Author Topic: Neptune's Harvest Fish & Seaweed  (Read 4062 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Neptune's Harvest Fish & Seaweed
« on: December 05, 2016, 02:00:01 AM »
I heard good stuff about the product.
 Anyone using it? If so, how do your plants respond with it?

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: Neptune's Harvest Fish & Seaweed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 09:57:49 AM »
I went through a 5 gallon bucket. It is less smelly than the stuff I get from the wholesale supplier. Nothing but positive results here.
-Josh

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
Gozp,
Although I have not used it yet, I'm planning on switching to it.  I've read that my Alaska fish emulsion fertilizer has heavy metals in it and that Neptune is a better alternative.
Warren

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »

I went through a 5 gallon bucket. It is less smelly than the stuff I get from the wholesale supplier. Nothing but positive results here.

Yes it is less smelly than Alaska Fish Fert. I used to use Pure Protein Dry by organic Ag I got good results, however, i want to try Neptune's Harvest.

By stating you get positive results is it just pure neptune you put or u mix it with different products giving your tree?

Gozp,
Although I have not used it yet, I'm planning on switching to it.  I've read that my Alaska fish emulsion fertilizer has heavy metals in it and that Neptune is a better alternative.

Yes, brother. It even contains radiation accdng to my research friend. Try Pure Protein Dry by organic Ag its a goood product too.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 11:30:09 PM »
I use a very wide range of organic fertilizers of all sorts. There is no way to tell what did what in my yard. Sul-po-mag, potassium sulfate, bone meal, Mighty Grow, greensand, azomite, crab meal, raw milk, aerated worm tea, mulch, cover crops, mycorrhizae inoculants, hugs and kisses, urine........

I didn't have any negative effects shortly after use. It seemed like a quality product. I think they use a better process than the cheaper fish I picked up from the wholesaler. I researched it a while back but I can't remember the specifics.
-Josh

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 01:35:53 PM »
Wow. Nice list for loving your trees. Yours should be uber thriving. Haha

Do u ferment your urine before drenching?

Also, how many tablespoon per gallon of water u mix it with?
For indoor 1 tbsp per gall & for outdoor there is no tbsp written, but 1/8 cup. Lol

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 04:26:37 PM »
love the stuff think the bacteria in it helps breaks down everything else I give my trees.  I usually use half the dose as recommeded

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 01:29:07 PM »
It seems like there are only a few that are into organic fertilizer vs synthetic fertilzer?  ;D

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 02:27:47 PM »
My take is -- they don't have to be mutually exclusive. They can actually be complementary. You can build your soil with mulch, compost, biochar, or whatever and then "fill it" with conventionally sourced minerals. This is what I've done.

Oftentimes, the only difference between conventionally produced minerals and NOP-compliant (organic) minerals is the refining process. For example, potassium sources that use acids to extract the potassium are generally not NOP-compliant, but another extraction process which doesn't use acids can be NOP-compliant. But both processes require mining of a natural resource, some of which are not "renewable."

Synthetic nitrogen fertilizers are derived from methane gas. There is no shortage of methane gas.

As long as the soil is healthy (ie, due to the inclusion of organic matter such as mulch), the plants don't really care how the minerals were sourced. Even worm populations don't seem to care. They just want nice moist soil with plenty of organic material to munch on.

It seems like there are only a few that are into organic fertilizer vs synthetic fertilzer?  ;D
Jeff  :-)

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 02:28:53 PM »
I use a very wide range of organic fertilizers of all sorts. There is no way to tell what did what in my yard. Sul-po-mag, potassium sulfate, bone meal, Mighty Grow, greensand, azomite, crab meal, raw milk, aerated worm tea, mulch, cover crops, mycorrhizae inoculants, hugs and kisses, urine........

I didn't have any negative effects shortly after use. It seemed like a quality product. I think they use a better process than the cheaper fish I picked up from the wholesaler. I researched it a while back but I can't remember the specifics.

i used crab meal a while back, it was great stuff.
saw some real good results.
the chitin in it supposedly helps...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4838818/

lately ive been adding compost, along with other things like coffee ground, grass clippings, leaves etc...
then throwing a thin layer of woody mulch on top.
i even added compost worms in a few spots. the compost has to be rich and moist,
 or the worms will leaves after a while.
but if the environment is right for them, they will start laying eggs,
and you can get a worm-farm over your roots :)

more on Chitin and crab shells...

Crab shells have elevated levels of chitin, which encourages soil microorganisms to exude enzymes known as chitinases, which break down the chitin that's a part of nematode egg shells.

The existence of chitin within the fertilizer helps it be an all natural biopesticide that's non-toxic to animals, birds, plants and fish.

These kinds of “good guys” are able to break down the chitin contained in the egg shells of nematodes. This results in many fewer nematodes.

http://www.dazeys.com/blog/chitin-crab-shrimp/

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 03:52:38 PM »
I normally just wiz on the coconut palms or the banana circle if I have to go when I am working. I am currently in the process of taking all of my trees out, ripping up the irragation, and using an auger to bust up the compressed drained swamp land while adding pelletized sulfur, perlite, and a ton of biochar as well as a 3' deep root barrier around my property. Basically building a large area of acidic potting mix. I have been recording the process so far so hopefully I will have some sort of youtube series that will show the progress. I will be replacing almost all of the trees with my own grafted trees that I have been growing with custom soil mixes and rootmaker root pruning pots from seed and planting them on giant mounds.

My theories on soil health and fertilization are that I want a pH of 5.5 - 6.2, good drainage with plenty of oxygen in the soil, high amount of diverse soil biology including inoculation of mycorrhizae on tree roots and what I think is most important is having a well developed root system that has never been rootbound. I am saving up for large rain barrel tanks and when those run dry I will pump well water in and acidify it with sulfuric acid. I will have plenty of chop and drop trees and shrubs around to have an ever expanding and contracting rootzone with fresh, orgainic, highly mineralized mulch being continuously added. I like to think of it as a breathing system of nutrient and organic matter decomposition and reabsorbtion.
-Josh

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 12:37:48 AM »
used it also w good experience and that it doesn't smell.

used in smaller doses to avoid root burn but seemed to work well

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 12:45:44 AM »
New addition.

Was wondering what is the best kelp in the market right now?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 11:57:36 AM »
New addition.

Gonzocito

Those are expensive Christmas gifts for your trees

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 12:24:18 PM »
Professor, i used my amazon points for these.
Otherwise,.i wont be getting these.

What products do u use?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 05:34:20 PM »
New addition.

I have been using Maxicrop Soluble Kelp, I find that it is very soluble and reasonably prices. I usually buy their 44 lb package and subdivided it into 11 lb bags and apply every 4 months. They have a growers price on this 44 lb and last I paid 393.00 shipping included about 8.00 a lb for very hi octane Kelp
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk