Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 5339 times)

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
Hurricane Sandy
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:23:26 PM »
Just wondering if anyone that is on here is in the caribbean and experience any damage to their trees from this storm. Pompano has had gusts in the high 50s tonight, with the strongest weather supposed to be happening tomorrow. OF COURSE I am on shift tomorrow and wont be able to watch after all my new plants and trees, just hoping nothing snaps...

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 11:31:15 PM »
Down here in the D.R.  besides the three days of rain,  no damage to any of my plants.

Was just reading an article, this storm is supposed  to head into the New England area, and merge with a winter storm,  and another storm, sounds like something out of a Sci Fi disaster movie.  not going to be pretty for the folks up north.  The Media doesn't lose a beat, they are calling this the "Frankenstorm"
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »
Bermuda has a tropical storm watch in effect.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »
Raining like crazy here and very windy. The only real concern is that some of my potted trees keep getting knocked over. We keep picking them up and the wind knocks them over again. So over they stay until tomorrow when hopefully the gusty stuff stops. It appears that NJ and the surrounding areas will get it worse than we did. Good luck.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:51:40 PM »
Lost a few large branches this evening, by far the strongs winds occured after 6pm this evening..

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
I lost about forty or so choc anon mangoes that are a little to early to ripen when part of a palm tree fell on it. There are still some hanging on for all you choc anon lovers out there. :P. There will be some major salt burn on a lot of stuff after these onshore winds, my windows are crusted with salt.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »
I lost about forty or so choc anon mangoes that are a little to early to ripen when part of a palm tree fell on it. There are still some hanging on for all you choc anon lovers out there. :P. There will be some major salt burn on a lot of stuff after these onshore winds, my windows are crusted with salt.

What a tragedy for such off season mangoes....that you get to give up fruit in the off season

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »
all my pots are blown over...and I'm just letting them lay there until the winds slow down.

I think wind is the most destructive force to growers world wide (as far as weather goes).

I always thought it was cold..but its the wind that rips open your greenhouse plastic and swirls the cold air around plants to harm them!

Wind never agitated me so much, now that I care for plants.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »
On Friday, I got home and found my best Papaya on the ground. TS Sandy has brought gusts of 40 to 50mph and steady winds of over 25mph.  Earlier this season TS Isaac made it lean so I reinforced it with rebar stakes but TS Sandy knocked her down with a big load of fruit.  I may try to right her once the winds die down to see if I can salvage some fruit. Sandy also knocked off most of my Pantin mamey crop.  Really sucks!  No other major damage so I am OK.  Could have been much worse if we took a direct hit.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:19:54 PM by FloridaGreenMan »
FloridaGreenMan

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 05:24:07 PM »
What is amazing with Sandy is how far from center its tropical storm strength winds extend, and the amount of rain.  all our biggest gust happened when the storm center was over 400 miles from us.

Today we have had our first sunny day, its nice out.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 04:08:56 AM »
Good luck with Sandy those in the firing line.It looks like complex effects.Good luck in Hawaii and I hope the Tsunami doesn't come.The jams don't look good.In 25 minutes or so the tale will be known.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »
I did totally underestimate this storm.

it's timing is impeccably horrible...coupled with the a nice winter chill.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
a couple of the guys at one of the fire stations in boynton beach planted a CC mango and an unknown cultivar of avocado a couple months ago, both 7 gallon. just checked on them and the CC is still looking fine and healthy with no wind damage, although another thread on here talks about that... but the avocado snapped above the graft from the strong winds.

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
Funny you mention the Caribbean... this storm is now about to make a direct hit in my area (pretty weird for a hurricane).  I'm hoping we don't loose power (but since we loose power even for weak storms we probably will be without power for days).

My plants are all outside to soak up the rain (I had them in the garage awaiting the transfer to inside the house).

Unlike everywhere else people in the DC area get freaked out every time either snow or rain is predicted and people hoard groceries.  On Saturday some grocery stores had already run out of some supplies.

Having grown up in the Chicago area (where people don't freak out for storms) I have a very cynical attitude to the doom and gloom weather reports we get here.  As a result I never take anything seriously (weather wise) until I see it.  Even though this is a real hurricane I'm still feeling that way and will probably feel that way until the 60 mph winds start hitting.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
Just a few tips for those not used to losing power.

If you use a portable generator,  make sure the generator is placed far away, so fumes are not breathed, many people have died because they place a generator outside the window or door, garage etc.

Clean water is #1 priority, sometimes water from tap may become contaminated, or stop flowing.  if could use a small hand filter like hikers use, and/or Iodine tablets.  boiling as last resort, remember, boiling kills bacteria, but wont get rid of toxic chemicals in water.

In warmer areas, make sure you have repellent, no power means your windows will be open, after the rains mosquito will drive you nuts.

In cold areas, have the blankets ready.

Food,  some cheap survival food,  Lipton dinners, cost like a dollar or so, and are easily prepared, with boiled water.  they are also lightweight, unlike cans.   Macaroni and cheese, same story.  when I used to hike, I could carry 14 days of food in my backpack.  also instant oatmeal and rice.

have a first aid kit around, add a few of these items if missing from that kit.  tweezers, splints, heavy bandages, extra iodine or similar antiseptic.   at the surplus army navy stores you can get some nice items for your 1st aid kit.

If your toughing it out, have a prepared bug out bag, cloths etc. in case you have to leave fast, something you can grab in a second, and wont be without anything in the street.

----------------------------------

I have made 72 hour emergency kits for my sisters in California.  and I always used to keep a 72 hour emergency kit in my car. that had DATREX bars ( emergency food ) water pouches, and things like this:

* rain poncho   * emergency blanket * extra set of comfortable cloths, and shoes * toilet paper, matches in zip lock bag * LED flashlight * Pocket knife with can opener, spoon * map of area * Chemical light * really good 1st aid kit * hand crank radio * baseball cap, sunscreen, chap stick *  rope * Pen and paper * magnesium fire starter * even surgical masks * whistle compass.

All these items were in a backpack, and kept in the trunk. in case of an Earthquake, or other disaster you could bug out.   In my kit I even had a gas mask with couple of canisters, i got cheap for like 10 bucks. a cheapo surplus Chernobyl dosage meter, Iodine tablets for Nuclear accidents.  a Major earthquake can cause a nuclear accident ( Like Japan ).

not that I am a prepper or anything, but its just peace of mind that for 50-100 bucks you can be prepared.  If your at work, and there is a major quake, you are not driving home, you are walking, if your commute is 20 miles, it could take you over a day to get home on foot, specially if you have to avoid some areas.

Any "help" from government agencies usually takes 2-3 days to arrive. so at minimum you have to have at least 72 hours of supplies.  and in a general large scale disaster, ( earthquake, Hurricane ) help could take even longer.

I highly recommend people keep a small emergency kit in their trunk and/or homes.  there are some nasty faultlines, like New Madrid,  even in New York.  the east coast and west coasts  are susceptible to tsunamis, with only a few hours warning at most, you will probably not be able to evacuate in time.  Mid west are the tornadoes,  so every area has baddies.

the kits are maintained by replacing the datrex, water pouches every 5 years, batteries in flashlight every year or two.  if the hand crank radio has a built in flashlight you may not have to worry about batteries.
William

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »
@Tropicdude

I don't know what your cooking fuel is in DR. But here in South Florida just about all houses use electric stoves. I learned the hard way in 2005 with our hurricane where power was out for ten days. Now I have a cheapo two burner stove, same as is used all over the third world. It was easy to hook up to your standard BBQ propane tank  (4.5 gallons or 20 lbs)  to it. With power out you obviously can cook on your BBQ grill but it's a waste of gas unless you are grilling meat etc. But in a bad situation you can still cook some brown rice and beans (I have those modestly stockpiled) to get you by for a while and with ye ol' basic two burner stove. Plus hopefully I have some seasonal fruit on my trees and perhaps vegetables

Stove I have looks like this. Got it at Swap Shop for $15 a while back. You can find them at Harbor Freight too

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:04:24 PM by zands »

natsgarden123

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »
@Tropicdude

I don't know what your cooking fuel is in DR. But here in South Florida just about all houses use electric stoves. I learned the hard way in 2005 with our hurricane where power was out for ten days. Now I have a cheapo two burner stove, same as is used all over the third world. It was easy to hook up to your standard BBQ propane tank  (4.5 gallons or 20 lbs)  to it. With power out you obviously can cook on your BBQ grill but it's a waste of gas unless you are grilling meat etc. But in a bad situation you can still cook some brown rice and beans (I have those modestly stockpiled) to get you by for a while and with ye ol' basic two burner stove. Plus hopefully I have some seasonal fruit on my trees and perhaps vegetables

Stove I have looks like this. Got it at Swap Shop for $15 a while back. You can find them at Harbor Freight too

In the 1970's , we were hit with an ice storm in NY. It was beautiful-everything covered with icicles...but we lost our electric for 7 days. We were freezing cold.  My Dad used the BBQ for cooking. 

Just checked NOAA- looks like NJ is going to get the most of it. My brother in Utica ,  way upstate NY,  is going to get up to 60 mph gusts-that's how big this is.   

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »
@Tropicdude

yeah my mom had to get one after Wilma, she has Electric stoves,  she had a real bad experience, the power was out for almost a month, they fixed the power in the area in about 7 days up to the house next to hers, and took another three weeks or so after that to get it working,  the neighbor was kind enough to put in an extension, so she could watch tv, run a fan have a light .  but she purchased one of those propane camping stoves, a single burner version similar to what you posted.  which worked well.

No power, no roof, no problem, but no coffee? that is unbearable !!  :D ;D
William

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 06:25:36 PM »
cold on the way!

central FL cacaos and guanabanas beware!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 12:01:05 AM »
Hope all who are in harms way don't get harmed. Out here in Ca. we we just get earth quakes :-\

ricocecargill

• Thank GOD For Life
    • Bahamas, Grand Bahama, Freeport,10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
Good night. The damages were a little extensive on the surface here in Grand Bahama, Bahamas. We got a whole lot of folding in low line areas as expected, and a lot of wind damage to the trees. I will try to post some pre and current pictures of my own garden later in the week. But the old folks tell me that the wind damaged stuff will recover.

However, life is still great and we are use to getting CAT 2s-5s constantly every year and at time multiple times in one season. But we live on and count our blessing no matter what hits.
Behave in the image that GOD created us in. Cultivate the earth with good seed so our children and other behind us can reap good fruits.