Author Topic: Avocado Tree help needed  (Read 324 times)

esmithj333

• USA, GA, zone 9
    • View Profile
Avocado Tree help needed
« on: November 29, 2023, 06:32:00 PM »
Hello Everyone! I got my Lila avocado tree this past spring and it was doing great. Over the last couple months it started show signs of burnt leaves and ends of branches. So I treated it with copper fungicide twice and lastly with some neem oil. It recovered after if defoliated. The disease or fungus has returned with a vengeance. Does anyone here have any ideas on what it might be and if it can be saved? It’s looking pretty bad right now. Thanks for any advice anyone might have!

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
Re: Avocado Tree help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 08:59:02 PM »
Do you have photos of the way the leaves looked before you applied the fungicide? What kind of soil is it planted in, and what are your watering practices? Is that planted in direct sun?

At this point I don't really have any recommendations because all I see is a dying avocado tree. It could have been either drought stress or over-watering paired with sunburn, or maybe salt stress if you're near the coast or on salty soil, but at this point it's progressed too much to easily know what combination of factors contributed to its demise.

I say figure out what killed it so you can avoid it happening to your next tree, and maybe in spring that one will surprise you and regrow above the graft, but don't be surprised if it doesn't recover. Maybe the rootstock will come back if it was drought and you have good rain this winter and spring.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:03:29 PM by drymifolia »

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 08:35:46 AM »
My usual question on observing a dying avocado "was it recently fertilized?"  Being guilty of overfertilizing and/or fertilizing a sick plant (especially avocados) I learned the hard way about using fertilizer sparingly.

Avofan

• Oakland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 06:15:09 PM »
Pull it out - examine the roots - accept the loss and move on.
There will probably be little to no white on the roots meaning the roots are dead.
The roots like decomposed granite, at least around the top
Test the hole you took it out of for drainage. Fill it up with water twice -the second time, measure the amount of time it takes to drain which will determine if you want to plant it fully in ground, half rootball above ground, or fully above ground (around 2 hours or more drainage time).
Finally put young trees on daily drip irrigation, small amount of water to keep moisture but not soggy at all times.Put a mound of coarse mulch on top up to a foot tall

Avofan

• Oakland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 06:19:46 PM »
Looks like the roots weren’t established and it got a lot of sun and got sunburned to death. When they are lanky like this you need to protect from full sun and/or whitewash the branches because they have weak roots and can’t transpire to cool off

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk