Author Topic: gibberellic acid for annona seeds  (Read 12462 times)

edself65

gibberellic acid for annona seeds
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:31:08 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has the PPM calculator from Super Grows website or another calculator? I have the .12 grams spoon and the GA3 20.

Thanks,

Ed

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: gibberellic acid for annona seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:55:16 PM »

The site has some tables that you can use. Check the one below...
http://www.super-grow.com/GA3Powder20.jsp#mixing120
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

edself65

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »
Thanks for the link! When I checked yesterday the site was down! It looks like it is working today!

Thanks,

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:05:25 PM »
Thanks for the link! When I checked yesterday the site was down! It looks like it is working today!

Thanks,

Ed

Ed, I never treat my seeds with anything, I always just plant them as I got them....u seem to sprout yours better than me!!! I need to learn from you oh wise and unselfish one...

How the hell do you sprout stuff so good! Hydrogen peroxide...i gotta start trying that...I swish my schmagglies with it, but its better than just a mouthwash , and antiseptic I guess!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 05:07:25 PM »
Adam I'm still learning! I just want to see if I can make those Ilama seeds sprout faster with the gibberellic acid soak!

Ed

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
Adam I'm still learning! I just want to see if I can make those Ilama seeds sprout faster with the gibberellic acid soak!

Ed

If you don't use GA3 on the ilama seeds it's very difficult to get them to sprout. BTW, i think 900 PPM would be better than the 500PPM suggested on the seed packet.
Oscar
Oscar

edself65

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »
Ok thanks Oscar! I will try it a couple different strengths to see which one works best!

Thanks,

Ed

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »
Ok thanks Oscar! I will try it a couple different strengths to see which one works best!

Thanks,

Ed

There was an experiment on exactly this in a very old issue of CRFG Fruit Gardener magazine, trying to sprout ilama at different concentrations of gibberelic. If anyone can dig that up it would be great. As my failing memory recalls 900 PPM got the best germination rate, but i could be off.
Oscar
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 08:30:17 PM »

Ed

If you don't use GA3 on the ilama seeds it's very difficult to get them to sprout. BTW, i think 900 PPM would be better than the 500PPM suggested on the seed packet.
Oscar

Had about 100 percent germination so far for illama seeds with no treatment...
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:34:09 PM »

Ed

Oscar

Had about 100 percent germination so far for illama seeds with no treatment...

Great to hear. Are those from the seeds i just sent you? Did you use any pretreatment, soaking, scarring?
Oscar
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 03:24:01 AM »
Oscar - are we talking 900 PPM for 24 hours? Got Annona diversifolia seeds from Luc, and managed to get hold of 2g 90% Gibberellic Acid (but no way of measuring, so it will have to be estimated).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:35:23 AM by Jegindo »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »
I certainly wouldn't go higher than 900, as that already sounds high to me.  To the best of my, admittedly vague, recollection, we tried 1,000ppm and 2,000ppm--- lower germination rate and seriously elongated, week distorted seedlings, which generally did not survive.  The original published rate that we tried was 350ppm.  That did work as did a little higher, probably 500-600ppm.
Har

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »
24hours @ 350ppm has worked phenomenally well for me; germination rates in the 90% range.

I certainly wouldn't go higher than 900, as that already sounds high to me.  To the best of my, admittedly vague, recollection, we tried 1,000ppm and 2,000ppm--- lower germination rate and seriously elongated, week distorted seedlings, which generally did not survive.  The original published rate that we tried was 350ppm.  That did work as did a little higher, probably 500-600ppm.
Jeff  :-)

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 03:21:53 AM »
I used 450 ppm for 24 hours on the Annona diversifolia seeds some weeks back, and now the first have started to germinate. In addition, I just received a bunch of rare annonaceae seeds of which several of them are dormant for an extended period of time; anyone have experience with these?
My plan is to use GA3 on 50% of the seeds from each species, and peroxide on the other 50% (3% for 20 minutes, 1.5% for 24 hours). Some of them have small seeds - any suggestions to use a lower concentration on these? 

Annona sylvatica
Annona cornifolia
Annona rugulosa
Annona Neoinsgnis
Annona Cacans
Annona leptopetala
Annona crassifolia
Melodorum leichhardii
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 04:38:30 AM »
I used 450 ppm for 24 hours on the Annona diversifolia seeds some weeks back, and now the first have started to germinate. In addition, I just received a bunch of rare annonaceae seeds of which several of them are dormant for an extended period of time; anyone have experience with these?
My plan is to use GA3 on 50% of the seeds from each species, and peroxide on the other 50% (3% for 20 minutes, 1.5% for 24 hours). Some of them have small seeds - any suggestions to use a lower concentration on these? 

Annona sylvatica
Annona cornifolia
Annona rugulosa
Annona Neoinsgnis
Annona Cacans
Annona leptopetala
Annona crassifolia
Melodorum leichhardii

Is there any evidence that peroxide helps?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 04:58:44 AM »
Wow Soren you are a real annonaceae enthusiast.Local M.leichhardtii and M.uhri are whopping rainforest vines that are also butterfly food plants.I have never even heard of the aboriginal people consuming the fruit.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 05:28:32 AM »
Mike - many annonaecea seeds show orthodox storage behaviour, and mail-transit time is my second biggest problem (first being theft at the mail office). On top of that, I love the complex appearance of flowers and fruits. Any germination tips for Melodorum leichhardii?

Oscar - I got it from Ed Self (originally from an old CRFG journal). He got Annona cornifolia to sprout using this treatment - of course it could have sprouted without (naturally), but according to Helton "seeds are dormant and take 100 days to 18 months to germinate", so I believe the treatment has an effect on breaking the dormancy. Have you any experience with peroxide, or using GA3 on other annona spp. seeds?
Can add I am in a bit of a grey zone using chemicals - it is very new to me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:45:43 AM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 05:45:46 AM »
I can't help much Soren but they are bird dispersed and not really planted here due to their vigour in spite of several nice papilionid butterflies having their caterpillars on it.The vines are in rainforest and vine thickets in places that get 1200mm/yr to over 5000mm/yr so they like water and I would not expect long seed viability from wet tropics forms of it.In some vine thickets in drier places it is a more gracile vine and may have longer seed viability.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 05:55:31 AM »
My M. Leichhardtii is in fruit now at under 1 foot. Fruits are small, round and black though, so I have no idea whats going on.  Maybe I'll just chalk it down to a first year fruiting anomaly. it wants to be a bush here rather than a rampant vine as up near Cairns. They dont need any treatment here. i've not had much luck with Uvaria and Pseuduvaria though, so may have to try GA3 treatments.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 06:08:29 AM »
P.frogatti or mulgraveana BMc? Uvaria...for the triangles? Zig zag vines have red pods like lumpy beans if memory serves me right.Aren't you supposed to be potting and cranking up ICU? They'll last a bit longer.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Growing Rare Fruit From Seed
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
If you can't find gib acid try this method in my video, here is a link to the thread with the video

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=13824.0
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SH

• South Korea
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 12:55:40 PM »

The site has some tables that you can use. Check the one below...
http://www.super-grow.com/GA3Powder20.jsp#mixing120

The link doesn't works!

SH

• South Korea
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »
How can I prepare the gibberellin solution with correct concentration? Moreover, how long are the seeds supposed to be soaked?

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
    This question is directed more to Adam since he's so skilled at growing anonnas in pots, is it possible to grow and fruit Ilama in pots ? If so what size pot would you recommend ? I'm afraid my only chance would be to do it this way and in the greenhouse.

William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk