Author Topic: Using Lake Water for Irrigation  (Read 1826 times)

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
Using Lake Water for Irrigation
« on: April 26, 2015, 03:38:35 PM »
Does anyone do this and if so do the risks outweigh the benefit? My neighbor uses a pump to water all of his plants (mostly palms and bananas) and they look great; but most of my plants are edible and the fruits would be given to my son who is still very young. There is a large stand of cypress in the middle of the lake that may filter out some of the pollutants, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the topic. Would this be any less safe than using well water?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Using Lake Water for Irrigation
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 04:00:56 PM »
Does anyone do this and if so do the risks outweigh the benefit? My neighbor uses a pump to water all of his plants (mostly palms and bananas) and they look great; but most of my plants are edible and the fruits would be given to my son who is still very young. There is a large stand of cypress in the middle of the lake that may filter out some of the pollutants, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the topic. Would this be any less safe than using well water?

I'll bet your groundwater is supplied by the lake so if your trees are reasonably mature they're probably getting filtered water from there. If you're worried you can have the water periodically tested, perhaps your community would be interested in pooling its resources to know the health of the water too?

My well probably gets much of its water from nearby canals, and I use it for most of my irrigation needs despite the slim possibility of ground water contamination. The other option is chlorinated city water which may not be bad for me, but may not be the best solution for fruiting trees.

Regards,

Gary

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 04:13:14 PM »
I would test and roll with it. I would also use flood/drip irrigation for the veggies.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 06:42:44 PM »
Great. Thanks a lot fellas. I'll search to see if there's anywhere local that can test my water and go from there.

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:22:52 PM »
I'm curious what pollutants can wind up in the fruit?  I've heard lead, and maybe arsenic....    But there has to be more.. On the other side of the spectrum I've heard soil can filter out a lot of stuff.   Then the osmosis the tree uses to get water from the ground to the leaves and fruit can also filter a lot of the bad stuff.   But still would be great to know what can get through.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 09:25:19 PM »
I'm curious what pollutants can wind up in the fruit?  I've heard lead, and maybe arsenic....    But there has to be more.. On the other side of the spectrum I've heard soil can filter out a lot of stuff.   Then the osmosis the tree uses to get water from the ground to the leaves and fruit can also filter a lot of the bad stuff.   But still would be great to know what can get through.

yeah, that's what i am trying to figure out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk