Author Topic: Lemon Zest dilemma - pick now or risk leaving on tree unguarded for 14 days?  (Read 1414 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Ok maybe not a "dilemma" per se... more of a conundrum. We have a grand total of 2 lemon zest mangoes on the tree this year. Below is how they look today - a light shade of green. We leave for Hawaii on Tuesday and won't be back for 10 days. Do I pick these now (underripe) and hope they ripen by Monday or just leave them on the tree and hope they are still there/not overripe by the time we get back?

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
Pick one, leave one. Just incase....
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
From the looks, even if you picked today it would most likely not be ripe by Monday.  Maybe pick it and sneak it on and take it with you...
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
I can guard them for you. Honest.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
put a clam shell on it. Try finding the ones used for 1 qt of strawberries, they will work perfectly. you can even put a string through it near top and tie to the branch that way the fruit will never hit the ground.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
decided to leave them both in the clamshells. hopefully still there when we get back. i'll have to make up for it by eating mangoes in Hawaii.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
I did not realize you were going to Hawaii!  Now I do not feel sorry for you! haha