Author Topic: Mulberry Questions - Sangue e Latte & Morus Nigra Verification Photos  (Read 303 times)

TootToot

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Hello All,

I have recently purchased three Morus Nigra Persian Mulberry trees from Dave Wilson Nursery, but I am a little concerned after reading some articles around mulberry trees being often misattributed between the different varieties. After reading the "Identification" section of https://www.growingmulberry.org/identification, it seems as though Morus Nigra should have distinct large black buds. However, the three trees that I have purchased all have small brown buds.

Do these trees look like Morus Nigra?

Secondly, I have been looking to get my hands on the mulberry variety Sangue e Latte. From looking at the photos, it looks like there is a strong resemblance between this variety, and some other varieties that go by the name of "Sweet Lavender" or "White Ivory" (https://www.whitmanfarms.com/category/allplants/edible-plants/mulberries/white-lavender-mulberries/).

Is Sangue e Latte the same as these other varieties? I hope so, because there don't seem to be many options for getting this variety in the US!

FigoVelo

• Sebastopol, California, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Mulberry Questions - Sangue e Latte & Morus Nigra Verification Photos
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 10:30:06 PM »
I can’t tell if those trees are nigra or alba. Nigra tends to have stubbier, thicker branch ends and fatter buds.

I had sweet lavender and rootstocked it. The berries were tasty but pea-sized. I grafted on Tehama, Hunza white, and Easter Egg. Expecting fruit this year.

TootToot

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 03:25:12 PM »
Hi FigoVelo,

Yes I have another older Morus Nigra, and the buds are much larger. Now that the leaves are coming out, the new trees do have a similar look and feel to the Morus Nigra. Perhaps the bud size is dependent on the age of the tree? As in, the older the Morus Nigra gets, the larger the buds will be?

I was also looking at the Easter Egg that you mentioned, I am curious as to how that tastes. I am really biased towards the Morus Nigra, as I really like the mix between sweet & tart. For example, I don't like the Pakistani varieties too much as they just taste like sugar to me.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 10:22:52 PM »
They look like nigra to me, but it's hard to be sure from just immature leaves like those. But I'm about 90% sure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk