Author Topic: Purple guava rot ☠️  (Read 599 times)

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
Purple guava rot ☠️
« on: August 03, 2021, 04:56:06 PM »
Hi friends,
I was waiting on a huge Thai giant white guava that almost outgrew the mesh bag (as they always do) when I noticed that half the fruit was rotten. The fruit was away from soil, hanging high in a well aerated area. When I cut the fruit it was weirder than fiction... the rot was purple in color  😈  :o
Have you ever had this kind of rot? What could it be, and what could be the reason? This is the first time I see guava rot so drastically out of all my guava trees... hope it won't spread....

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Purple guava rot ☠️
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 02:46:24 AM »
Other than the horrid  appearance, how did it taste? :-) Just kidding... Outwardly it looks like a sort of fungus I've never seen before, inside it looks like fruit fly damage but I don't see any larvae. Weird.

Perhaps when the fruit outgrew the mesh the skin was damaged allowing it to rot? Was it only on that one fruit?
Regards,

Gary

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
Re: Purple guava rot ☠️
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 09:24:10 AM »
Other than the horrid  appearance, how did it taste? :-) Just kidding... Outwardly it looks like a sort of fungus I've never seen before, inside it looks like fruit fly damage but I don't see any larvae. Weird.

Perhaps when the fruit outgrew the mesh the skin was damaged allowing it to rot? Was it only on that one fruit?

yeah that's funny, I thought to taste it first but it was too freaky looking... put it into the burn drum.
The fruit didn't outgrow the bag yet, was just filling up, so there was no rubbing... I first also thought it looked like a fungus but the black surface was smooth, with no spore imprint. This white guava has purplish tint to the flesh (cool white), probably due to the same chemical it developed this hue post mortem... I tried to google purple in white guavas and nothing comes up.
Yes, this is the first time it happened, hope the last.... previous fruit from that tree was probably the most outstanding guava i've tasted here in Florida.
No larvae, you are right. Bags work very well, I have bagged all the Thais but only half the barbie pinks this season, had more fruit than bags and was too distracted to buy more. The difference is stark, all the unbagged ones are full of larvae and ripen prematurely, I feed them to the fish, bunny and iguan named Ivan who lost a foot so he's on a special provision)) he is employed as the lawn mower and doesn't destroy anything, gets treats every now and again.
the bagged ones are clean as a whistle and huge. Bagging makes a great difference here.
I read recently that flies lay eggs into almost ripe fruit, but in my experience if I bag fruit that is bigger than a walnut it already has eggs in it. So flies use very small, green unripe fruit to lay eggs, almost right after flowering, maybe after a week... hope it helps someone to avoid this problem in the future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk