Author Topic: Good fruiting indoor plants  (Read 1807 times)

enthdegree

• Tempe
    • View Profile
    • my blog
Good fruiting indoor plants
« on: May 26, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »
Hi everyone, I live in an apartment with a south-facing window in Phoenix and I'd like to start getting into fruiting plants.

What are some neat/exotic fruits that will grow well indoors here?

I've just gotten a peanut butter fruit plant from Logees which I've read is fairly easy to maintain, although it is about the biggest thing I would consider growing here. Is there anything better I'm missing out on?

I might try a Ficus Carica (petite fig) next.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:42:17 PM by enthdegree »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Good fruiting indoor plants
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 10:50:52 PM »
I don't know anything about growing fruits in an apartment but do understand the urge to plant and create. How about finding an elderly person who might enjoy someone helping in their yard? You get more room to grow and they get their property tended by someone who cares. Some of them are lonely and would appreciate the company.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 11:40:13 PM »
You could try some citrus.  They can be pruned to stay small, and several folks on the Forum have had good luck with them indoors.  I did have a banana bloom indoors once. My sister has a small fig tree that she keeps in the house over the winter, and it does pretty well, but doesn't fruit until she moves it outdoors in the spring.  You could probably do tomatoes also, although you may need supplemental light for any of those.  T5 or T8 shop lights with cool white bulbs work well.

Good luck!

Carolyn

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 12:46:01 AM »
Even with a window you might still need supplemental light. Citrus is a good suggestion or Starfruit might work also. Any fruit that can be container grown and managed might be a possibility. I just don't know if the fruit will taste good or sweet enough without unfiltered sunlight but why the heck not try!! Please keep us updated.

sobars_machado

• India, Maharashtra, Mumbai, Vasai (Konkan region - Tropical)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 06:43:08 PM »
You can grow calamondin and nagami kumquat very easily indoor. Also some orange and mandarins. I had them on my terrace, under metal sheet roof, so they were getting only the late afternoon sun from around 3 to 5 pm. All other time only indirect daylight and they were fruiting very good. They are still alive, but just moved them outside due to house renovation.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 01:25:46 PM »
You're really going to want plants that can fruit in shade. How about coffee? But of course all of these plants require pollination to fruit which is a problem when indoors. Seedless fruits do not so you might try pineapple (needs sunlight though) or perhaps even babaco.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 07:11:50 PM »
Miracle fruit grew well for me in an apartment.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 08:08:50 PM »
Yeah that's a good one; it's a shade tree and I believe the flowers can be pollinated just with wind or shaking the tree.

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 09:18:37 PM »
Finger limes? Sapodilla Alano? Pineapples?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk