Author Topic: Richard Campbell Pruning and Fertilization Horticulture Class for Fairchild Volu  (Read 3905 times)

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
We are offered many opportunities to learn as part of the volunteer program at FTBG.  Yesterday I went to the titled class given by Richard Campbell and thought I'd share my notes with the forum.  I learned a lot.  I had a work conflict a couple weeks ago and missed the Fairchild farm field trip.  The notes are as written and not organized in any particular order. 

I hope members find them as useful as I did.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that all fertilizers are salt and can kill trees.  Be conservative on the side of less.
Modern fertilizers will not make you a better grower.  They are recent developments of the petroleum industry.  Before the 1940’s there were no fertilizers and we were better horticulturists.
Pruning and fertilizes should be done yourself and not tasked away to 3rd parties.

Don’t store fertilizer near gas. 

Slow release fertilizer is good and helps you with a conservative application.

Fertilize a day before there is a 60% chance of rain in forecast.  Don’t do prior to a forecast heavy rainfall.  6 inches of rain will wash away all fertilizer before absorption.  Worse, it ends up in the ocean and causes algae blooms.

Organic sources are hard to find.  Chicken manure is good, but needs 6 months to compost.  Be careful with horse manure as it can have needles and be contaminated with fly pesticide.  Its high in boron/molybedenum.  Needs to compost at least 6 months.
Kitchen compost is excellent, but will not be available in sufficient quantities to be effective on any scale.
Dead leaves have little nitrogen as it’s been pulled out by the tree prior to leaf dropping.  Straight mulch is a good fertilizer.

About fish as fertilizer, he said that if you bury a dead fish in a hole while planting a tree, the tree will die.  Too much ammonia.

Slow release fertilizer is good and 10x more expensive.  There are different release times, up to 12 months.  FTBG uses 12 months to save on labor.  They use 8/4/11  Harrell’s.  When rainy season ends they add a 3 month application.

Soil temperature is key when applying fertilizer.  Less than 65-70 degrees means the tree will be dormant regardless of air temperature.

It’s better to use low analysis with more frequent applications, never higher than 11% nitrogen.

Organic sources will have almost no “K”.

For fruit 8/3/9 + minors is good.  In South Florida, the micro nutrients are the most important.  High PH soils render micronutrients unavailable.  They remain in the soil tied up by organic elements.  Micros must be applied via a chelate (expensive), the most expensive part of fertilization.  Southern Ag foliar is good but not as good as using a chelate.  Foliar gets the job done to a point, but there is better absorption via the roots. 

Iron is important for broadleafs.  For Palms manganese/zinc are most important. 

When applying chelates, it’s hard to overapply in S. Florida.  Applying is useless when soil is cold. 

Make sure to apply fertilizers to dripline area for maximum absorption, not near trunk.

The amount of fertilizer to apply depends on how much fruit you take away.  Fertilize heavy if you fruit heavy.
Mangos are an exception, they will not bloom if “fat and happy” being fed a lot of fertilizer.  More fertilizer = less fruit.  Starve them to get fruit.  “K” is important for flower production.  0/0/51 for mangos.  Will not hurt tree.  It gives mangoes better color, higher sugar, and firmer fruit.  N will negatively impact fruit taste.  Do not apply muriate of potash to mangoes.  It is full of chlorine.  Urea will kill a mango tree.

With avocados and jackfruit, it doesn’t matter.  The more you fertilize, the more they grow and fruit. 

N makes leaves green.  P – lots of phosphorus in ground in S Fla.  We don’t need it in the fertilizer.  Lotus is being planted to remove P and heavy metals/pollutants in areas of S Fla.

Cheap fertilizers should be avoided, they have high chlorine content.

Minors key for lychee/longan, not as much for mango.  It’s expensive and hard to apply.
General purpose – there is no slow release 6/6/6.

Palms should be high in “K” (8/2/12, 11/4/11, 9/4/12).  Keys are micronutrients

Fruits (8/3/9) good general purpose fertilizer.  Harrell’s slow release is good.

Pruning – Ran short of time for this topic as most of the 2 hours were consumed by the fertilizing discussion.
No right or wrong way to prune.  Prune for fruit production and hurricane protection.  The bigger they are the harder they fall.  Don’t let anyone else do your pruning.  Start early and prune the entire life of the tree.  A multiple hurricane year will make you glad you controlled size.

Palms – easy…only remove dead fronds.

Broadleaf – prune for aesthetics, size, shaping, effect.

Suggestions – take arborist classes, read books on arborist techniques.  Find old books as there is nothing new on the subject that wasn’t known a long time ago.

Tools – loppers, handsaw, clippers, machete.  Handsaw preferred over chainsaw as this gives you discipline on cuts.

Objectives for fruit tree are to produce fruit and keep small.  Mango trees, use clippers, make into bushes. 

If a tree falls over, it will never be a permanent tree again.  It will never develop a root system to support a top. 
From a 13 foot tree to a 15 foot tree, there is a 30% higher chance of it blowing over.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
In reference to:
Pruning – Ran short of time for this topic as most of the 2 hours were consumed by the fertilizing discussion.
No right or wrong way to prune.  Prune for fruit production and hurricane protection. The bigger they are the harder they fall.  Don’t let anyone else do your pruning.  Start early and prune the entire life of the tree.  A multiple hurricane year will make you [...]

I am quite new to the hurricane zone, but a friend of mine said on the last hurricane (tropical storm) scare, go out and prune all the leaves off your trees. The leaves are basically wind sails and cause the trees to get toppled or broken. Remove the sails and the tree survives and will quickly sprout new leaves after the storm passes.

So, I had my pruners ready and the family ready to give all the trees haircuts.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:39:40 PM by FrankDrebinOfFruits »

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting this. I have been wanting to find something like this. Do you know if he will be doing something like this for members?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
This is great. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Tree trimmer mulch works fantastically for fertilizer and builds up a layer of ph-neutral compost.
Jeff  :-)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Im sorry can you expand upon what he said about horse manure? Cause I use it heavily and imho it only takes a week to be sufficiently composted to use
- David Antonio Garcia

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
I too am curious about horse manure application. I will be using it as a staple in my fertilizer regime soon, along with seaweed. I thought that as long as it is thoroughly dried it is fine to use. If there is a concern about weed seeds, then cover it with a clear plastic in the sun and let it bake for a few weeks. I could be wrong.
Life is good

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
He didn't spend much time on horse manure discussion.  He mentioned composting to avoid applying while "too hot".  After seeing your grove David, what you're doing seems to be working well.  He said that commercial horse farm sources are more likely to be contaminated than say getting it from your neighbor who keeps only a couple horses. 

He has chickens at his place and composts the manure from the chickens so he is likely more partial to that source.

FTBG does have a lecture series for members.  I'm not sure if he's on the agenda.

I had some PMs about when to apply the K.  He didn't discuss that specifically, but rather when not apply.  Since it is to induce flowering and based on what he said about soil temps, after flowering and fruit set would be too late and if soil temp is too cold it would be a waste. That certainly leaves open the after harvest period and prior to colder weather lowering soil temps. 

I'm honored and surprised at getting this post made into a sticky given my novice status on the forum and being a novice grower.  But I do love the learning process and I've gotten so much from this forum and it's more knowledgeable members that I'm very pleased to make a contribution.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:07:31 AM by PurpleAlligator »

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
Good post. Lots of nuggets. It's my experience that horse manure is pretty benign. I do however cover it and let it bake for a couple of weeks, mostly in an attempt to destroy weed seeds. "Free range" horse poop can sometimes contain lots of seeds.

If anyone else has attended similar lectures please also post notes, pics, etc. Finally, does anyone know Dr. Campbell or other lecturers personally to see if any would kindly provide copy of their lecture notes? 

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Ya in my experience, unless your pile of horse manure is then dump truck size range, it should burn out in 3-4 days, especially if your spread it

- David Antonio Garcia

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile

Tree trimmer mulch works fantastically for fertilizer and builds up a layer of ph-neutral compost.

I agree, great post. That's why I stickied it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile

I am sure everything on your phone/computer is sticky.
- Rob

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile

I am sure everything on your phone/computer is sticky.

;D ;D ;D ;D

ibliz

• The Tropics
    • View Profile
Urea will kill a mango tree.

Is that a typo ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk