Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620729 times)

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1600 on: September 12, 2020, 11:57:20 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Joe here from Huntington Beach, CA.  I have been collecting palm trees from all over the world for the past 12 years.  As the palms are maturing and getting taller, I wanted to plant tropical fruit trees under them to give different textures and of course, enjoy the fruits.  At the moment, I am interested in understory fruit trees that do not need full sun.  Any recommendations are welcomed.

HI_Chris

• USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: September 23, 2020, 10:57:30 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've spent quite some time reading lots of very useful information here -- thanks so very much! -- and now thought I'd say hi.

Two years ago we moved to East Hawaii (550' elevation, 160" rainfall but excellent drainage) and have begun the slow process of reclaiming from the jungle some land that used to be a flower farm.  We are fortunate to have mature avocado trees scattered around the property (producing 8 months out of the year), but we are just starting with the fruit trees.  It seems whenever I fill an area with trees, I find even more that I 'need' to plant.

I'll be asking some questions on other threads, later on.

Chris

BenG

• Menlo Park, California (Zone 9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: October 05, 2020, 12:10:52 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm Ben. I'm a high schooler who loves fruit, and I live in Menlo Park, CA, which is on the border of zones 9b and 10a. I'm growing several Citrus trees, plus a passionfruit vine.

kicksavedave

• Fallbrook, CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: October 09, 2020, 11:58:47 PM »
Hi all,

Dave here in Fallbrook CA, Zone 10a but really hotter than that (grove faces south on a slight slope, it just gets really hot in the summer, and occasionally barely below freezing for one or two days a year.   I've been in this property for 3 full years now and it had about 20 sickly dry citrus and peach trees when 'i moved in.  It had sprinklers in ground, not being used.  I fixed that promptly and got things healthy and started planting more fruit trees and now it looks pretty good.  Here's the rundown:

4 Valencia Orange
4 Navel Orange
2 Midknight Valencia
2 Minneola Tangelo
1 Cara Cara
3 Bears Lime
1 Key Lime
2 Eureka Lemon
1 Meyer Lemon
1 Oroblanco GF
1 Rio Red GF
1 Star Ruby GF
12 Mandarins, (3 Kishu, 2 Golden Nugget, 1ea Algerian, Satsuma, Tango, Pixie, USDA 88-2, Shasta Gold, Murcott Honey)
10 Olive trees, (2 Arbequina, 2 Frantoio, 1ea Lucca, Mission, Koroneiki, Santa Catarina, Pendolino, Maurino)
8 Avocado trees (1ea Hass, Fuerte, Reed, Lamb, Gwen, Pinkerton, 2 GEM)
1 large Macadamia Nut
3 Peach trees (Mid Pride and two unknowns)
1 Spice Zee Nectaplum (thanks Floyd Zaiger)
5 Pluots (Flavor Supreme, Splash, Dapple Dandy, Flavor King, Flavor Grenade)
1 Santa Rosa Plum
1 Apricot (unknown)
1 Pomegranate (unknown)
1 Cherry (Stella)
1 Fuyu Persimmon
6 Blueberry bushes
1 Loquat that I tried to kill but it refused to die so I'll let it live for another year.

Notably absent, any Mangos, Guava or Kiwi, which is why I am here, hoping to get some tropical going but mainly Mangos.  Thanks for having me:)

/Dave

Calreef18

• Escondido CA USA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: October 15, 2020, 10:13:26 AM »
Hi everyone! New member here excited to learn and exchange some cool plants. Thanks!

dutch tropical grower

• netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: October 28, 2020, 05:09:03 AM »
hi i'm kevin
I grow tropical plants from seed for fruit in holland, so in a cold climate.
I have a scarlet jaboticaba, finger lime, baobab, mango, avocado, loqaut, sugar apple, cherimoya and suriname cherry.
i have grown/growing it all from seed.

gho2020

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: October 28, 2020, 11:39:22 AM »
I am beginner who is trying to plant Longan tree in San Jose, CA.
I will have questions that i have the experts here can chime in to help guide this newbie :)

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: November 05, 2020, 01:41:24 AM »
Hello all,

Happy to finally join the forum. I am in San Diego and enjoy fruit trees and succulents! I'm currently in planting frenzy mode as we moved into a new home last year.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: November 06, 2020, 07:55:50 PM »
Hi All!
I am Ana from Central Florida, a long time gardener.
I have many trees, I love sugar apple and soursop, but only recently discovered how many annonas are out there and  my search took me to the forum!
I love reading your posts and learning a lot!
Thank you all for the great forum you have!

Ana

Pt1000

• Usa, Ca, Pasadena
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: November 10, 2020, 03:43:34 PM »
Hello everyone,
I’m peter from pasadena, new to tropical plant growing, I’m here to get good information and learn. Thanks

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: November 21, 2020, 12:37:00 PM »
Hello tropical fruit enthusiasts,
my name is Frank and I live in zone 7 in
southern Germany. After growing cactus as pupil,
my first holiday in southern France in the mediteranean coast, for windsurfing, led me to get enthusiastic with Citrus and figues.
And the last about 30 years i tried to cultivate
a lot of sub tropical plants in my garden, not always but often successfull .
This year after buying a potted Satsuma and a Pomelo
I got still more citrus enthusiastic and tried to get a great range of cold hardy citrus and planted them in my garden.
Quite a while I already visited this interesting forum and
now I decided to join.
I find it really huge and with a lot of god and interesting, helping posts - congratulation.
Best regards Frank
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 12:40:38 PM by tedburn »

