Author Topic: What subtropical (Prunus) stone fruits have you guys been collecting?  (Read 238 times)

djseaquist

• United States, California, Escondido, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I'm not talking about low chill varieties of common stone fruits such as peaches or cherries, but those uncommon stone fruit species that come from warmer climates.

Right now I have Capulin Cherry (Prunus salicifolia) & Catalina Cherry (Prunus lyonii).

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
Re: What subtropical (Prunus) stone fruits have you guys been collecting?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 10:22:43 AM »
i have those two as well and i'm interested in finding prunus mexicana

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: What subtropical (Prunus) stone fruits have you guys been collecting?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 03:50:29 PM »
I am collecting wild plums from the local area. Mostly, this is part of my search for a long lived/idealy adapted plum rootstock with low suckering. However, some may be worth cultivating in their own right--especially for jelley (similar to the cottage industry for Beach Plum in the north east). They appear to be mostly the Florida variant of P. umbellata (Flatwoods Plum) with introgresion from either P. angustifolia (Chickisaw Plum) or P. geniculata (Scrub Plum) based on the particular specimine. I have been able to observe one of tree for almost 30 years. It appears to be an Umbellata x Geniculata hybrid and has had 100% full bloom even in years with only about 40 hours of chill. I presume that it would still fruit even with much less than that. I have also observed P. serotina and believe this to be the southern end of its range as well. P. caroliniana is very common here but holds no interest for me since the fruit is not really edible.