Author Topic: Biologists are working to preserve the cambucá in the mountainous region of Rio  (Read 11614 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
the plinia physician, Myrciaria MD

;)  ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Thanks for posting Steven. One thing I learned was the correct pronunciation of the fruit name. I would always stress the 2nd syllable.

15-18 years to wait for fruit, huh? Damn...

When my seedlings get bigger I will be asking someone for budwood to graft for sure.

Thanks again,
Jaime

Hi Jaime, i'm happy to tell you that this information is not correct. My cambuca tree took about 10 years to fruit. And that was because i gave it too much shade. My second cambuca tree i planted in full sun and is growing twice as fast. It fruited in about 6 years. I think though grafting would be good idea to experiment with, especially since you have the Myrtaceous wiz kid (Adam) in your neck of the woods. ;)

Oscar,
Great to hear that cambucá doesn't take so long to produce 8) Thanks for sharing...Full sun for cambucá, you got it, Sir ;D

I should clarify, so you don't toast your plants and blame me.  :'(  Like so many plants the small seedling plants appreciate some shade, especially in summer or places with high intensity of UV. Once they get 1-2 feet tall they can go into full sun.

Hi Oscar,
 ;D I always give shade to young trees for the first few months, or until they can take the sun :) The sun here will definitely burn the leaves. My cambucá ain't feeling happy and is in intensive care...receiving what the Plinia doctor ordered...hopefully the tree will recover asap :)

Good! You listen to the Dr. HAHAHA
Oscar

ricardorvb

• Sao Paulo , SP , Brasil
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting Steven. One thing I learned was the correct pronunciation of the fruit name. I would always stress the 2nd syllable.

15-18 years to wait for fruit, huh? Damn...

When my seedlings get bigger I will be asking someone for budwood to graft for sure.

Thanks again,
Jaime
Cambucá : say fast: cam(from camera)bu( from bull)ca(car-r)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Interesting thread. I ate two Cambuca fruit yesterday and planted the seeds. Both fruits were ripe and had split across the bottom until the seed was being pushed out but it had no flies or any rot, very tasty fruit. There are two trees on my neighbor's place, I began dumping used potting soil under them last year and the tree has responded with a few fruit. No one knew what it was and it hadn't fruited for years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk