Author Topic: Latest addition of mango varieties for my garden  (Read 7032 times)

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
Latest addition of mango varieties for my garden
« on: February 19, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
So I would like to give a major thank you & shoutout to the forum member who went out of their way to help me obtain these new cultivars for my garden!!  ;D (Shall remain anonymous out of respect for the individual) Again just very much appreciative for what you did & now very excited to also share here in the forum!!

Florigon

K-3=Kathy

Venus (already flowering!!!)

Phoenix

Sergio

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Latest addition of mango varieties for my garden
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:31:10 PM »
I just got edgar ,pina colada and pineapple pleasure this week.
Quentin

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 04:35:07 PM »

That's awesome!! Which are you looking forward to most & why? I've been reading really good things about Edgar.
Sergio

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »
I think edgar is the most hyped I've read about. So I would say edgar.
I have bought this year
Kathy
Haden *
Sunrise
Venus
Orange Essence
Mahachanok *
Cotton Candy
Baileys Marvel *
Honey Kiss
Sweet Tart
Lemon Zest *
Coconut Cream
Edgar
Pina Colada
Pineapple Pleasure

I've only eaten the ones with a asterisk.

Quentin

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 06:00:08 PM »
Edgar is yhe most hyped?  How so?  Its a heavy producer but not in top tier tastewise, IMO
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »
Edgar is yhe most hyped?  How so?  Its a heavy producer but not in top tier tastewise, IMO

Would you say its better than any of the commercial varieties being grown?,  ( Kiett, Kent,  Ataulfo )  wont even mention TA.  I really look forward to trying it myself.
I will be in Florida late May , I know that might be too early, but hopefully something will be available.  I have not tried any of the new Zill varieties.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:12:51 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »

Right. After going back and searching it seems I got it confused with edward. So maybe not the most hyped but I'm still looking forward to trying it.
Quentin

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 08:45:24 PM »
I think edgar is the most hyped I've read about. So I would say edgar.
I have bought this year
Kathy
Haden *
Sunrise
Venus
Orange Essence
Mahachanok *
Cotton Candy
Baileys Marvel *
Honey Kiss
Sweet Tart
Lemon Zest *
Coconut Cream
Edgar
Pina Colada
Pineapple Pleasure

I've only eaten the ones with a asterisk.

That's quite an awesome collection!! I've been looking forward to tasting all those (and more this season lol) Haden is the only one I've already tasted out of that list. Which do you look forward to most out of the ones you haves tasted??
Sergio

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »
Yes. Taste is very good, but not in the lemon zest / sweet tart class.

Would you say its better than any of the commercial varieties being grown?,  ( Kiett, Kent,  Ataulfo )  wont even mention TA.  I really look forward to trying it myself.
I will be in Florida late May , I know that might be too early, but hopefully something will be available.  I have not tried any of the new Zill varieties.
Jeff  :-)

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »
I love Hadens. Some people complain that it has too much fiber, but I don't find it off putting. I know hadens can have problems with black spots and jelly seed. Baileys Marvel is offspring of Haden and is Much better imo. I really like the marvel. I had lemon zest the last two years and they were relly good, I just don't think they are quite as good as marvel. Mahachanok was also really good and its hard for me to compare as I didnt eat them side by side.

I think at some point good mango's are just good mango's. Maybe I'm just not so picky.

What I don't like is the abuse and mishandling is see a lot of people do while handling mangos. Like dumping them out of baskets into something else.
I can't stand a bruised mango and I'm not a fan of picking green mangos they just are not the same. But many people that sell mangos do this.

I prefer picking them 0-2 days before I think they might fall off the tree. Thats the way I like them. Thats why growing them yourself is best.
Quentin

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »

Yes, definitely better than the current commercial varieties.   

Dont get me wrong. Its not bad by any means.  Just a notch down from the elite.
- Rob

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 10:57:26 PM »
I love Hadens. Some people complain that it has too much fiber, but I don't find it off putting. I know hadens can have problems with black spots and jelly seed. Baileys Marvel is offspring of Haden and is Much better imo. I really like the marvel. I had lemon zest the last two years and they were relly good, I just don't think they are quite as good as marvel. Mahachanok was also really good and its hard for me to compare as I didnt eat them side by side.

