinctly different coloring from the tops. The new growth on the larger specimen also looks like caimito. I am not the best at recognizing foliage though.

Thanks for your appraisal.

So you think they're both caimito? Its certainly possible, but they have to be different cultivars. I was thrown off when realized they both looked bronze on the underside of the leaves. The smaller one is more pronounced bronze to me.

Both trees were neglected for quite a while, needed repotting, a bit dry, with some scale on the leaves. Think they will bounce back nicely with new pots and a lil care.

Anything else anyone can think of that looks a lot like caimito?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:47:36 PM by roblack »

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 01:59:49 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Not sure which variety(ies) of chrysophyllum they are but the morphology is pointing in that direction. I guess we will find out soon. Good luck- Chris
-Chris

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Not sure which variety(ies) of chrysophyllum they are but the morphology is pointing in that direction. I guess we will find out soon. Good luck- Chris

Okay, thanks! That makes sense, never thought that black sapote and caimito were that similar before, so was surprised to find myself uncertain as to which was which. Going to do some grafting on these puppies and the much larger in-ground tree that is growing well but has yet to flower. Thinking DPI Gold and Juicy Pearl.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2018, 08:12:42 PM »
Macadamia (beaumont) just started flowering, woohoo!

Some big ants on them. Any chance they are pollinators or should I blast em with the hose?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2018, 06:28:06 AM »
I think the ants are farming those smaller black bugs, aphids. Hose them off.
Brandon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »
Dang, you are correct Brandon. They were more obvious in the morning sun. Hosed away the ants and aphids, rinse, and repeat. Had to be careful to find the right setting and pressure that gets the bugs but doesn't damage the flowers.

This tree has been largely just left on its own. Gets some of the well fed sprinkler, occasional watering from me, and has been fertilized maybe once in 2 years.  Kind of surprised it is flowering.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2018, 01:29:00 PM »
Dream annona graft appears to be taking (on gefner), pushing some growth. A few of the scions are looking similarly.

How do you know when possum purple is ready? with panama red, as soon as the green fruit started showing some red, they were good to eat. These are purple from the time they set fruit, so not sure what kind of change I should be looking for. Do I have to wait till they start to shrivel?

Lil Glenns

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »

How do you know when possum purple is ready? with panama red, as soon as the green fruit started showing some red, they were good to eat. These are purple from the time they set fruit, so not sure what kind of change I should be looking for. Do I have to wait till they start to shrivel?

I wait for fruit drop