Author Topic: Leaffooted Bug Problems - best method of control?  (Read 1743 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Leaffooted Bug Problems - best method of control?
« on: August 03, 2013, 08:13:53 PM »
A huge amount of Leaffooted bugs have recently discovered my Barbados Cherry tree, and have gathered in clusters on each fruit.  Some of the bugs have also found their way to my Miracle Fruit. 

Two questions:

1.  Will neem oil or organic insect soap, applied regularly (every week or two) control them?  I'd like to avoid systemics.

2.  If my yard has these leaffooted bugs present, does that mean I'm likely to see similar infestations on my other trees too? (lychee, longan, jujube, jaboticaba, white sapote, avocado, persimmons, sapodilla, lemon, coconut, tomatoes?)

Thanks!

Brad
Brad

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Leaffooted Bug Problems - best method of control?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:40:40 AM »
They're one of the toughest bugs around.  I find that they often occur along with stink bug infestations. Fortunately they're big.  For minor infestations I catch and kill them by hand. Some kinds are spooky though and fly off.

Neem and insect soap will NOT work on these guys.  The only thing I know of that actually works on them and stink bugs is Sevin dust.

In my yard, they seem to prefer certain pants over others, so I dont think thes any guarantee that they'll be showing up on other plants, but I'd keep my eyes peeled.

Good luck. I hate these bastards.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:42:11 AM by Slopfog »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »
They're one of the toughest bugs around.  I find that they often occur along with stink bug infestations. Fortunately they're big.  For minor infestations I catch and kill them by hand. Some kinds are spooky though and fly off.

Neem and insect soap will NOT work on these guys.  The only thing I know of that actually works on them and stink bugs is Sevin dust.

In my yard, they seem to prefer certain pants over others, so I dont think thes any guarantee that they'll be showing up on other plants, but I'd keep my eyes peeled.

Good luck. I hate these bastards.

They have been eating my mamey and banana leaves. I've seen them on my passion fruit leaves.  :(
Alexi

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
I hit them with liquid Sevin, usually at sundown because Sevin breaks down in sunlight pretty darn quick. 30 minutes or so.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
After using Sevin, how long before another application is needed?

Brad
Brad

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk