Author Topic: Lancetilla - 7.75 when FULLY ripened - Surprisingly Beats Out Kent & Keitt  (Read 2554 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Lancetilla due to their size take much longer to fully ripen on the counter then expected. Seemed to be at least 7-10 days. Once fully ripened they are similar to Kent in texture and flavor, tho there is a slight tartness to Lancetilla that gives it the edge over Kent. It is also later than Kent apparently. Once ripened they are very good with a traditional mango flavor with no fiber & no resinous overtones.  Anyone liking Kent or Mallika would probably like Lancetilla also. 

With Lancetilla and other large Mangoes the most enjoyable experience is to just peel them whole and dive right in face first Viking/Commando style and get disgustingly sloppy.  Large mangoes can fool you - they take longer to ripen than you think.  Lancetilla is listed as a September mango as such it needs more consideration for those looking for a good tasting LATE mango that is tasty and a fun "over the sink" eating experience.  If anyone knows how late into September in SW Florida they last please advise.  Quite surprisingly Lancetilla has snuck onto my short list for a late mango variety for the dooryard.   IMHO it beats out the other lates Keitt & Kent for flavor by a narrow margin and may be more disease resistant as well.     

PS - Never doubt "Shot" the man knows his mangoes.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 09:27:06 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Lancetilla - The reason the word "meh" was invented : )
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 01:49:00 PM »
Lancetilla  can be  good like a very sweet kent, but it takes finesse in growing and picking and knowing when to eat .My tree was loaded this year the most I think it ever had.
That being said I would not plant unless you have extra room,acres.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 01:54:53 PM »
Lancetilla  can be  good like a very sweet kent, but it takes finesse in growing and picking and knowing when to eat .My tree was loaded this year the most I think it ever had.

Hey John....Do/Will you have Beverly or Honey Kiss? If so when will they be ready?  Thanks.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 02:15:20 PM »
Beverly is sure thing, Honey Kiss  I don't have ,I was still thinking of growing it might be worth a [shot]

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 02:37:08 PM »
Beverly is sure thing, Honey Kiss  I don't have ,I was still thinking of growing it might be worth a [shot]

What are the "approximate" dates for Beverly....from when to when?  Do you also grow avocados?  Thank you.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 05:49:12 PM »
There is no good Lancetilla, at least that is grown in Florida (cantvsay what its like grown in Honduras).  Fruit is big but so what.  It has a propensity for splitting before it ripens (I think thats a good thing with this variety) as its taste is, as stated, meh and that is being kind.
- Rob

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 08:31:29 PM »
I must be very good at growing Lancetilla as they don't have issues with splitting.There is science to growing well.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 09:24:55 PM »
I must be very good at growing Lancetilla as they don't have issues with splitting.There is science to growing well.

I am sending Dominic over to taste test.  He said to save him a real good one.
- Rob

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 09:26:50 PM »

I am sending Dominic over to taste test.  He said to save him a real good one.

Lol! I'll probably be by tomorrow or Thursday.  ;D
Dom

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 10:07:19 AM »
Its on Fairchilds, list that's why people probably have it, other than that it is a waste.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
I've never enjoyed it (though my wife does), but I'll accept that maybe I'm not giving it optimal growing conditions.

Production has never been good for me. The tree is attractive though. Nice shade tree. I'm just waiting for my wife to get bored of it so I can topwork it :D

Jeff  :-)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 01:36:29 PM »
I decided to give Shot's Lancetilla a shot and stopped by earlier today. He had a whole box of very clean looking fruit for sale, avg 3 lbs some larger none split. The one he cut for me and my son to taste was very good not meh or a waste at all. He said there were 100 on the tree so maybe he has broken the code on this mango. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 01:39:10 PM »
HAHAHA Very interesting. Wonder if mine lacks Calcium.

I decided to give Shot's Lancetilla a shot and stopped by earlier today. He had a whole box of very clean looking fruit for sale, avg 3 lbs some larger none split. The one he cut for me and my son to taste was very good not meh or a waste at all. He said there were 100 on the tree so maybe he has broken the code on this mango.
Jeff  :-)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
PIN lists Lancetilla as a September mango.  Anyone know how roughly late into September? Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk