Author Topic: Cherimoya Scions for Sale - Pre-Orders Open Now for Sep 2020 Pruning  (Read 30780 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya Scions for Sale - Ongoing, Sale Stops on Mar 30th.
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »
Dormancy is set in when all leaves drop naturally, that happens in my yard around late April to early May.

Did you mean they come out of dormancy late April?

Also, are you inferring that the cold storage will put them into a state of dormancy (even though were shipped dormant) and screw them up so they don't "wake up"

Sorry, am damn confused LOL.  ;D

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
Dormancy is set in when all leaves drop naturally, that happens in my yard around late April to early May.

Did you mean they come out of dormancy late April?

Also, are you inferring that the cold storage will put them into a state of dormancy (even though were shipped dormant) and screw them up so they don't "wake up"

Dormancy is dependent upon location you are in a and your temps. If you put wood in refrigerator (assuming not below 45F), when you graft they wake up instantly given your hot temps outside. it actually helps. but viability goes down each day they are not grafted. All wood that I sent was sealed at cut ends, but needs to be buddy taped and stored properly. it could be stored for up to 10 days.

Sorry, am damn confused LOL.  ;D

kaka

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2018, 05:41:24 PM »
Got the package.  They are very professionally packaged. Thank you for the free scions. 

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2018, 08:26:51 PM »
Dormancy is dependent upon location you are in a and your temps. If you put wood in refrigerator (assuming not below 45F), when you graft they wake up instantly given your hot temps outside. it actually helps. but viability goes down each day they are not grafted. All wood that I sent was sealed at cut ends, but needs to be buddy taped and stored properly. it could be stored for up to 10 days.

Got it, thanks for the info.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2018, 12:23:58 AM »
I just received the shipping label created email. Thanks

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya Scions for Sale - Ongoing, Sale Stops on Apr 15th.
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2018, 12:29:29 PM »
All orders have been fulfilled. shipment went out today. Last call to anyone who missed. got limited varieties left now. trees are going dormant here and new growth will be full swing late Aprl

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2018, 07:50:40 AM »
All orders have been fulfilled. shipment went out today. Last call to anyone who missed. got limited varieties left now. trees are going dormant here and new growth will be full swing late Aprl

Dumb question, because I know nothing about annona physiology - why are they going dormant now?  Like other trees don't they respond to increasing temps and/or day length?  My grafts are all pushing well, I just need a feel of what's coming next.

Thanks

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2018, 08:46:16 AM »
Because Anona new growth leafs out from under leaf node, as node swells, leaf falls allowing new growth. Makes sense?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »
Because Anona new growth leafs out from under leaf node, as node swells, leaf falls allowing new growth. Makes sense?

Yep, am witnessing that, which to me means it actively kicking butt.  :D

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
yep Mark. note that I strip leaves and expose nodes 1-week before harvesting wood, so they are full of energy and ready to pop. Most folks should get high rate of success given weather and time of the year and grafting skills. should be over 90% success.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »
most folks who got wood 2 weeks ago must have gotten takes (non- CA) as its warmer elsewhere.

vincenton

• US, West Covina CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2018, 06:48:24 PM »
Behl,

I'm not outside SoCal, but some of my scions from you have started pushing. Way too early to out of the woods but I am very hopeful.

Vincent.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2018, 06:51:28 PM »
Behl,

I'm not outside SoCal, but some of my scions from you have started pushing. Way too early to out of the woods but I am very hopeful.

Vincent.

glad to hear. So Cal is getting a mini heat wave today and last 2 and next 3 days are going to be in high 80's, enough to push new grafts.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2018, 01:14:55 AM »
I just grafted the scions last week and also this weekend. Hope one set will take.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2018, 07:52:40 AM »
Been weird weather here from hot to damn cold a couple of days ago - 37F.  It's 41F now at 6:50 a.m.  All of my grafts are pushing including two iffy veneer.  Removed the rubber bands and the buddy tape covering the veneer grafts and the top of the chopped off rootstock is brown and firm.  Rest are cleft drafts.  So, multigrafted tree has 1 Pierce, 1 Sabor, and 2 Behl from my order and 2 gifted Campas sticks.....all are pushing well.   

Thanks again for the nice wood!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2018, 08:57:42 AM »
Mark, don't remove tape for at least 6 plus weeks. Size of scions I sent to all, you can tie to rootstock using buddy tape and will not have to remove it. Union is fragile at this stage.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »
All orders have been fulfilled. thanks for ordering and best of luck for takes. I did my best in sending you all prime wood.  Only few varieties left, while trees are starting to push new growth while leaves have not been shed yet. if anyone wants more, look at what is left, that is all I can fulfill.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
Mark, don't remove tape for at least 6 plus weeks. Size of scions I sent to all, you can tie to rootstock using buddy tape and will not have to remove it. Union is fragile at this stage.

I used rubber bands and removed them.   It's been over 3 weeks since I grafted.  Buddy tape will stay on.  I'll treat them with TLC.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2018, 10:38:42 AM »
cool. the key to anona grafting that I found was to carefully remove entire leaf and expose the buds, if you do that prep work, in 48-72 hrs your wood is prime for harvest and will take in less than 7 days.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2018, 01:53:12 PM »
When I received my scions there was still mid 30s weather in our forecast so I felt it was a bad time to graft. Did some searching on this forum and found some old threads where people said cherimoya scions could last in the refrigerator for at least a month. Well that was probably bad advice. I put them in the fridge for two weeks until our weather improved. When I grafted them the scions were all still green but the buds had mostly turned black. I grafted anyway. That was two weeks ago and nothing has pushed yet.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2018, 02:10:47 PM »
When I received my scions there was still mid 30s weather in our forecast so I felt it was a bad time to graft. Did some searching on this forum and found some old threads where people said cherimoya scions could last in the refrigerator for at least a month. Well that was probably bad advice. I put them in the fridge for two weeks until our weather improved. When I grafted them the scions were all still green but the buds had mostly turned black. I grafted anyway. That was two weeks ago and nothing has pushed yet.

You can possibly put wood in refrigerator only if you wrapped the wood with buddy tape and sealed them well. Cherimoya scions are to be grafted immediately for best results. Sub 40% temp grafting would not have harmed them as your refrigerator was about the same temp.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya Scions for Sale - Ongoing, Sale Stops on Apr 30th.
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2018, 12:05:20 PM »
Cut my thumb (no, not using X-Acto) so I am not cutting anything for about 10-days. That being said, if you have paid after last shipment that went out Week so, I will not be shipping anything until Apr 25th or after. So if you thought you missed out, here is still time to get the order in. End of April I will be hacking everything.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2018, 04:41:52 PM »
Some good news - I'm seeing buds push on two grafts - one Deliciosa and one Campos. The rest aren't budging. Oh well, at least my mistake with the fridge wasn't a total loss.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2018, 10:50:06 AM »
Oh well, at least my mistake with the fridge wasn't a total loss.

Good to know.  I understand Behl's urgency to graft quickly upon receipt as he wants everyone to be successful but by the same token I don't see why cherimoya would be any different than some other varieties.  I've had good takes on citrus and avocado that were stored in the fridge for at least 6 weeks.  You keep them very slightly damp and at about 36F.  Wet your hand and sling some water droplets into the bag is all you need.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2018, 03:32:51 PM »
its all in chances of takes Mark, 35 to 40 degrees Anona wood will stay dormant if grafted while union healing continues.