Author Topic: Florida Hass Avocado  (Read 19496 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Florida Hass Avocado
« on: August 28, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »
As you probably know there is not a lot of reliable information on Florida Hass Avocado. If any, there is a lot of misinformation. I'm trying to gather factual information from people now growing the tree in different areas. You can check it here: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/florida-hass-avocado.html
I encourage you, if you have the tree, to contribute to gather accurate information by sending your reports and pictures like other two growers are doing. If you have any question feel free to write or PM me.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:00:42 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Hass Avocado
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »
I have a tree, but just a baby Of course it will probably be years before I will get any fruit, but I will keep you informed when it does.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:01:53 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Thanks, Its hard to believe but I have not found one person with an adult bearing tree.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
I have a bearing tree.........it had 2 fruit last year and I wasn't sure when to pick them and they did not ripen. This year I have about 10 fruit and I picked 2 about a month ago and the did not ripen. I picked 2 last week and same thing! I guess I will try again in a few weeks......they do not seem to be getting any bigger?

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »
The Hass here in Mexico grows at higher elevations commercially , at my 300 meters it does not do well , fortunately we have more tropical ones . No named variety .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »
I have a bearing tree.........it had 2 fruit last year and I wasn't sure when to pick them and they did not ripen. This year I have about 10 fruit and I picked 2 about a month ago and the did not ripen. I picked 2 last week and same thing! I guess I will try again in a few weeks......they do not seem to be getting any bigger?

The season for FL Hass is supposed to be Oct./Nov./Dec.  You have only 10 fruit on your tree, and you're picking them in July and August and expecting them to be good?  Hope you don't mind me asking (humorously, of course), but is something wrong with you, my friend? ???
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:07:32 PM by johnb51 »
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 10:43:36 PM »
All depends where you are located. I know of a person in central Florida who picked his fruit a week ago and if was ready.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:49:39 PM »

The season for FL Hass is supposed to be Oct./Nov./Dec.  You have only 10 fruit on your tree, and you're picking them in July and August and expecting them to be good?  Hope you don't mind me asking (humorously, of course), but is something wrong with you, my friend? ???

Where do you get the information Oct/Nov/Dec? You read it some place or you have a tree?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 06:27:22 AM »
The way you can tell when avocados are ripe is from size and also color. They will start to get a lighter color and lose the shiny surface when ripe. If you have a lot of fruits on the tree you will also notice some starting to drop.
Oscar

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 09:10:49 AM »
I read it, but I did plant a tree last winter.  I'll let you know when it has fruit in a couple years (hopefully).  ;)
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
John please keep me posted of how it does in your area. There is a lot of misinformation on this variety. I'm trying to get reports from different parts to get an accurate picture of maturity, production etc.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 06:45:15 AM »
All depends where you are located. I know of a person in central Florida who picked his fruit a week ago and if was ready.
Where in Central Florida?  I didn't think the Florida Haas was that cold hearty...
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 10:53:42 PM »
Rob, I put Tim's reports on my wed page. http://www.myavocadotrees.com/florida-hass-avocado.html
He is from Minneola, Florida. The tree seems to be doing well.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 11:28:21 PM »
 8) ??? :P :-*
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:18:18 PM by johnb51 »
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 02:04:43 PM »
I bought one 3 gal. tree in April this year, and shipped it to the Dominican Republic, its the only Avocado tree I have, I pugged and bare rooted it for shipping, and it survived and has flushed out new leaves since then and look healthy.

Of course it will probably be years before I will get any fruit, but I will keep you informed when it does.
It would be interesting to see how it does in DR. There are some growing Hass there I assume in higher altitudes. I have seen the fruit in Miami but when I cut it had black mold inside. Probably poor storage conditions.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 12:06:44 AM »

They do grow normal Hass here, but you rarely see them in supermarkets.  the company that grows them, exports them to Europe, and does process them into products for the local  market ( Guacamole ). I saw fruit a few months ago, they looked nice just like what you would find in the States. 

They do grow them at higher altitudes, you are correct.

I hope to get this Florida Hass, in the ground soon,  its still filling out after my April butchering of it :) ,

Keep us updated on the FH Avocado, do you know what its real harvesting season is?  productivity ?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:03:43 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 01:30:58 PM »
Willian I have two people reporting to me their findings. David from Miami and Tim from Central Florida, both have small trees you can see their reports on this page. http://www.myavocadotrees.com/florida-hass-avocado.html

I really would like to get a report from someone with an adult tree, but I don't think it exist.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Graphene

• USA, Florida, Boca Raton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 01:35:56 PM »
I have a Hass Avacado tree in my Boca Raton backyard which I planted 6 years ago. It was about 8ft tall when we planted and is now at least 15-20ft tall. We get about 60 fruits each summer (with spontaneous loss of an additional 30-40). Almost lost the tree to white flies in year 2, but I spent 4 hours scrubbing every leaf with soap and water and saved the tree. Last year the landscape guys stole all the fruit on the tree. This year we've pulled 4-5 off the tree every week and they are great!

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
We have had a similar experience with fruit thieves - preying on our Keitt mango tree. We don't have a landscaper/ yard service - but our neighbors do. I don't mind if the guys take a fruit or too. But it really frosts when I've caught them skulking off with armfuls!! Then - just a coincidence, I am sure - we return home a few days later and find the entire tree stripped of fruit.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 11:20:38 AM »
I belive i saw a Fruiting Florida Hass At Jeff H Place , It was a small tree with lots of fruit..

I have a Small FH avocado , just got it about 2 Month Ago..
Zone 10

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 03:15:04 PM »
We have had a similar experience with fruit thieves - preying on our Keitt mango tree. We don't have a landscaper/ yard service - but our neighbors do. I don't mind if the guys take a fruit or too. But it really frosts when I've caught them skulking off with armfuls!! Then - just a coincidence, I am sure - we return home a few days later and find the entire tree stripped of fruit.

If you see someone stealing from you call the police, taking armfuls of fruit from private property is certainly theft. The other thing I would have done in that instance was contact the neighbor that hired the thieves and the landscape company owner. 

Mucbean

• USA, Florida, Lee County, Bonita Springs, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 12:32:56 PM »
He is a pic of my Hass Avocado tree that I purchased from Home Depot. I planted it in the ground July 2013. This past March it had about 20 fruit on it. They were about the size of a caper. but they all dropped off within about a month or so.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »
He is a pic of my Hass Avocado tree that I purchased from Home Depot. I planted it in the ground July 2013. This past March it had about 20 fruit on it. They were about the size of a caper. but they all dropped off within about a month or so.

This should be a California Hass. Last year I emailed PI about their Hass found in HD and they said California, not Florida Hass. 

Moringa Maid

• Clearwater, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 12:02:12 PM »
Our Florida Hass avocado tree (purchased from a grower) is about 5 years old and has maybe a hundred good-sized fruit.  We've picked a few and let them ripen in a paper bag inside since I had read that avocadoes don't ripen on the tree.  That's probably false.  Anyway, the ones we've eaten taste somewhat to me like a regular Fl avo, but could be because they were picked a bit too early.    Made me wonder if it was a cross between a Hass and regular Fl avo.  Anyone have any data (not just hearsay) about this?  I'm going to let them ripen longer and pick another next month and see how that one tastes.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
^thanks for the taste report. i have one growing so i am interested to hear about your experience with them. what is your zone and about how old was it when it started fruiting