SMcMillan

• Nipomo, CA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: November 25, 2020, 09:09:56 PM »
Hello everyone!  My name is Seth and live in Nipomo, CA Zone 9b.  I've been a gardener for some time but I caught the fruit bug real bad a few years ago when my wife joined the California Rare Fruit Growers on my behalf.  Now I just can't seem to find the cure so I am working on treating my illness by growing more trees and sharing them with others.  We have an acre of land I've been working the last 6 years and recently finished a greenhouse and nursery area to further my addiction.  I have been inspired by the diverse range of backgrounds and personalities that find this hobby or profession rewarding!  I am new to the forum and hope to learn and share with all of you.  Thanks for having me!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: November 26, 2020, 11:25:49 PM »
Hi everyone,
I love just about anything that has to do with the outdoors, especially agriculture. I grew up in central Florida and got interested in tropical fruits about the time I became a teenager. Mango, passionfruit, and lychee were some of the first fruits that I got to taste and are still some of my favorites. I probably know the most about lychees, because that is the majority of what we grow. However, I am wiling to learn about anything.

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: November 30, 2020, 03:21:06 PM »
I just moved to the Florida panhandle last year and became interested in what I can grow.  I love reading the posts on this forum. I've learned so much in a short amount of time. I decided to create an account to participate in all the fun.  :)

elwoudi

• Turkey / Aydin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: December 22, 2020, 06:24:30 AM »
Hello everyone,
i am Tugrul. i'm from Turkey. Unfortınately i don't have any land to grow something. i have a few squaremeters balcony covered with glass. So i try to grow something in pots. Now i have 1 fortunella and 3 pcs dragon fruit. i am here to find some information about dragon fruit. i will upoload a picture of my balcony. thanks

Terranova

• Colombia and amazon forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: December 24, 2020, 02:58:18 PM »
Hello.
I'm Maria. I'm from Colombia and sometime stay in Venezuela at amazon forest.
I grow mainly rare fruits.

dom89

• Trinidad and Tobago
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: December 26, 2020, 02:57:48 PM »
Hey everyone, now getting a chance to post. I'm Dominic From Trinidad and Tobago.
I collect and grow tropical exotics along with some temperate stuff with moderate success on an 18 acre parcel.
I learnt a lot here over a year, so I decided to join the community.

Jane45

• Dallas
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: December 30, 2020, 04:41:17 AM »
Hey Everyone!
Great forum! I am a beginner in this field with a rather small collection, mostly I am based on mangoes. I am looking forward to share with you my experience, and to find out more from your cases and knowledge.

Ivy

• CA zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 24, 2021, 03:42:24 AM »
Hi everyone. I am in Zone 10a . I am an urban gardner. I have most of my fruit trees  in the ground for 2-5 years .  My yard is small, but gardening is addictive - you plant one tree you want another one. When you don't have any more space you start grafting. I would like to learn more about tropical trees.
I have: a few citrus trees, 2 Avocado trees, 2 Peach trees ,Salad tree:Santa Rosa Plum, Apricot and nectarine, Pomegranate ,Fuyu Persimmon
Mango, Guava , cherymoya, 2 apple trees, Asian pear, dragon fruit, 2 passion fruit vines, 3 grape vines, papaya, 2 banana ,2 fig trees.
I am happy to be a part of this forum.

danfoodforest

• Florida Zone9b
    • View Profile
    • Dan Permaculture Food Forest
« Reply #1619 on: January 26, 2021, 06:10:37 PM »
Hey everyone .. I'm Danny, located in Florida Zone9b
currently, growing about 50-60 tropical fruit trees using the  permaculture methods .. Here to learn and grow

danfoodforest

• Florida Zone9b
    • View Profile
    • Dan Permaculture Food Forest
« Reply #1620 on: January 26, 2021, 06:18:30 PM »
Hey Everyone ... Located in Florida zone9b  , growing about 40-60 tropical fruit trees using permaculture methods
Great being ...

CoraMadelyn

• United state
    • View Profile
    • cannafacturer
« Reply #1621 on: February 02, 2021, 01:52:24 AM »
I'm Madelyn. I have just started a gardening of various deciduous fruit tree varieties. They make a free environment

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: February 09, 2021, 08:29:33 PM »
I’m a kid in the San Francisco Bay Area and I grow subtropical a and try to grow tropicals. Look on my profile to know my edibles but none are fruiting or flowering yet...I love annonas
Cheers!

pop_kun

• Hayward, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: February 10, 2021, 03:36:36 PM »
Hi hi all,

Relatively new to growing subtropical/tropical plants but have quite a collection going in a short time here in 10a. My husband likes to remind me how close we are to 100 trees. I remind him how tropical gardening has helped me quit smoking (as of April last year) so this can hardly be a bad thing :D

Really obsessed with anything in the Myrtaceae family at the moment, especially Jaboticaba and Eugenias.

Really happy to have found this forum!

Santa Maria 9b

• Santa Maria, CA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: February 11, 2021, 10:41:03 PM »
Central Coast of California zone 9b
Soil: Sand

In ground/soon to be:
Guava/pseudo-guava x10, avocado x6, cheromoya x2, Surinam Cherry x2, lucuma, Manila mango, vernon white sapote, finger lime, fig x8, macadamia, persimmon, blueberry, kiwi, coffee Arabica, wine grapes, various banana, various citrus, and various stone fruit.

Greenhouse:
Kwai muk, jabo x4, achacha, g. Madrono, g. Braziliansis/intermedia? x2, luc's garcinia, black pearl wax jambu, miracle berry, blackberry jam fruit, uvaia do campo, Randia fitzalanii, sugar apple, Papaya, Surinam Cherry.