Author Topic: Feb 17th - Is it too late for more panicle formation on S Florida mango trees?  (Read 2179 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
My mango bloom and panicles look decent this year. But is there a chance for more to emerge? Especially if we have a late cold snap.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
My Neelam and kiett are just starting to emerge. One branch at a time.
Ndm still sending out new ones.
I don't expect the flowering to stop for at least another 2 weeks here

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Highs in the 80s for weeks now with lows around 70. Going to be overwhelmingly vegetative growth emerging going forward.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Highs in the 80s for weeks now with lows around 70. Going to be overwhelmingly vegetative growth emerging going forward.

You are right about daily highs in the 80s. This weather forecast says so...going up to March 3rd. With average daily chance of precipitation of 15%
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Fort+Lauderdale+FL+33321:4:US
No one is betting their life on such long range forecasts but they are probably right.

My Neelam and kiett are just starting to emerge. One branch at a time.
Ndm still sending out new ones.

Tomorrow I am going to look for newly emerging growth. Growth that is a leaf-panicle mix is better than nothing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:36:26 PM by zands »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Just some scattered blooms on the Carrie and on the Coconut Cream (coco-cream has new vegetative growth now emerging too). The Pickering has one flower, but is mostly dormant. Both of my NDM's are still dormant with swollen buds. All of my other mango trees (lemon zest, glenn, and valencia pride) are just producing vegetative growth. The hurricane screwed up this mango season for me.
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
That's odd. I've got strong bloom, despite hurricane Irma and the late Sept pruning that followed. Even my lychees, which got blown apart from Irma have scattered blooms. The cold we had this winter has been phenomenal.

Just some scattered blooms on the Carrie and on the Coconut Cream (coco-cream has new vegetative growth now emerging too). The Pickering has one flower, but is mostly dormant. Both of my NDM's are still dormant with swollen buds. All of my other mango trees (lemon zest, glenn, and valencia pride) are just producing vegetative growth. The hurricane screwed up this mango season for me.
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• View Profile
That's odd. I've got strong bloom, despite hurricane Irma and the late Sept pruning that followed. Even my lychees, which got blown apart from Irma have scattered blooms. The cold we had this winter has been phenomenal.

Larger, older  trees are flowering well across the state other than non-producers like Mulgoba and Bombay. Younger trees are flowering at different rates depending on cultivar. Precocious types such as the Julie descendants (Carrie,Pickering, Angie, Dwarf Hawaiian  etc) flowered profusely for the most part. The less precocious stuff, Old classics like Van Dyke, Bailey’s Marvel, etc are seeing partial blooms as young trees. Most Egyptian types, the aforementioned Bombay and Mulgoba, along with some other “ bloom insensitive” types and trees that lost too many leaves from Irma are completely failing to flower.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
We like a cold dry winter for dormancy for mangoes and lychees in South Florida. This leads to a better bloom.
Various Caribbean islands such as Haiti and Jamaica have warmer winters than Florida. How do they get decent mango production with nil or no dormancy? Is it the mango varieties that they grow?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:32:24 AM by zands »

Squam256

• View Profile
We like a cold dry winter for dormancy for mangoes and lychees in South Florida. This leads to a better bloom.
Various Caribbean islands such as Haiti and Jamaica have warmer winters than Florida. How do they get decent mango production with nil or no dormancy? Is it the mango varieties that they grow?

Correct. Haitian cultivars bloom quite easily. Julie and East Indian are a couple West Indian Mangos that bloom with ease.

It is worth noting however that mangos generally don’t yield as well in the tropics as they do in the sub-tropics. People are sometimes surprised to learn that mangos produce better in Florida on a per-hectare basis than they do in places like the Philippines and Thailand, and wouldn’t be commercially viable in certain areas without potassium nitrate.