Author Topic: Skanky Coffee Grounds  (Read 1242 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Skanky Coffee Grounds
« on: March 20, 2019, 03:21:05 PM »
I had been collecting used coffee grounds (and filters) from a local coffee shop a couple years ago.

I had some large buckets filled with the grounds just sitting outside, for about 2 years.

I finally went to empty them and one of them was really foul (i.e. sewer-like) from anaerobic fermentation.

So my question is - should I throw that batch out rather than use around trees? Would only apply a thin layer with some other organic matter as a top-dressing, not digging it into soil at all.

I am drying-out the grounds in the sun now.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Skanky Coffee Grounds
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 03:24:42 PM »
I drink a ton of coffee and collected the spent grounds all winter.   I left them in a pile outside.  Yesterday I made a batch of potting soil mix and the coffee grounds seemed about the same consistency as peat moss, so I simply substituted them for the usual percentage of peat moss in my soil mix.   Some of the coffee grounds had turned green/moldy, but I don't see why it would harm the plants especially in a low ratio.  I'm using them. 

First year doing this, though.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »
I hear ya - in this case i was concerned about transmitting "bad" (anaerobic) bacteria to the soil microbiome.

But i'm not sure if that's a valid fear.

I'm tellin' ya, these grounds smelled like a 2-year old port-a-john!  UGGGGGGG

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 03:58:08 PM »
I would bury it somewhere else. Why pour a bunch of bad anerobic material on your plants.  Sounds like you already know its not a good idea.
Brad Spaugh

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 04:05:07 PM »
Thanks, yeah it definitely gave me pause.

On the positive side one bucket seems to have good amount of worm castings (and worms of course) and did not reek.  Turned black and crumbly with shiny stuff

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 05:39:14 PM »
These "bad" anaerobic bacterium are in you, on you, around you, in the soil you step onto, around your plants, on your plants, etc. ;)
If you think that your coffee grinds went (going) through anaerobic composting, empty the buckets and create a pile in the shade, add some more plant material, mix well and let it compost.

But don't throw away the gold!

Zone Pusher

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 08:05:55 PM »
I agree with jungle yard, put in a pile with some mulch for 6 months or oak leaves

I am curious after sitting that long did the filters break down completely?
I also get the coffee grounds from my local coffee shop. I throw the bag in a spot on my driveway
until I get 5-6 bags which I get one per week. I then pull the filters and end up with around a garbage
can filled with just coffee grounds. I put one big scoop around every tree in my yard.

Another thing I do 1-2 times a year is get 3-4 bags of pine shavings from a mouse farm with all the
mouse excrements. I make one big pile with mulch and 6 months later I got some nice compost to
add to my trees. It would probably burn the trees initially and needs to break down.