Author Topic: Names of sour sop varieties. The sweet ones especially. Soursop  (Read 4022 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
I was told the three sour sop types are--  (Soursop)
  • sweet
  • sweet-sour
  • sour
Can someone tell me the name of the variety (varieties) that is just sweet.      This is the type I am interested in getting. Also if you can recommend a sweet variety.     Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:23:47 PM by zands »

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: Names of sour sop varieties. The sweet ones especially. Soursop
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:06:54 PM »
I was told the three sour sop types are--  (Soursop)
  • sweet
  • sweet-sour
  • sour
Can someone tell me the name of the variety (varieties) that is just sweet.      This is the type I am interested in getting. Also if you can recommend a sweet variety.     Thanks!
Hi Zands! Don't know if is 100% sweet but there's some great reviews on the Whitman by Coconut where says is very sweet and fiberless..check them your mouth is going to be watering as mine did...
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 03:52:01 AM »
That is the west indian classification. Cuban fibreless is the most common sweet and isn't fibreless. Whitman fibreless is an esteemed variety but low productivity, panama fibreless is good, morado is big, arusha is productive and good and what is that other Brazilian variety ....lily?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:44:41 AM »
Thanks Mike and Raul!  I am going to phone up Pine Island nursery to see what variety they send-distribute to nurseries and big box stores. Probably a sweet variety.  Then I can buy a soursop nearby me.

I was just told they sell out at Western Beef in Boca Raton in 45 minutes whenever they some in. And go for $8 per pound
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:47:59 AM by zands »

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 06:48:03 PM »
Named plant varieties you'll find in SFL include Miami, Homestead, and Sunrise, all of which were bred for their abilities to be supposed high producers. Unfortunately, I have yet to taste any of them yet though to give a report on sweetness, but I think they are supposed to be sweet varieties.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 07:20:42 PM »
I have Homestead (in ground 1.5 years) and harvested 3 fruits this summer. They were sweet, little bit of sour, and low fiber.  I actually like to sour them up more by adding passion fruit, and would consider the fruit mostly sweet with a touch of sour. Had a bit of seeds, not bad. Not sure what is normal seed count for soursop, but way less seeds than the sugar apples I've had.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 01:58:14 AM »
All this begs the question, what nursery in So. Fla. supplies HD, Lowes and larger nurseries? The labels generally do not contain the grower or cultivar.

Why wouldn't the bigger suppliers / growers want the end user to know what they are getting? Further why (if they do) grow anything substandard according to the average palette?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:32:27 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 09:45:03 AM »
All this begs the question, what nursery in So. Fla. supplies HD, Lowes and larger nurseries? The labels generally do not contain the grower or cultivar.

Why wouldn't the bigger suppliers / growers want the end user to know what they are getting? Further why (if they do) grow anything substandard according to the average palette?

I think the big box stores/garden centers don't have the knowledge base to select or care for exotic/tropical plants and probably just make bulk orders and don't care about variety. I don't think they have the time to educate all the employees so unless the employees are interested in plants they likely don't have special info.

I think it's worth while to step away from the big chains and find a local nursery that knows the area, and what grows well. Hopefully they have some plant characteristics, but I find that TFF members including myself are looking for something special and have likely done their research ahead of a trip to the nursery. I've heard  S FL has some great specialty places and would be able to share a lot on interesting info and would have specific cultivars.
John

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:25 AM »

I think it's because we as fruit connoisseurs represent a very small fraction of tropical fruit customers. Outside of our bubble the vast majority of tropical fruit lovers aren't nearly as discerning, and just want a soursop or whatever tree ....

for example just look at the ridiculous amount of mango trees in south Florida backyards, in all types of areas, most people don't know or don't care what variety they have (many/most are seedling trees), they just like having a mango tree that produces well. Big box stores seem to have no problem moving large amounts of fruit trees without too much details as their primary customers aren't that picky like us.
always longing for a JA Julie

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 09:58:06 AM »
Also the "average palette" probably isn't that discerning either..and what we may think as substandard is good to the average palette. Most people simply want sweet.
always longing for a JA Julie

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 11:40:47 AM »
Also the "average palette" probably isn't that discerning either..and what we may think as substandard is good to the average palette. Most people simply want sweet.

I would call "people simply want sweet" an "average" palette, no? I mean really who buys a fruit tree other than citrus that craves sour?

Regards,

Gary

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
To chime in with my 2 cents.

Most people who want to plant soursop, just want a "normal" soursop. They just want what they are use to a know as a soursop.
If you tell them this is a sweet one, they'll likely insist the one i grew up with is sweet, or bigger. etc.
Same goes for most fruits.
Its nostalga

Only the enthusiasts care about better flavored versions of the same fruit.