Author Topic: Dupuis Avocado Trees - "As cold hardy as Mango Trees" .....Really?  (Read 1339 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
I had been considering planting a Dupuis Avocado tree, but was warned against it as they were supposedly susceptible to the cold even in 10B and I live in 9B.  Then I read this on about Dupuis on Squam's website:

Dupuis Avocado - "CAN BE GROWN WHEREVER MANGO TREES CAN BE GROWN" 

Well I have plenty of Mango trees and they have never gotten burned or suffered from the cold YET.  So what is it?  Are Dupuis a safe bet in my area or would I be wasting my time, money & effort?  Normally I wouldn't bother, but Dupuis is supposed to be an exceptional variety.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:51:07 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Dupuis Avocado Trees - "As cold hardy as Mango Trees" .....Really?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 05:32:36 PM »
I don't get avocado hardiness ratings,never seen them have damage in cold snaps but have seen mangos damaged .

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 07:20:58 PM »
I’ve no knowledge of this cultivar, but 9b is a large zone, and microclimates within it will of course abound. Zones are a great starting point for ideas of what plants will easily succeed, but they can extend considerable distances and the temperature will be colder/milder the farther north/south someone is located within one. You could get away with mangos and sensitive avocados (and many other tropical plants) for several years in the southern end of 9b with only occasional need for serious protection. Hardy cultivars and plants might not need any. Here in the northern end of 9b, plants damaged at 28-30 degrees need foresight for planting location as well as protection during the medium to hard freezes that occur every 2-4 years.

Along with location in a zone, microclimates also play a massive role. I know of a couple 40 foot mangos just 10 miles from me that fruit considerably in most years. These trees are located just 15 feet from a large lake, receive full sun from southern exposure in winter, and are surrounded by a stand of 50-60 foot live oaks on their northern side. Basically, the perfect microclimate for this area, and these trees are basically living in 10a.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 05:05:29 PM »
I love Dupuis, keep in mind not a great producer. Needs a pollinator that "It likes" A long juvenile period, even if grafted. It is 100% West indies It will be susceptible to cold.  A Simonds will be a good alternative.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 03:27:48 PM »
I love Dupuis, keep in mind not a great producer. Needs a pollinator that "It likes" A long juvenile period, even if grafted. It is 100% West indies It will be susceptible to cold.  A Simonds will be a good alternative.

Carlos would you agree that Dupuis (Catalina also) will do okay anywhere mangoes do okay? I have no problems with Mangoes here in 9B.  Have plenty of cado trees I'm mostly interested on flavor....production less important. 

So do you think I can grow Dupuis and/or Catalina? I am located in 9B about 7-8 miles from the Gulf.  I had ruled these varieties out till now.  Thanks.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »
I do not have any experience to agree or not with the statement.  Check historical records in your area and see how many times it drop bellow 31 F and for how long
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County