Author Topic: Orange tree never fruits  (Read 1943 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Orange tree never fruits
« on: December 23, 2016, 07:45:43 PM »
Ive got a bunch of citrus trees, they all look good and make fruit except one.  Its a naval orange tree that is big and healthy but no fruits.  I dont think it flowered at all this year.  Its 8 or 10ft tall.  Im the second owner of this tree so I dont know if it ever made oranges.  Is there a teick to make it fruit?  Put a nail in the trunk?  Chemicals?
Brad Spaugh

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Orange tree never fruits
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 09:46:05 PM »
All citrus trees produce buds.  Depending on the climate and other criteria, buds will either turn into floral buds, producing flowers, or remain foliage buds producing leaves.  Various stress situations such as enough cool temperatures or drought can differentiate a foliage bud into becoming a floral bud.   Therefore, if your area does not get enough cool weather (650+ hours  <65-F during the fall and winter) to differentiate the buds into flower buds, you can stress the buds by withholding all moisture from the tree until you notice a wilt of the leaves, then water thoroughly.  In the tropics where the weather never gets cool enough to induce the tree's buds to differentiate into floral buds, it is the dry season that accomplishes the bud change.   I take it you fertilize these trees 3 times during the growing season each year.   
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 09:50:31 PM by Millet »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »
The tree was planted by a previous homeowner and had been neglected for many years of not enough water and care.  Ive nursed all the sick trees back but this one doesnt bloom.  Its getting fertilizer and irrigation now.  I may give it another year and then take it out if it doesnt bloom.  Ita been 3 years of good care.  Not sure about chill hours here.  Its been quite warm.  Its 87F here today !!
Brad Spaugh

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 09:24:04 PM »
Never had a citrus that didnt flower..  Grafted tree I assume.  Break a leaf open- if it doesnt smell like the rest of your citrus its probably not.  Could be immature rootstock. Thorny? in full shade?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:26:18 PM by LaCasaVerde »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 01:25:36 AM »
Giant thorns.  Full blazing sun on hillside.  Has about 10 trunks.  Original owner may have let the rootstock take over.  I think it was labeled as valencia orange not naval orange.
Brad Spaugh

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 02:27:46 AM »
Giant thorns, 10 trunks...  sounds like a cluster of rootstock suckers to me.

I'd cut away all but one trunk (preferably a dominating upright trunk), and add a (or some) varieties you want and like.  Can easily convert it into the fruiting valencia it is supposed to be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk