Author Topic: lucuma at the Fullerton arboretum  (Read 9068 times)

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
lucuma at the Fullerton arboretum
« on: March 11, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
There is a 25 feet tall lucuma tree with a 15" trunk.  The tree appears to be at least 25-30 years old.  Can someone confirm if this is the Inga gold cv. where the flesh is the moist type in oppose dry egg yolk type? 

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: lucuma at the Fullerton arboretum
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 08:40:12 PM »
Hello,

I thought I read somewhere that this Lucuma tree is the soft-type, but I cannot be 100% sure.

Tomas

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »
There is a 25 feet tall lucuma tree with a 15" trunk.  The tree appears to be at least 25-30 years old.  Can someone confirm if this is the Inga gold cv. where the flesh is the moist type in oppose dry egg yolk type?
RScott know anything?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:50:43 PM »
OK hears what I know from 2-page flyer I had from O.C.Chapter dated 9/18/2008 which has list of trees at Arboretum/rare fruit grove. Lists 2-Lucuma de Palo="Inca Gold"ssp. obovata & Lucuma de Seda ssp. bitera as to where they are located you need local who goes there a lot! Sorry that's all I know, by Lucuma's are coming out of hard freeze damage "Inca Gold" showing signs of new growth but other seedling no sign's yet! :'(

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »
Anyone have anymore info on this tree?  I picked an unripe fruit that's slightly smaller than a tennis ball and it was still completely green with no sign of yellow/brown.  It softened up after a week and the flavor and consistency is like a hard boiled yam.  I like the flavor eventhough it's unripe but I still would like to know what type this is.  It's not completely dry like the hardboiled egg yolk but it's not too moist either.  This is my first time eating a lucuma.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »
Hi xshen,

Perhaps you can identify the lucuma type from the shape of the leaves. It looks like they differ a little between the soft and the hard types. More info here:

http://mundani-garden.blogspot.com/2012/02/lucumo-of-peru-gift-from-andes.html

(this link has already been posted on the forum but I cannot find it)

Tomas

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:18:55 PM »
Tomas, thank you very,very, very much!! Haven't completely read yet but great way to differentiate between the two!! never saw this infor before great!Now if both of my trees come back!(freeze) 

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:25:30 PM »
I agree.  Thanks so much for the info.  It's very I formative.

Scott, would you able to tell me what were your source for the two lucuma you have?

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 10:31:06 PM »
I got both trees same year or year apart a C.R.F.G. annual conference! Orange County or Riverside! I'd have to look up for sure!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »
cool info Tomas.. looks like palo has a more shiny leaf, with more pronounced venation, especially on the underside of the leaf.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 11:10:59 PM »
I will be checking some leaves tomorrow, for sure!
Thank you Tomas!

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 11:29:38 PM »
Hi,

Just thought that I would add something about the Lucuma types. It's not completely true that there are only 2 distinct types of Lucuma. A friend of mine in Peru (the land of Lucuma), told me that there are actually 3 separate types that are commerically grown in Peru: soft (la seda), semi-hard (semi dura), and hard (la dura o palo).

It would be interesting to see some picture. Probably most of you have the hard type.

Tomas

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »
Does the dry type of lucuma have the mealy texture of a really over ripe watermelon where the flesh is really dry and will crumble easily?  The one I tried was very smooth and not crumbly.  I wish it had more moisture to it but I think part of the problem was it was not a ripe fruit.  If what I ate was the dry type, I wouldn't mind eating more of it.  I thought it was pleasant tasting.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:42:19 PM by xshen »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »
Max if you tasted canestal that's  Lucuma great for smoothie
Fullerton A. Had canistel go and try them

Here are pics of the jacotecaba at the Fullerton arboretum two weeks ago

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 12:55:13 PM »
Checked my lucuma, thanks to the link I know it is the "dry" type (la dura o palo).  Fruit is more like a sweet potato, not really dry or crumbly.  The tree is about 10 feet tall, survived without damage this year's 24 degree frost.  Last freeze (19 degrees) it was killed down to 3 ft from the ground. Two fruits are hanging.  Tree was obtained from David Silber many many years ago. Lots of blossoms each year, but just 3 or 4 fruit yearly.  Seeds germinate readily allowing me to have several other lucumas growing around.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »
Nice to know that there's no frost damage at 24 degrees. 

I thought David silber have the moist type.  If what I had was the dry lucuma, I really want to try the moist type.  Anyone have fruit to sell?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 03:10:12 PM »
According to Alex silber I don't fertilize my lucuma often enough. I should be feeding it something like once or twice a month and it should be pushing much more. The locusts like to eat the leaves, unfortunately.

If the tree at quail garden is the hard type then it's not crumbly texture. It's hard to scoop it out. Maybe something like an under ripe avocado or a dense brownie. I picked it when it had yellow and the skin was cracking.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 05:26:58 PM »
Has anyone ever tried grafting lucumas and have experience to share?  I did some stealth pruning and cleft grafted a scion from the 30 years old tree onto my lucuma seedling.  I used the terminal bud and trimmed the leaves in half. I kept about 4-5 leaves and bagged it with a ziplock bag.

Fang, if you ever prune the lucuma you got from Silber, please keep a stick or two for me.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »
Checked my lucuma, thanks to the link I know it is the "dry" type (la dura o palo).  Fruit is more like a sweet potato, not really dry or crumbly.  The tree is about 10 feet tall, survived without damage this year's 24 degree frost.  Last freeze (19 degrees) it was killed down to 3 ft from the ground. Two fruits are hanging.  Tree was obtained from David Silber many many years ago. Lots of blossoms each year, but just 3 or 4 fruit yearly.  Seeds germinate readily allowing me to have several other lucumas growing around.

There are dry types of lucumas that are almost powdery in texture....very hard to eat out of hand. Those are the ones used for making flour and for adding as flavoring to ice cream. Then there are the moist types that are a pleasure to eat out of hand. And probalby everything in between these 2 extremes. Lucuma is a fruit that has been cultivated for several thousand years, so i think there is a lot of diversity in Peru, Chile, and some other parts of the Andes.
Oscar

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
Looks like I got the in between. Thanks for everyone's help. The fruit I ate was definitely not powdery at all.  The moisture level was a bit on the low side but texture was smooth.  If I over water the tree, would this increase the moisture level in the fruit?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 08:46:56 PM »
Looks like I got the in between. Thanks for everyone's help. The fruit I ate was definitely not powdery at all.  The moisture level was a bit on the low side but texture was smooth.  If I over water the tree, would this increase the moisture level in the fruit?

Doubt watering would help. We get loads of rain here and dry canistels are still going to be dry.
Oscar

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »
I got my budwood from a friend in cal. from a tree  of David Silber stock it was called a lowland lucuma.
 Looks like Lucuma de Seda ssp. I grafted them on canistal rootstock

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:35:42 AM by TREESNMORE »
Mike

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
Nice looking tree TREESNMORE.  I topworked my lucuma seedling and it's about the size of your tree.  The leaves of the scion I took looks about the same too.  I'll get some pictures up if the scion starts to push.  If the grafts dont take, I'll go back to get some photos of the mature tree.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 11:19:37 AM »
Hello TREESNMORE,

May I ask what is the reason you used canistel as rootstock?

Tomas

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »
I got my budwood from a friend in cal. from a tree  of David Silber stock it was called a lowland lucuma.
 Looks like Lucuma de Seda ssp. I grafted them on canistal rootstock

Great job Mike! Those trees look awesome

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk