Author Topic: PPK mango tree not growing.  (Read 4392 times)

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
PPK mango tree not growing.
« on: June 08, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
So I bought a 3 gallon ppk/lemon meringue mango tree sometime in Feb, I put it in the ground and it has yet to put on any new growth. The tree overall looks healthy but I am puzzled as to why the thing has not grown at all in the past 5 months or so. I have been giving it water since we have not been getting any but I also tried not watering it for a couple weeks to see if that would make it start growing, nothing happened. What do you guys think? All of my other mango trees are putting on new growth like crazy, they are however mature trees.

I am thinking about giving it until july/august and then it is getting replaced with another ppk.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:52:53 PM by chad6159 »

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Re: PPK mango tree not growing.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 09:51:16 PM »

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »
You have to be patient. They put out roots first before putting out new growth. Pruning will speed up the process, even cutting an inch off of the tips will do the trick.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 10:08:49 PM »
You have to be patient. They put out roots first before putting out new growth. Pruning will speed up the process, even cutting an inch off of the tips will do the trick.

I have thought about pruning it. But it is only a 3 gallon mango, it is probably only a foot tall... maybe a bit more.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 11:10:41 PM »
We're just coming into rainy season the heat and constant rainfall really speed up tree growth. If it's very small it's probably not the best idea to prune it. Let it get acclimated and put down some roots and I'm sure it will start growing for you. I have witnessed Lemon Meringue to be rather slow to get going at my place as well.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 11:45:24 PM »
LM is slow to start, especially if you don't give it nitrogen. My 5 year old tree stands a towering 7 - 8 feet tall. Meanwhile, my lemon zest of same age is twice as tall.
Jeff  :-)

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 02:59:04 AM »
LM is slow to start, especially if you don't give it nitrogen. My 5 year old tree stands a towering 7 - 8 feet tall. Meanwhile, my lemon zest of same age is twice as tall.

I did just give it some fertilizer a couple days ago, we will see if it helps any.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 11:09:54 AM »
So I bought a 3 gallon ppk/lemon meringue mango tree sometime in Feb, I put it in the ground and it has yet to put on any new growth. The tree overall looks healthy but I am puzzled as to why the thing has not grown at all in the past 5 months or so. I have been giving it water since we have not been getting any but I also tried not watering it for a couple weeks to see if that would make it start growing, nothing happened. What do you guys think? All of my other mango trees are putting on new growth like crazy, they are however mature trees.

I am thinking about giving it until july/august and then it is getting replaced with another ppk.

I planted a healthy looking 3gl cogshall two years ago and it did not budge for a whole year, now it is growing like a wild fire. It is likely just getting established and putting all of it's energy into rooting, Next summer it should go nuts. Be careful not to over fertilize it. I have killed several you mango trees that way, Hard lesson to learn.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »

I planted a healthy looking 3gl cogshall two years ago and it did not budge for a whole year, now it is growing like a wild fire. It is likely just getting established and putting all of it's energy into rooting, Next summer it should go nuts. Be careful not to over fertilize it. I have killed several you mango trees that way, Hard lesson to learn.

Yeah I only gave it a little bit since it is a young tree. I didnt even want to put any fertilizer on it at all but I was to the point where if it didnt start growing it was going to get replaced anyway.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 11:23:03 AM »
Is it getting full sun?

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
Is it getting full sun?

Yeah it is in full sun. Maybe once the rains really start around here it will take off.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 12:47:43 AM »
So this tree has only put out one flush of growth over a year ago. It is still only about a foot and a half tall at over 2 years in the ground....all of my other trees are growing fantastically. What do you guys think I should do?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 01:47:46 AM »
Do you have a picture of your tree?

Maybe you can purchase and plant another LM and plant it close to this one. Sometimes you just get a dud tree. Hopefully it starts growing for you. A picture of the tree may help identify issues.

Simon

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 12:46:43 PM »
Do you have a picture of your tree?

Maybe you can purchase and plant another LM and plant it close to this one. Sometimes you just get a dud tree. Hopefully it starts growing for you. A picture of the tree may help identify issues.

Simon

Sorry for all of the shadows, best I can do right now.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 03:06:07 PM »
Your tree looks health and I can see some shoots coming out.
Be patient, and I would remove some of the wood chips close to the trunk to about 6 to 9 inches away.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 03:44:04 PM »
Your tree looks health and I can see some shoots coming out.
Be patient, and I would remove some of the wood chips close to the trunk to about 6 to 9 inches away.

Thank you. Cant really see it in the pictures but there are some chips that go up to the trunk but it is only that one chip deep. There is like a little bowl around the trunk probably 6 inches around that only has that one tiny little layer. Everywhere else is around 4 inches or so.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 03:46:19 PM »
I agree with JulianoGS, your tree looks really good but you can clear some of the mulch away from the trunk. The leaf color doesn’t indicate your tree is lacking any nutrients but a bit of Nitrogen may stimulate faster growth. I would just keep taking care of this tree and hopefully it will start increasing its growth.

I have noticed that my PPK is significantly slower growing compared to my Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet.

Simon

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 03:46:30 PM »
Also the buds at the tips of the branches have been like that since late last year. I dont think they have grown at all this year. I check on it pretty much everyday, like I do all of my trees, just hoping for the best and think maybe Ill see it starting to swell and turn green but nope...

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 03:49:12 PM »
I agree with JulianoGS, your tree looks really good but you can clear some of the mulch away from the trunk. The leaf color doesn’t indicate your tree is lacking any nutrients but a bit of Nitrogen may stimulate faster growth. I would just keep taking care of this tree and hopefully it will start increasing its growth.

I have noticed that my PPK is significantly slower growing compared to my Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet.

Simon

I did give it some fertilizer probably 2 months ago. I guess I could give it some more?

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 06:32:33 PM »
Also the buds at the tips of the branches have been like that since late last year. I dont think they have grown at all this year. I check on it pretty much everyday, like I do all of my trees, just hoping for the best and think maybe Ill see it starting to swell and turn green but nope...

It looks like it’s getting a bit of shade; I have a couple small trees (one of which is a PPK) that only started growing a couple days ago that are also getting some shade and I’ve attributed it to that. The buds swelled up months ago and it had been painful checking on them every day and seeing no change.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 07:32:40 PM »
Maybe a different fertilizer would help. I have plenty of the special blend I use 100% slow release Nutricote 18-6-8 with all micros, you can't burn any tree with it. I owe you for all the fishing trips, just remind me!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 10:21:58 PM »
I will suggest you just be patient,
It will start growing when it is good and ready.
I have had mango plants that got transplanted and just seemed to quit for a long time.
Then they took off.
I also have others that get in the ground and just explode.  I don't do anything different so it is either plant or location or time of year.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 10:42:14 AM »
I will suggest you just be patient,
It will start growing when it is good and ready.
I have had mango plants that got transplanted and just seemed to quit for a long time.
Then they took off.
I also have others that get in the ground and just explode.  I don't do anything different so it is either plant or location or time of year.

I was patient the first 2 years haha. But it has been 2 and a half years and it pretty much has not grown at all.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 10:43:26 AM »
Maybe a different fertilizer would help. I have plenty of the special blend I use 100% slow release Nutricote 18-6-8 with all micros, you can't burn any tree with it. I owe you for all the fishing trips, just remind me!

You paid your part with gas money. But Ill gladly take some fertilizer from you, it is worth a shot!

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 11:04:07 AM »
You can try to pee on the tree, our urine contains significant levels of nitrogen, as well as phosphorous and potassium.  ;)
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.