Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 285088 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »
Gary I believe we get about 400-600 chill hours depending on the winter...I think that should suffice....Too bad its not enough for Honey Crisp....
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2014, 06:24:02 PM »
....which I stupidly have planted I might add....if you're ever down here,
you can have it as you've got more chances than I do (250-300 Chill hours)
on a cooler than normal winter to get that one producing.....

G

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »
 Ngowe tree  it is believed was brought from Zanzibar and planted on Lamu approximately 106 years ago. This is typical coastal cultivar variety, type, also known as Lamu mango, can now be found all along theThe East African coastline and has also adapted well to medium altitude locations

Among the native mangoes from Kenya Coast are Apple Mangoes,Boribo and Dodo

Ngowe
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:57:23 PM by mwambao »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2014, 07:21:04 PM »
There are way too many factors to consider when choosing a set of top x mangoes:

- Soil: mango flavor varies based on soil
 - Year: mango flavor varies from year to year on the same tree
 - State of Maturity: mango flavor varies quite a bit based whether it was picked too early or too late
 - Time of Year: often, the first say 10% of a mango crop will be more bland than the later crop; for mangoes with multiple crops, late crop can sometimes be sweeter
 - Culture of Taster: preferences vary widely based on the background of the taster
 - Frame of Mind: placebo effect, first mango of season exuberance, etc.
 - Climate: warm weather sometimes sweetens up
 - Cultural Conditions: eg, postassium can sweeten up a mango

So, trying to compile a top x list is not going to be easy. Your best bet is to track someone down from your area who can give you some local advice and possibly some samples to taste test.

My "practical" advice -- you're in socal where you can grow an unconscionable array of ridiculously awesome fruits (cherimoya, persimmon, grapes, stone fruits, hass avocadoes, citrus, feijoa, pomegranates, etc, etc), so I would plant out one or two mangoes and fill the rest of the yard with all the other awesome fruits that you lucky brats can grow there.
Jeff  :-)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:03 PM »
GARY LOLLLLLLL.... I got a real good kick out of that.

I'll definately give it a shot and see if I can get something from it.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2014, 08:23:18 PM »
Will do Jeff... Thanks for the amazing break down on the overall quality of a Mango.

Gary has a couple of Zills Monsters...I dont think they're ready for taste trials yet based on their maturity. I think I might wing it and hope for the best.... I know it sounds crazy with me not even tryed anything other than a store bought Mango....But my mind is set that the rest of the yard will be devoted to MANGOS!!!!

Dont worry about variety... The house came with a set a mature beauties including.... a mature Cherry tree, Santa Rosa Plum, Mexican Lime, Blood Orange, Pear... recently planted 15 Gallon Red Barron Peach and Saturn Peach tree, Anna Dorset apple.....

Its time to grow some of Zills Monsters ....

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
hahaha if you're used to store mangoes, then even what we floridians consider mediocre mangoes will knock your socks off. I ship glenns back home to my folks in ventura county, and they absolutely love them.

But, if I had to decide between filling the yard with cherimoyas or mangoes, it would be a tough call. Cherimoya has to be one of the world's finest fruits.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2014, 08:36:32 PM »
Will do Jeff... Thanks for the amazing break down on the overall quality of a Mango.

Gary has a couple of Zills Monsters...I dont think they're ready for taste trials yet based on their maturity. I think I might wing it and hope for the best.... I know it sounds crazy with me not even tryed anything other than a store bought Mango....But my mind is set that the rest of the yard will be devoted to MANGOS!!!!

Dont worry about variety... The house came with a set a mature beauties including.... a mature Cherry tree, Santa Rosa Plum, Mexican Lime, Blood Orange, Pear... recently planted 15 Gallon Red Barron Peach and Saturn Peach tree, Anna Dorset apple.....

Its time to grow some of Zills Monsters ....

Clay

I meet a cherimoya grower, in the scion exchange last Saturday, from Temecula that said he has a large mango collection that grow well down there. We will be visiting him in spring and post pics.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 25, 2014, 12:04:41 AM »
JF,

I would love to hear what we have growing right around the corner from me.. I wonder if he has some of Mango Professors varieties...I'm still hoping someone would give a review on his cold hardy Mangos he has produced.

Jeff

Now you have me contemplating on taking one of my Mango selections out for a cherimoya....And I have never even tasted one of those things lol
What are you doing to me....

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2014, 10:50:11 AM »
ohh boy. you need to try a quality cherimoya. they are obscenely delicious.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
Darn, I looked at at em both.....Walked away with the Anna...I think i might compost it and go pick up the Dorsett.. They still have some left in Bareroot at Home Depot and Lowes for liek 20 bucks

Or plant both in 1 hole
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
...and Clay, I've only eaten one Cherimoya that JF gave me and can't remember what it tasted like....
and regarding the Mango Professor and all his new mango varieties in Camarillo - he was supposed to have a public mango tasting this last year but cancelled it - can't remember why.  so none of us have tasted any of his 10 - 12 new varieties.  He has write-ups on them on his website, but no one I know has tasted them in person...

Gary

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
Hello Joe, I hope you will have more reviews this year. I would love to hear your review of Maha Chanok and some of the newer Zill varieties. Thanks again for all the detailed descriptions!
Simon

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 21, 2014, 03:15:55 PM »
I noticed that the first glenns I picked were not as sweet and flavorful as the rest. Even with all the rain that fell, the later glenns were sweeter and have a bit of a pineapple flavor. The flavor is similar if not identical to the haden I grew in muck/builder's fill limestone soil at my old house, but they are sweeter and have less fiber than haden. I know I don't have a mislabeled tree cause the tree and the fruits look like Glenns.
Alexi

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 22, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »
No reviews yet this season?  You're killing us, Joe.  We were spoiled by your previous posts.  Hope everything is ok.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 22, 2014, 10:13:28 PM »
I stopped by Benders Grove and picked up a bag of mangoes I don't grow. I am looking for future trees to grow. So far I am missing out on the GLENN mango.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 22, 2014, 10:24:46 PM »
I have enjoyed all the glenns i have had this year...sorry Rob  ;)  Trying to get out as much as possible.
~Jeff

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 22, 2014, 11:15:54 PM »
Hey guys just checking in. This has been one heck of a whirlwind year so far and I cant even believe that June is almost over with. My wife and I bought our first house together and closed on it 5 days ago. The yard has 0.3 acres of canvas to work with! : )  Spent the entire day today trimming trees, clearing brush, ripping out stumps; to make room for the fruit trees I plan to plant and even a large raised garden bed for vegetables. The previous owners had a ton of ply wood in the garage which they were using for hurricane shutters and I am gonna use it for the raised garden bed, (have to buy real hurricane shutters to lower home insurance premium, and now I know why everyone complains about fl home insurance...)

Mango season thus far hasn't even started for me, I had one off a friends tree which was so so and then some honey's from publix. I plan on getting down to truly tropical soon and I am definitely hitting up mango madness at fruit and spice park this year again. I plan to post some more reviews this year and a video of my yard once I get some stuff planted out.

-joep450

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 22, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »
Joe - looks like your post had been hijacked but now you're back to claim it!
Can't WAIT for your next review.  You are the one I listen too more than any
others!

Thanks for doing this.....Gary
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:37:56 PM by MangoFang »

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 22, 2014, 11:51:01 PM »
wow, Joe.  Congrats on the house!!!  I was in almost the exact same situation last June.  Awesome that you'll be planting things out soon.  I am also attending mango madness/mania/tasting event at f&s on saturday.  Look forward to meeting you.
~Jeff

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2014, 11:44:48 AM »
dear all...,Mallika mango from India is undoubtedly the world's finest mango in taste...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »
dear all...,Mallika mango from India is undoubtedly the world's finest mango in taste...

An opinion only from a resident of India...and as an opinion from a Florida, USA resident (in which we have over 100 distinctly different named varieties), a Florida grown Mallika can be outstanding it is not "undoubtedly the world's finest mango in taste".
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 23, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »
Congrats on your new house!  :)
Alexi

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2014, 03:45:01 PM »

Mallika is a great mango for sure,  but "worlds finest" depends on the person eating the mango,  no mango will ever be, everyone's favorite.  also there are over 1000 varieties of mangoes with new hybrids being introduced all the time,  so even the Mallika may be bred to make it even better.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 28, 2014, 12:48:21 AM »
Hey forum on Wednesday I made it down to truly tropical and was able to pick up a host of delicious mangos, out of the mangos I have eaten so far the lemon meringues and large Carries were righteously on point. I had two large dot mango and two cogshall which I could have sworn tasted slightly better last year IMO but were still great. Spoke with Chris about this years crop and she said lots of cultivars are coming due at the same time so if you haven't already make sure you head down there and get while the gettin's good. I was saddened to see that the ice cream, one of my personal favorites had but 6 mangos on the tree, whereas last year the thing was bursting with them.

Since I follow the truly tropical blog, I was dead set in making the trip down in hopes of scoring some Depuis Saigon, a mango I have never tasted, but have only read about on this forum. What follows is an account of my first tasting : )

This Depuis Saigon "DS" weighed in at 10.4 oz, was 4.25in long, bright canary yellow with white spots and some small browning. It was soft to the touch with some give and the mango did not have a strong aromatic smell, only when really close could a light sweet scent be noticed. When I ran my knife along the edge of the seed to halve the mango I noticed that the seed was very thick, which would prove a lower amount of edible flesh to seed ratio. When the mango was halved it produced a bright orange flesh, with hardly any juice. The flesh for the most part was fiberless until you ate near the seed which a picture below shows. The texture of the flesh was very soft and slippery, I would not call it creamy. The taste was sweet, with notes of oranges and honey dew melon. Overall, I think this was a great tasting mango and I am curious as to why it is not more widely propagated, production? Disease resistance issues? ....definitely not because of taste.

-joep450