I think at some point good mango's are just good mango's. Maybe I'm just not so picky.

What I don't like is the abuse and mishandling is see a lot of people do while handling mangos. Like dumping them out of baskets into something else.
I can't stand a bruised mango and I'm not a fan of picking green mangos they just are not the same. But many people that sell mangos do this.

I prefer picking them 0-2 days before I think they might fall off the tree. Thats the way I like them. Thats why growing them yourself is best.

I know how you feel! I enjoy Hadens flavor as well as Rosa which also tends 2 be fibrous but had some exceptional Hadens & Rosas (& some others) last year. I chose not to get Haden because of anthracnose & jelly seed. I have to try BaileysMarvel again as the one I had was a little tart & offputting for me but not as much as the Cushman I had. Mahachanok was recommended to me recently.
&  also the thought of bruised & green mangos personally sounds like the start of a nightmare!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:42:53 AM by 561MangoFanatic »
Sergio

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 11:03:07 PM »

Yes, definitely better than the current commercial varieties.   

Dont get me wrong. Its not bad by any means.  Just a notch down from the elite.

Definitely good to know as a newer grower & new to the cultivars  :D
Sergio

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 08:45:12 AM »

Will be grafting Pineapple Pleasure and Fruit Punch scions to a Mallika stubbed tree this morn. Plenty of info on FP but I come up with nothing when I search for Pineapple Pleasure.  How's the fruit, tree size, etc.?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 09:18:36 AM »

Will be grafting Pineapple Pleasure and Fruit Punch scions to a Mallika stubbed tree this morn. Plenty of info on FP but I come up with nothing when I search for Pineapple Pleasure.  How's the fruit, tree size, etc.?

Pineapple Pleasure is a seedling of Springfels (a prerty vigorous tree).  It is on the higher end of the vigor scale, with a full spreading canopy.  Fruit size is large, in the 1.5 -2 pound average.  Quality has that wow factor.  It has one heck of a zing.  Amazing true pineapple taste, very sweet but with that unmistakable pineapple acidity.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »

Kind of a weird tree. These mangos with 'Gary' as the paternal parent seem to be wildcards. Less-than-stellar disease resistance and tends to abscise a lot of fruit, even past the normal golf-ball size when most trees stop. Really ugly fruit too but the eating quality is definitely elite. I can remember getting a brix reading of 23 or 24 off one a couple seasons ago. Totally different flavor profile from Mallika and Fruit Punch. Some people have told me it's a little "too much" actually but I love it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:39:36 PM by Squam256 »

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 04:32:15 PM »
I was able to find when the fruit of Florigon ripen (late May-July), can anyone help me with the months on some others please? Kathy, Venus, Phoenix, ST Maui, Rosa, & Best?
Sergio

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 05:27:10 PM »
I was able to find when the fruit of Florigon ripen (late May-July), can anyone help me with the months on some others please? Kathy, Venus, Phoenix, ST Maui, Rosa, & Best?

In Loxahatchee, where mangos tend to mature later:

Kathy: July - August
Venus: August-September
Phoenix: July-August
ST Maui: July
Rosa: June-July
Best: not sure

Rosa will produce March/April crops close to the coast but those are less likely in Lox.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »

Rosa will produce March/April crops close to the coast but those are less likely in Lox.

Thank you! What about if I have them in PBG? (I'm about 4.5 miles inland).  & hopefully Har sees the thread & can let me know on Best!  ???

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:54:17 PM by 561MangoFanatic »
Sergio

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »

Thank you! What about if I have them in PBG? (I'm about 4.5 miles inland).  & hopefully Har sees the thread & can let me know on Best!  ???

Then they might start maturing their fruit a few weeks earlier and you might get an early crop out of the Rosa.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »
Thank you for all the help!

Here's all of them after transplanting from 3 to 7 gal & also 2 that I had in fabric pots into regular pots.

Sergio