Author Topic: A New Maha Chanok Convert  (Read 23375 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
A New Maha Chanok Convert
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »
I finally got to try the Harry Chanok at its perfect state of ripeness, and I have to say that Hausman was right -- it's a stellar mango. It's a bit like a cross between nam doc and sweet tart mango: super sweet with a subtle sub acid and the "coca cola" flavor near the rind. Yummy.

My tree, which I grafted from a Harry Chanok 3 or 4 years ago is in a 15 gal pot and rooted into the ground. This year it produced around a dozen mangoes. Looks like I'm finally going to plant her out in the yard :-).
Jeff  :-)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: A New Maha Chanok Convert
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 08:22:02 PM »
Coca cola?! Now I done heard it all!!  What flavor can mangoes not impersonate seems to be the better question

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »
Good to know. I will have to wait on mine at least another year before I get even one fruit. I hope to finally taste it this year, but I don't know where to get one nearby except if I get to the Miami Mango Festival this year and they have one, or Roberts Is Here in Homestead happens to get some. Last year, neither had any, nor had a lot of people I asked even heard of it.

Anybody who knows where I can try one in the extreme SFL area, let me know! Would Fruit & Spice Park ever carry one?... No clue.

Anyway, in all this time of not trying it, I have been a bit worried that I will finally get one 2 or 3 years after planting and painstaking care, and realize I don't like it! I am always reassured to hear another person likes it.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 09:15:28 PM »
I finally got to try the Harry Chanok at its perfect state of ripeness, and I have to say that Hausman was right -- it's a stellar mango. It's a bit like a cross between nam doc and sweet tart mango: super sweet with a subtle sub acid and the "coca cola" flavor near the rind. Yummy.

My tree, which I grafted from a Harry Chanok 3 or 4 years ago is in a 15 gal pot and rooted into the ground. This year it produced around a dozen mangoes. Looks like I'm finally going to plant her out in the yard :-).

I would say that I hate being right all the time......but that would be a lie. A perfectly ripe Maha is heaven on earth. My four trees are all on different schedules. My best producer from last year didn't bloom this year.  One tree is just maturing  fruit now. One has fruit about 3-4 weeks until maturity and the last might be 6-8 weeks away.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 11:51:12 PM »
HAHA Yah, I think the ones I got from your trees were overripe. This was the first time I got to eat one harvested from my own tree and where I could experiment with the eating stage. It seems like it's perfect to eat when the floral scent peaks out (about a day or two after harvesting).

I would say that I hate being right all the time......but that would be a lie. A perfectly ripe Maha is heaven on earth. My four trees are all on different schedules. My best producer from last year didn't bloom this year.  One tree is just maturing  fruit now. One has fruit about 3-4 weeks until maturity and the last might be 6-8 weeks away.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 12:21:59 AM »
the complexity of the flavor is what draws me in!  like 8 flavors in one fruit...

I love how slow the tree grows...seems like all the best fruits come from slow growing trees!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:24:47 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 08:14:51 AM »
That's another one on my "must try" list!
John

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 10:18:53 AM »
a cross between nam doc and sweet tart mango: super sweet with a subtle sub acid and the "coca cola" flavor near the rind. Yummy.

You had me at the sub acid & "coca cola flavor"!   :D

I planted a tree in summer 2013 and this year it held onto just one fruit. 

I can't wait to try it and get it just ripe.

Rob said to wait until the skin gets yellow before picking. How did your judge yours was ripe and ready to pick, Cookie Monster?

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 10:20:23 AM »
Maha is on the last mango plant list....I have yet to taste one however

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
Last year  was my first harvest/taste and I thought it was missing something. The aroma was amazing but it never carried through in the taste. I'm hoping this year's crop, 40+ fruit, will have that full flavor.  I have an Excalibur tree.
JC

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »
lol, surprised you don't have a laser sensor, security system for that mango!

or hire a security guard with a pellet gun, day shift for squirrels, night shift for racoons!

a cross between nam doc and sweet tart mango: super sweet with a subtle sub acid and the "coca cola" flavor near the rind. Yummy.

You had me at the sub acid & "coca cola flavor"!   :D

I planted a tree in summer 2013 and this year it held onto just one fruit. 

I can't wait to try it and get it just ripe.

Rob said to wait until the skin gets yellow before picking. How did your judge yours was ripe and ready to pick, Cookie Monster?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 11:36:12 AM »
These seem to grow painfully slow.
Mine has had exactly one flush in about 18 months after being planted as a 3-gallon.  And the flush wasn't very aggressive, maybe adding a couple inches to the plant and singular branching. Tree's in a good spot, and being treated well with all its needs.

Man this thing is slow growing, even my Julie is like lightning compared to this...and other members seem to have the same experience.
always longing for a JA Julie

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
These seem to grow painfully slow.
Mine has had exactly one flush in about 18 months after being planted as a 3-gallon.  And the flush wasn't very aggressive, maybe adding a couple inches to the plant and singular branching. Tree's in a good spot, and being treated well with all its needs.

Man this thing is slow growing, even my Julie is like lightning compared to this...and other members seem to have the same experience.

Something is radically wrong with your Maha tree if this is an accurate statement.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 12:41:04 PM »
Last year  was my first harvest/taste and I thought it was missing something. The aroma was amazing but it never carried through in the taste. I'm hoping this year's crop, 40+ fruit, will have that full flavor.  I have an Excalibur tree.

Wow.. 40+ fruit your second fruit year?!?!?!  Great.  Can you post pictures of your tree?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »
Mine hasn't been that slow. It's been a perfect pace: not too fast and not too slow. It's 4 years old, if memory serves, and stands about 7 feet tall having lived its entire life in pots (that's about to change :-). This is the first year that I got a harvest, and it produced just over 20 mangoes.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if an under fertilized Harry Chanok were to grow excruciatingly slowly under nitrogen deficient growing conditions. I've seen gal nam doc mai trees (planted from 3gallon) literally put on 2 flushes in 5 years under such conditions. The Dr  Campbell nitrogen starvation technique isn't ideal for all mango trees. Some need traditional nitrogen input to grow and produce well. I suspect that lemon zest, for example, is one that prefers a traditional fertilization regimen.

Harry's soil, being primarily muck, is undoubtedly nutrient rich. My Harry Chanok is rooted out (from the pot) into a several inch layer of compost and seems to be very appreciative of same.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 01:12:15 PM »
Got a tree ripened maha off of my tree yesterday. Hopefully I'll be impressed :rollseyes: :D . I remember when I first got my maha 3gal from Excalibur, it took about 6-7 months in ground before it showed any growth flush what so ever. Then the rains came and it exploded. It is a very handsome tree that takes well to pruning and tipping- no disease issues what so ever. Comparing similairly aged trees, it's my 2nd most productive (Neelam being 1st).
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
Understanding that this cultivar is a slow grower, how big will the tree get if left to do its own thing inground?

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »
Sure, i will this evening.

Wow.. 40+ fruit your second fruit year?!?!?!  Great.  Can you post pictures of your tree?
JC

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 02:26:54 PM »
Understanding that this cultivar is a slow grower, how big will the tree get if left to do its own thing inground?
I have four trees. Two of them have been planted out for 20 years and two of them have been planted along the way since. Surprisingly, they are all more or less about the same size. The largest one maybe 15 feet tall the smallest one maybe 12 feet tall.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 02:44:06 PM »
they're 20yrs old and about 12-15 ft tall?

and you have never pruned them?

I have four trees. Two of them have been planted out for 20 years and two of them have been planted along the way since. Surprisingly, they are all more or less about the same size. The largest one maybe 15 feet tall the smallest one maybe 12 feet tall.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 02:54:38 PM »
I didn't but Hurricane Wilma did. 
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 03:52:26 PM »
My tree has a medium growth rate and at 2+ years in the ground I have about 15 fruit.

The interesting thing about this tree is that sometimes buds will swell to 1/4 of an inch and stop just before breaking.  They continue after 3+ months, pushing normal growth.
Brandon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 05:01:33 PM »
I didn't but Hurricane Wilma did.

I see!  so if it weren't for mother nature, and her little helper Wilma, how tall do you estimate your trees would have been ? (the tallest one?)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 05:10:42 PM »
If someone wants to buy a Maha Chanok tree call up/or email Mr Mike Bender at Benders Grove. He had some beautiful specimens when I was there a few weeks ago.

http://bendersgrove.com/  Benders Grove in Davie, Florida.

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 05:40:02 PM »
Harry,

Could you estimate an average yield (number of fruits per season) for an established Maha Chanok tree?