Author Topic: Productivity difference between one or two trees in the same spot?  (Read 1753 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Productivity difference between one or two trees in the same spot?
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »
I have a small spot in my yard where I can either plant one Jackfruit Tree and let it go 15 feet wide and 12 feet tall, Or instead I can plant to Jackfruit Trees and let each of them go to feet wide and also 12 feet tall.

In which scenario do you think I will get more fruit?

Thanks

Brad
Brad

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Productivity difference between one or two trees in the same spot?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:04:16 AM »
I have a small spot in my yard where I can either plant one Jackfruit Tree and let it go 15 feet wide and 12 feet tall, Or instead I can plant to Jackfruit Trees and let each of them go to feet wide and also 12 feet tall.

Probably not much difference, but one tree has the advantage of being balanced.  Even 12 foot tall and 15 foot wide is small for a mature jackfruit tree, and one tree avoids the problem of one tree dominating the other.

If planting two trees in one spot were an advantage, we would see it as a routine practice for most commercial fruit producers.  We do not.  Apples were once planted at 7-8 meter spacing and it was only the availability of dwarfing rootstocks such as the M9 and M26 that allowed increased production at closer spacing. 
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 08:29:47 AM »
What I'm seeing online suggests 10m (33 feet) for seedlings and 8m (26 feet) for grafted trees.  So that strongly sounds like it'd be best to go with just one tree unless it's a particularly small dwarf.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:45:03 AM »
Brad, we have a commercial example of the success of planting jackfruit trees close together, U-Pik Jackfruit.  Look at that thread http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5715.0.  Katie took pictures so you can see for yourself.

Personally, I would prefer to have two varieties for the different tastes and maybe increasing the fruiting time window. Less is more, for me, if the difference in taste is significant enough.
Brandon

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:43:58 AM »

Thanks

Brad

Two*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk